MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Origins Public Lecture: Dr. Steven Benner temara.brown Academics 0 05-25-2009 06:29 PM
Battle of the Bands snaps General Discussion 3 03-22-2009 01:47 PM
Campus Battle '09 kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 5 02-03-2009 08:43 AM
Battle of the Laptops Chad Technology 2 08-17-2007 11:17 PM
Battle Of The Bands Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-04-2007 02:54 PM

Please Help Steven Pho In His Battle With Leukemia

Old 08-26-2009 at 09:42 AM   #1
iamcanadian

Liked: 1 Time

Please Help Steven Pho In His Battle With Leukemia
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys in on a little situation I came across a couple days ago. I never write messages of this kind, but after what I learned I felt I needed to. I kindly request that you read the entire blurb below very carefully. Thanks.

Yesterday evening, I was approached by three individuals at a plaza who provided me with some information regarding their friend, Steve Pho. Steve, who is a 22 year old student at York University, was diagnosed with leukemia two years ago and is desperately in need of a bone marrow transplant. He is having a very difficult time finding a match, however.

Steve is of Chinese and Vietnamese descent. According to scientific studies, a match is most likely to be found within the patient's ethnic group. That means that it is especially important that East, South-East, and South Asians take this information into special consideration. Nevertheless, a match could be found within any ethnicity, so it is important that everyone read this.

If Steve does not find a match, he only has approximately 2 months to live.

I kindly request that you register at www.onematch.ca , by clicking on "click here to join OneMatch today". Complete the Step1 information package. After you have registered, you will be sent a buccal swab test kit in the mail. All you have to do is perform the test (which merely consists of swabbing the inside of your mouth) and return it back in the mail. Everything is completely confidential. If you don't end up being a match for Steve, you may be a match for another person who needs a transplant.

Note that if you live outside Canada, you have to contact the Red Cross Association.

I kindly request that you please forward this message to as many people as you can. The more people that are registered, the larger the database of potential donors there will be.

If you would like to speak to me about this issue, please send me a separate message. Please do not reply directly to this message.

Your efforts could give Steve, or another person another chance at life. I really appreciate you reading this. Thanks

Facebook group: RELENTLESS FOR STEVE

YouTube videos of Steve's condition being discussed on the news:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dkCHNvwcfs (Vietnamese News)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO4_4DbzY3U (Canadian News)

Last edited by iamcanadian : 08-26-2009 at 11:41 AM.

pinkshuniza, temara.brown all say thanks to iamcanadian for this post.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:34 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Thank you for posting this. This story really hit me hard as its something very close to my heart. I'm definitely going to check out that website and I encourage others to.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:41 AM   #3
iamcanadian

I am glad the story hit you as hard as it hit me. Steve is a complete stranger to me, yet I feel the sudden need to help him out. I really hope he finds a match soon.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:46 AM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian View Post
I am glad the story hit you as hard as it hit me. Steve is a complete stranger to me, yet I feel the sudden need to help him out. I really hope he finds a match soon.
I was reading on the site some more and it really got me. It said only 30% of people who need matches are able to get bone marrow or stem cells from a relative. I wasn't aware of this at all. It makes me aware that my family was extremely lucky. When I was only 2 1/2 years old my mother needed bone marrow transplant but fortunately (and apparently very fortunately) for her she had a sister who was a match. I can't imagine what my life would be like if they couldn't find a match for her.

I hope they find a match for Steven and many, many others with this website.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:35 PM   #5
iamcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I was reading on the site some more and it really got me. It said only 30% of people who need matches are able to get bone marrow or stem cells from a relative. I wasn't aware of this at all. It makes me aware that my family was extremely lucky. When I was only 2 1/2 years old my mother needed bone marrow transplant but fortunately (and apparently very fortunately) for her she had a sister who was a match. I can't imagine what my life would be like if they couldn't find a match for her.

I hope they find a match for Steven and many, many others with this website.
Hey sew12! That's awesome that your mother found a match! Steve's sister tried as well, but unfortunately, she wasn't a match. If you could spread the word about Steve, that would be really great.
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:49 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Hey sew12! That's awesome that your mother found a match! Steve's sister tried as well, but unfortunately, she wasn't a match. If you could spread the word about Steve, that would be really great.
If people could Twitter this or add it to their Facebook status that might help get some people to notice.
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:15 PM   #7
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

thanks.. i didn't know about that site. I signed up for that and told my friends about this i think it's a great service.
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:49 PM   #8
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

This brings up a good topic of organ donation in general.. make sure you sign your donor card and inform your family members of your decision! Too many people are on waiting lists. Check out this link for more information about organ donation and getting registered: http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/

Last edited by temara.brown : 08-26-2009 at 10:57 PM.

iamcanadian says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:10 PM   #9
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
This brings up a good topic of organ donation in general.. make sure you sign your donor card and inform your family members of your decision! Too many people are on waiting lists. Check out this link for more information about organ donation and getting registered: http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/
Thanks for that information. That's definitely something I want to do. If anything ever happens to me all of the sudden I want any part of me that can possibly be used to save someone else to go to good use.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:10 PM   #10
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Actually, before this post came up I had already been on the Bone Marrow list. I'm a hardcore blood donor but bone marrow is less needed than blood and you can't just go and donate. You need to be someone's match.
Old 08-26-2009 at 11:27 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I signed up for this thing after reading this. Heh, for some reason I used to think a bone marrow transplant involved breaking open your arm and dumping out the delicious marrow for the person you're donating to, leaving you in a sling :p.

temara.brown says thanks to Ownaginatios for this post.

iamcanadian likes this.
Old 08-27-2009 at 09:22 AM   #12
iamcanadian

For those of you who don't know, donating bone marrow stem cells is virtually painless during the process, as you are put under anesthesia. they extract the cells via a needle...you may have some soreness or aching in the lower back for a bit after the process, but it will go away...you just gotta have a positive mindset and you'll be fine
Old 08-27-2009 at 09:30 AM   #13
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
For those of you who don't know, donating bone marrow stem cells is virtually painless during the process, as you are put under anesthesia. they extract the cells via a needle...you may have some soreness or aching in the lower back for a bit after the process, but it will go away...you just gotta have a positive mindset and you'll be fine
Though that is true, I have been told by an individual who donated bone marrow that it is very painful afterwards so be sure not to have any plans for later that day. I still recommend those who can donate to do it, but know that it's not as easy as donating blood. I would still donate bone marrow despite knowing how painful it is.
Old 08-27-2009 at 09:38 AM   #14
iamcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Though that is true, I have been told by an individual who donated bone marrow that it is very painful afterwards so be sure not to have any plans for later that day. I still recommend those who can donate to do it, but know that it's not as easy as donating blood. I would still donate bone marrow despite knowing how painful it is.
Everyone reacts to pain differently. I agree with you, ferreinm...i would still donate despite the pain.
Old 08-27-2009 at 10:13 AM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

You'd have to weigh the pros and cons.

Saving someone's life vs a day or so of pain

I see a clear winner.

temara.brown likes this.