MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-05-2008 at 03:59 PM   #1
hello395

Please Help
I'm going into my first year at life sci and I just noticed that Physics 1B03 is full. I've been checking for days if it is available, but it's still full. I don't know if I can take Physics 1L03 because I have completed my Grade 12 Physics course with above 60%. Also, some post-graduate programs require a full credit in physical sciences; so does that mean that even though I got above 60% in my Grade 12 Physics U class, I can still take Physics 1L03 in term 1 and Physics 1B03 in term 2 next year? Or must I take both in first year? I really don't know what to do, and my SOLAR closing date is tomorrow. Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-05-2008 at 04:29 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Physics 1L03's pre-reqs are:
Quote:
One of Grade 12 Advanced Functions U, Grade 12 Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus U, MATH 1K03
It doesn't say anything about completing Physics in highschool. As long as you've taken Advanced Fundctions or Calculus then you can take 1L03.

However, Physics 1B03, by looking at the Course Calendar, clearly states that you need:
Quote:
One of Grade 12 Physics U, PHYSICS 1L03, 1P03; and one of Grade 12 Calculus and Vectors U, MATH 1F03; and credit or registration in SCIENCE 1A00
Therefore, if you want to take 1B03 you will need the highschool math that is required, and then either (a) have taken and passed Grade 12 physics U and have the credit, or (b) have already taken Physics 1L03.

Thus if you DIDN'T pass physics in highschool, you'd have to take Physics 1L03 in first semester, and then 1B03 in second semester... as Physics 1L03 would be required.

However, if you did pass physics in highschool, then you don't need to take 1L03 in order to take 1B03 since you have the highschool physics requirement, and you could therefore take 1B03 in first semester... or take both 1L03 AND 1B03 in first semester if you really wanted to take both. However, first-year LIFE SCI only requires you to take 1 of those physics so you don't have to take both.

Contact your Faculty office's academic advisors for further clarification.

says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 07-05-2008 at 05:05 PM   #3
hello395

Thanks. Also, since the Physics 1B03 is already full, is it okay if I take that in summer school (at another university besides mcmaster)? And will that summer school credit be considered for admission into the second year programs?

And, I took the Advanced Functions and Introductory Calculus course in high school along with Geometry Discrete; does that meet the requirement for Advanced Functions and Calculus and Vectors both? Because when I tried to add physics 1b03 on the day that Solar opened for life sci students, it said that I didnt meet the requisite requirement for it. I don't know about that now though because it's full so I can't try again.

Last edited by hello395 : 07-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:00 PM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

I think the problem is that you seem to have taken your math courses prior to the 2007 math curriculum revisions that took place. The prerequisites listed for 1B03 now are different than they were last year, because Mac would have assumed that those students who were incoming this year would have taken their grade 12 math courses during 2007-2008. See this page from the 2007 calendar, and you can see how it changed: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...7/crs_2052.htm

What this means is that technically you *don't* have the prerequisites to take 1B03, because you don't have the Calculus and Vectors (MCV4U) course, and this is why SOLAR wasn't letting you add it. You appear to have fallen into one of the "exceptions" that would affect only a few students, but I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet - course registrations can always be changed later, even if SOLAR tells you they're "full" or if the closing date has passed - that power lies in the hands of the academic advisors for the Faculty of Science.

Basically, what I'd do at this point is register for 1L03, and contact the advisors in the Associate Dean's office. Explain the situation, and ask them if you can have permission to take 1B03 instead. 1B03 is a required course, so they wouldn't put people who are qualified to take it in 1L03 just because it's "full" and hence force them to be behind a course in physics (since 1B03 is a prerequisite for a lot of 2nd year courses).

You can take an equivalent to 1B03 at another university and have the credit transferred over, just make sure it's actually recognized as an equivalent course. Check this out ahead of time with Mac (the Physics department). If it is recognized, then it'll be fine as a prerequisite.

Last edited by lorend : 07-05-2008 at 08:29 PM.

says thanks to Cippi for this post.
Old 07-05-2008 at 08:29 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

In order to see if a course is equivalent at another school you need to meet with the Department Head and get their okay, and fill out a bunch of forms.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

says thanks to lorend for this post.