Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Work 4D06/4DD6 jamescw1234 4th Year Course Reviews 0 04-13-2012 07:10 PM
Political Science 4D06 dede90 Academics 0 09-13-2011 07:18 PM

Pnb 3qq3, 4qq3, 4d06, 4d09 Help!!

Old 06-29-2013 at 07:21 PM   #1
TF07

Liked: 0 Times

Pnb 3qq3, 4qq3, 4d06, 4d09 Help!!
Going into social sciences next year, my under grad calender says to take these courses if you plan on going to graduate school/ its research oriented, but what courses can i take in first year to make sure i have all the requisites for these kinds of courses??? thanks!
Old 06-29-2013 at 08:33 PM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

ULTIMATELY, to answer your question, you don't need to worry about any of these courses right now. You're in first year social science, which is a general stream. I take it that you're interested in entering PNB, so I'd recommend you focus on getting into the program first before thinking about the upper year courses of the program. It's a limited enrolment program and there's competition for spots, so just try to do well in the first year psych courses and the other pre-reqs and don't worry about these later courses.

as for the course descriptions and break downs:

The QQ3s are independent study courses where you run a small research project under the supervision of the professor. 4D06 and 4D09 are thesis courses. A thesis is a research project supervised by a professor, except it's far more work than a QQ3 and you have to submit a final written report. There is no written report for QQ3s.

the reason these courses are important for graduate school and research oriented fields is because they give you experience in a research setting. most psych grad schools in ontario require you to have completed a thesis in undergrad.

If you are unable to find a supervisor or don't qualify for a thesis but still want to go to graduate school, the department recommends you take two 4QQ3s so that it kind of adds up to an equivalent research experience.

differences between the specific course codes you mentioned:
3QQ3 is basically the same as the 4QQ3.
4D09 is a 9 unit thesis. It's more intensive, work-wise, as you are expected to spend more time each week in the lab doing research. You can only do a 4D09 with a professor from the PNB department (one from the internal list). You must present your research at the year-end poster fair.

4D06 are 6 unit theses. Presenting your research at the poster fair is optional. You can do a 4D06 with an external professor (one who is not in the department, but is on the external profs list on the pnb department site).

thuks0251 likes this.