Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Brother 8 Chad General Discussion 27 09-03-2007 11:32 PM

please help a brother outttt

Old 05-25-2011 at 08:30 AM   #1
The MACster

Liked: 10 Times

please help a brother outttt
A soccer ball is kicked from the ground. When it reaches a height of 5.94 m, the velocity is v=4.53i+7.68j m/s. Determine the maximum height that the ball reaches.
Determine the total horizontal distance travelled by the ball.
What is the speed of the soccer ball just before it hits the ground?

Im found the max height to be 8.95 m which is correct but i can't seem to figure out the horizontal distance and the final speed.

Pleaseee help!!!
Old 05-25-2011 at 08:53 AM   #2
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MACster View Post
A soccer ball is kicked from the ground. When it reaches a height of 5.94 m, the velocity is v=4.53i+7.68j m/s. Determine the maximum height that the ball reaches.
Determine the total horizontal distance travelled by the ball.
What is the speed of the soccer ball just before it hits the ground?

Im found the max height to be 8.95 m which is correct but i can't seem to figure out the horizontal distance and the final speed.

Pleaseee help!!!
is this really a first year physics question

this is more like g12

DannyV likes this.
Old 05-25-2011 at 09:01 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The question is a bit annoying because they don't give you initial values, but all you need to figure out both values you haven't solved for yet is the total travel time.

Finding the time isn't particularly difficult, just use the Vf^2+Vi^2+2ad equation and solve for Vf (Starting from the max height, we know Vi = 0m/s, a = -9.8m/s/s, and d = 8.95m). Once you have Vf, plug it into the Vf=Vi+a*t equation and solve for t. The t that you solve for here is the time it takes for the ball to drop from it's max height back to the ground, which will be exactly half the time the ball will be in the air.

Horizontal distance traveled is just df = di+v*(2t) where v is the given horizontal vector (Haven't taken physics in 3 years so I can't remember if j or i is horizontal) and di=0. Also, remember we're using 2t because the t we calculated earlier is only half the total travel time.

Final velocity is just pluging the vf and horizontal v from earlier into the Pythagorean theorem.

Hope that helps.

The MACster says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 05-25-2011 at 01:22 PM   #4
Twelve Chars

Liked: 318 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
is this really a first year physics question

this is more like g12
There is a lot of overlap between grade 12 and first year. Almost everything covered in the first half of first year calc we touched on in high school.