Political Science 3X03 Kathy2 3rd Year Course Reviews 3 09-13-2011 11:04 AM
Political Science 1G06 soso Academics 0 06-20-2010 09:53 PM
Honours Political Science Ruggedman Academics 3 12-10-2009 07:10 PM

Political Science Seminars

Old 03-02-2010 at 06:51 PM   #1
danmaclennan

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Political Science Seminars
I recently switched from the Honours History program to Honours Political Science (Well actually I'm doing a double major now) And I just wanted to confirm that there is no seminar ballot for fourth year PoliSci seminars. Do you register for them on Solar just like any other class?

Can you and should you take them while in level III?

Is the penalty for canceling a seminar (History or PoliSci) the same as for any other course?

Thanks, Dan
Old 03-02-2010 at 07:06 PM   #2
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

You register for seminars on SOLAR just like any other class. You can't take them in third year (they are for fourth years and above only), but you can take one of the third year classes that is like a "practice seminar". Right now, I'm pretty sure they are Political Science 3B03, 3H03 and 3J03. They are bigger than a seminar but smaller than a regular lecture, and it helps you get a feel so what the seminar will be like the following year.

The penalty for cancelling a seminar is the same as any other course, but they are full year courses and they are required to graduate. That means if you're in fourth year and you cancel your seminar in November, it will be too late to pick up another seminar and you will have to come back to complete another seminar the following year.
Old 03-02-2010 at 07:45 PM   #3
danmaclennan

Liked: Liked 5 Times

Ugh, looks like I'll have to do my history seminars next year (level III) after all despite my lack of interest in the ones offered and open to people without level III prerequisites. Or is doing two seminars in 4th year not that bad? Thanks for the info!
Old 03-02-2010 at 07:54 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

I'm in Honours Political Science and everyone in my program has 2 seminars this year. It is slightly more work than regular classes, but it's not too bad. I'm taking two seminars, my regular course load, plus one extra course - and I'm doing fine. So don't worry about it
Old 03-02-2010 at 10:38 PM   #5
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I would highly recommend taking Political Science III seminars- I tried to take all three, but SOLAR wouldn't let me (I think Honours students may take a maximum of one). My class (Honours Topics in Canadian Politics: The Environment, with Professor Flynn) has about 20-25 people, and is research-driven and provokes stimulating and thoughtful discussion. I find it valuable as it helps me develop skills related to self-directed research, which is something I will find useful if I choose to write a thesis in my fourth year.

So yes, highly recommended without being burdensome to your course load!
Old 03-03-2010 at 01:43 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Each third or fourth year student can only take one of the third year "practice seminars".

I'm in Flynn's class too. I'm not sure how it works in the other third year practice seminars, but for Flynn's class it was split up like this..

Lectures on Monday, Wednesday and Friday every week until Reading Week, for the entire class (approx 50 people) to attend.
After Reading Week, there are lectures on Monday for everyone to attend. Then the class is split in half; one half attends Wednesday's seminar and the other half attends Friday's seminars.

Note: Fourth year seminars are 3 hours, all in one day, once per week (ie. Every Monday from 8:30am to 11:30am)