MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Political Science Kathy2 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 05-29-2017 06:48 PM
Political Science 3Z03 Kathy2 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-11-2011 07:47 PM
Degree Requirements Honour Political Science littlejohnny Academics 2 05-14-2010 04:58 PM

Political Science Degree

Old 06-19-2011 at 04:45 PM   #1
variasa

Liked: 0 Times

Political Science Degree
Hello,

This might be a silly question, but I'm wondering what career opportunities there are with a degree in Political Science. I'm going into third year of Honours Poli Sci and I'm taking business classes as well to earn an integrated Business Certificate. I'm not sure if it would be best for me to try and do an internship or something similar so I can gain work experience for when I'm finished my degree. Is anyone else in the same situation, in the Poli Sci program, and has no idea what they want to do with their degree?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:23 PM   #2
MCMashetty

Liked: 15 Times

Become a Mercenary. Your business certificate will help you greatly in deciding what fees to set for your macabre practice.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:26 PM   #3
MCMashetty

Actually, I'm in the exact same situation as you, and have no idea what i'm going to do with my Poli sci degree. My T.A. told me (or rather my class) to pursue a Masters in Poli sci, and then a government policymaking job. Doesn't seem like a lot of fun, but apparently it pays well. Maybe you could try to get into law school?
Old 06-19-2011 at 05:34 PM   #4
MCMashetty

Also, definetly try for the internship. Apparently Ottawa and Queen's Park offer page internships to University grads, especially those interested in poli sci. It'll really help. Also, learn to speak french. According to my T.A., this opens up a whole bunchh of oppurtunities
Old 06-19-2011 at 08:40 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

There are books in Career Services titled "Jobs in ______ Degree". They have pretty much every degree possible. Go to the front desk and ask where to find it.
I would say an internship is good experience. I worked in Ottawa for the summer in an internship with the federal government. I have since changed my mind on what I want to do for a career, but it was a great experience and it would have been amazing for someone going into a political/government career. Check Oscar and various government job portals for internship listings.