MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-08-2010 at 03:27 PM   #1
nanaaoyama

Liked: 0 Times

Please help me out
I just got transferred from Ryerson to Mcmaster in level II chemical engineering. The thing is i didn't get the credits for materials, design course, safety and ethics. 1A00, 1C03, 1P03, MATLS 1M03 Therefore, they are not letting me taking core level II courses. What do i do? Should i stay at ryerson and spend 1 year at mac and doing nothing. So they are saying you can only take electives, two maths (level II), and one or two chem (level II ) courses.

Ok if you were at me, what would you do?
Old 08-08-2010 at 03:47 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanaaoyama View Post
I just got transferred from Ryerson to Mcmaster in level II chemical engineering. The thing is i didn't get the credits for materials, design course, safety and ethics. 1A00, 1C03, 1P03, MATLS 1M03 Therefore, they are not letting me taking core level II courses. What do i do? Should i stay at ryerson and spend 1 year at mac and doing nothing. So they are saying you can only take electives, two maths (level II), and one or two chem (level II ) courses.

Ok if you were at me, what would you do?
First, I think you should go to eng. student services if you have the time - those ladies are awesome.

Second, from my experience, I think they'll likely not let you do chem eng till you have those credits... next year :( You could, however get a good head start on your electives, and it looks like you could probably do 2nd year math, and perhaps some other courses you'll need in the end.

The guidance people will be able to help you best.
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:11 PM   #3
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

You should definitely go in and discuss your options with an engineering advisor as soon as possible as they'll have the best information.

It does sound like you'll be looking at a 5 year degree though, in this case you could use this coming year to start work on a minor or maybe even position yourself to do the Engineering and Society program (note the GPA requirements are typically higher for this though). One of weakest areas of most engineering programs is that students don't get enough breadth outside of the core science/math/engineering area, because there's so much to cover. So you shouldn't necessarily think of a 5 year degree as a bad thing, it might give you the opportunity to discover areas outside of engineering that really interest you. Relative to a 40+ year career, the difference between taking 4 or 5 years to complete your degree is pretty minor. Note that if you're on OSAP and decide to take 5 years to complete your degree, you should talk to the financial aid office to ensure there's no issues.

As for moving to McMaster / staying at Ryerson, there are a lot of factors besides the academic ones to consider. After you talk to the engineering advisors, you'll really have to look into those trade-offs and try and figure out what is best for you. If you gave us some more information about your situation, I'm sure people would be happy to give you some things to think about.
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:26 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Go into the office in the Engineering building and have a chat with Sally Williams if you can. She will help you figure out what you need and point you in the right direction!