MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is anyone dropping Poli Sci? siddiquo First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-13-2010 08:05 PM
Has anyone taken Poli Sci 2J03? goldfish101 Academics 3 04-18-2010 06:02 PM
Poli Sci 2H03 marissac42 Academics 0 01-18-2010 10:26 PM
Poli.Sci & Econ Major??? Maudjee22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 01-18-2010 10:00 AM
Majoring in Poli.Sci Maudjee22 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 12-27-2009 09:04 PM

Poli Sci major

Old 03-28-2010 at 06:03 PM   #1
Maudjee22

Liked: 4 Times

Poli Sci major
Heyy....
so i'm just finishing up my first year and plan on majoring in poli sci.
i was looking at the courses for second year and lookin at the honours BA requirements for poli sci, and i am a little lost/confused.
It says that only a maximum of 12 units may be poli sci in second year...and another 12 in third year. see the thing is, i wanted to take more than just 12 units of second year poli sci......so... whats the deal?
**see for yourself: http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/poli...uirements.html
so lost!

PLEASE HELP!
anyone who is currently in the honours poli sci major, it would sooo great!

THANKS!
Old 03-28-2010 at 06:21 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudjee22 View Post
Heyy....
so i'm just finishing up my first year and plan on majoring in poli sci.
i was looking at the courses for second year and lookin at the honours BA requirements for poli sci, and i am a little lost/confused.
It says that only a maximum of 12 units may be poli sci in second year...and another 12 in third year. see the thing is, i wanted to take more than just 12 units of second year poli sci......so... whats the deal?
**see for yourself: http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/poli...uirements.html
so lost!

PLEASE HELP!
anyone who is currently in the honours poli sci major, it would sooo great!

THANKS!
I think a better place to talk about your academic career would be with an academic advisor. While people on this site can help you with your problem, I always think its best to consult with a academic advisor, especially when it comes to picking your major/minor. You'll want to know exactly what you can/cannot do and these people can help you.
Old 03-28-2010 at 07:01 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'm in 4th year Pol Sci. You are only allowed to take 12 units of level II Pol Sci. This is to ensure that there are enough seats in level II Pol Sci classes for the rest of the Pol Sci students. The rest of your level II courses will have to be electives.
Old 03-28-2010 at 07:07 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

EDIT: Please disregard.
Old 03-28-2010 at 08:09 PM   #5
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I'm second year honours, so I think I might be able to help...

Yeah, you can't take more than 12 units of any Level II Poli Sci classes. You'll just have to pick the 12 units you like the most and run with them. It's kinda a problem if you have a bunch of classes that really seem interesting, but there are only certain ones that will help you stream into your preferred area of expertise (Public Policy, International Relations, Comparative Politics or Political Theory).

If you're still not sure as to which field you want to stream into, I would recommend taking one from each area.

There are a number of Level III classes that are similar to some Level II classes, so if you don't have room for one in second year, you can always take it in third.

Remember, though, 2O06 (Political Theory) is not included. It is also the best. Hands down.
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:06 PM   #6
Maudjee22

okay....
so basically.... im gonna be taking political theory regardless, then Cnd. politics since it is recommended to take one, and then one last poli sci?
and Chris... what do you mean political theory isnt included? So that counts as my 12 units, or no?

thanks for the help guys!!
Old 03-28-2010 at 10:14 PM   #7
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

Political Theory doesn't count toward your 12 units of Level II because it is mandatory. Could have sworn there was a note on there last year about Theory and Stats (mandatory for third year) not being part of your Level II and III classes, but I'm just going by memory now.

To check for sure, I would talk to an advisor.
Old 03-29-2010 at 09:19 AM   #8
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

c.erl is right, 2O06 and 3N06 don't count towards your "12 units of level II Pol Sci" and "12 units of level III Pol Sci". You can take 12 units of level II Pol Sci in addition to 2O06.

I don't know why that isn't noted on the requirements - it really should be.
Old 03-29-2010 at 09:36 AM   #9
Maudjee22

okay awesome!!!
now i know i can take at least 4 poli sci courses plus 2O06.

thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 03-29-2010 at 04:52 PM   #10
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I'm in third year Honours, and I strongly recommend taking all Political Science electives, unless you're doing a double major or minoring in something else. Taking a broad range of courses in second year helped me focus on what stream I wanted to enter (domestic/Canadian policy) and what streams I wanted to stay away from (IR).