Anyone dropping Econ 2J03 jindal Academics 0 01-07-2010 03:36 PM
French 2J03 nh999 2nd Year Course Reviews 0 12-29-2008 09:50 AM

Pol Sci 2J03 Exam Discussion

Old 04-22-2010 at 11:41 AM   #1
GHislop

Liked: 0 Times

Pol Sci 2J03 Exam Discussion
Hey all.
I thought I'd start a discussion thread for the Global Political Economy exam, and see if we can't generate some study self-help. My thinking was that anyone who's interested could post any helpful insight they might have and/or ask some study questions. To start it off, I thought I'd post some of the old exams from the course in case anyone hasn't been able to find them. If anyone has any questions about the material, post them here and we'll see if we can get them answered.
Oh, and before I go, does anyone know if Prof. O'Brien released a list of topics for this exam? I missed that class if he did, so if anyone could post that list, I'd be forever grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pol Sci 2J03 Old Exam.pdf (45.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: pdf Pol Sci 2J03 Old Exam2.pdf (28.7 KB, 85 views)
Old 04-25-2010 at 05:09 PM   #2
bahrame

what question do you think would appear on the exam?
Old 04-25-2010 at 05:55 PM   #3
GHislop

I'm betting that he'll recycle some from the old tests, but I don't know which ones. Do you know if he announced any topics?

Last edited by GHislop : 04-25-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2010 at 05:57 PM   #4
bahrame

these r the questions he mentioned in class but he didn't tell us for sure he was going to use them

1) Assess the economic nationalist, liberal and critical interpretations of the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis (could be any other crisis).
2) How does the work of Robert Cox, Robert Keohane and Susan Strange help us understand the global political economy?
3) Assess the implications of environmental degradation for the study of global political economy (could be other issues such as gender, division of labour, ideas. Etc).
4) Which theoretical perspectives or combination of perspectives do you find most convincing and why?
5) What role do transnational corporations play in the global economy?
6) What are the prospects for governance of the GPE?
Old 04-25-2010 at 07:30 PM   #5
GHislop

Well, if the last exams are any indicator, we'll have to pick two of those as essay questions, and then there'll be a bunch of short answer quesstions mainly involving the boxes in the text.
Old 04-25-2010 at 07:37 PM   #6
dede90

if i recall correctly, after we badgered him a few times in lecture, that those questions will definately not be on the test and that they were just examples.
There will probably be variations as you noted in your brackets
Old 04-25-2010 at 07:44 PM   #7
GHislop

Good to know, I was planning on studying those essays, which might not have worked so well.
Old 04-25-2010 at 11:14 PM   #8
pd444

what terms do you think he is going to put?
he should have given us a list of terms that we could've studied from, which would help narrow the terms down.

As it was mentioned above, did he say that the terms that were given in class are not going to be on the exam?
Old 04-26-2010 at 09:46 AM   #9
GHislop

I'd say your best bet is to study the boxes in the text, that seems to have been where he got his terms in the last few tests.
Old 04-26-2010 at 11:10 AM   #10
dede90

anyone want to throw out new terms that were not on those exams that they think the prof may ask? I'm compiling a list and going through them all. If other people throw out ideas it may help others who may have missed the concept or term?

Anyways, I've added:
Pax Brittanica
Pacifix Paradox
Covert World
Glass Ceiling
Microcredit
and Globalizing elites to my list of possible definitions.
Anyone think of anything else?