Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CPR certification SciMania Volunteering Opportunities 3 04-05-2010 10:31 PM

PMI CAPM certification.

Old 07-11-2013 at 02:04 AM   #1
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

PMI CAPM certification.
So, has anyone done the CAPM certification? I'm really thinking of doing this PMI course and I'm just wondering about it, I saw some Deloitte internships that are for 3rd year students and they said that CAPM certification is a good asset to have...
Old 07-11-2013 at 08:11 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

On my list to-do, you'd have to be studying PMBOK 5 since no more exams will be written based on PMBOK 4. I suggest waiting for a while until some of the more notable PMBOK 4 authors come out with material for PMBOK 5. There really isn't much difference between the two, just a new knowledge area regarding Stakeholders.
Old 07-11-2013 at 11:36 AM   #3
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I obtained my CAPM certification back in 2011. I think it's a good asset to have on your resume as it is another qualification that distinguishes you from the crowd. It's a good skill/knowledge area to prove your qualification because PM is relevant in all fields.

However, don't expect the certification to do much in terms of boosting your salary, as it is an entry level status. The PMP would obviously be better in terms of recognition, but you will need some work experience first. But even with a PMP, I wouldn't expect a major salary bump, as it currently isn't required as an industry standard (i.e. its not like a license).

But considering the little cost/time of obtaining the PMI certifications, versus other designations, you probably can't go wrong with getting it.
Old 07-11-2013 at 11:40 AM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
I obtained my CAPM certification back in 2011. I think it's a good asset to have on your resume as it is another qualification that distinguishes you from the crowd. It's a good skill/knowledge area to prove your qualification because PM is relevant in all fields.

However, don't expect the certification to do much in terms of boosting your salary, as it is an entry level status. The PMP would obviously be better in terms of recognition, but you will need some work experience first. But even with a PMP, I wouldn't expect a major salary bump, as it currently isn't required as an industry standard (i.e. its not like a license).

But considering the little cost/time of obtaining the PMI certifications, versus other designations, you probably can't go wrong with getting it.
This is true, but more and more companies are now making it either required or prefer candidates with the PMP certification done (1st preference) or CAPM (2nd preference). It's just becoming a trend now, so regardless of it becoming an industry standard, it's already being practiced by a lot of companies. Just makes the list of potential candidates much smaller and such.
Old 07-12-2013 at 12:58 AM   #5
allanandthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
On my list to-do, you'd have to be studying PMBOK 5 since no more exams will be written based on PMBOK 4. I suggest waiting for a while until some of the more notable PMBOK 4 authors come out with material for PMBOK 5. There really isn't much difference between the two, just a new knowledge area regarding Stakeholders.
Yeah, i found a great deal on PMBOK5 on Kijiji so I really wanna study it hard this summer before school starts. Have you done the PMI 23 class hours? I'm thinking of doing it on PMCampus online...
Old 07-12-2013 at 01:02 AM   #6
allanandthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post

I was wondering if you did applied with the actual work hours or applied with the 23 course hours to sit the exam? What do you think of PMCampus and courses like that online? Would it give me an edge or would be a good investment if I take the exam this year? I'm going into first year and I just want a head start to get a better chance at internships for second, third and fourth year. My thought is that if I do it now, i can renew it once I'm immediately done Uni.
Old 07-12-2013 at 08:16 AM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
Yeah, i found a great deal on PMBOK5 on Kijiji so I really wanna study it hard this summer before school starts. Have you done the PMI 23 class hours? I'm thinking of doing it on PMCampus online...
No, I haven't. At my workplace we have PMP sessions led by the PMO Manager, so I can use those hours instead.
Old 07-12-2013 at 09:50 AM   #8
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I was wondering if you did applied with the actual work hours or applied with the 23 course hours to sit the exam? What do you think of PMCampus and courses like that online? Would it give me an edge or would be a good investment if I take the exam this year? I'm going into first year and I just want a head start to get a better chance at internships for second, third and fourth year. My thought is that if I do it now, i can renew it once I'm immediately done Uni.
I applied with the course hours, as I attended a college program for PM. I haven't tried any online PM courses, so I can't speak to those. But I would say as long as they satisfy the 23 hour requirement for PMI then it's fine. No employer is going to ask you about that. A suggestion would be to choose a course that also helps with examprep in addition to teaching PM knowledge, that way you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Typically you can't apply for internships until after 3rd year, but if you want to have the CAPM designation for coop work, then go ahead and obtain it. In terms of renewal, as the CAPM only lasts 5 years, it may be good to delay certification for a little bit...to ensure you still have the designation around the time you graduate and a little after in case your concentrating on job applications/interviews and don't have time to take the exam immediately.