MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: A free online version of my textbook is available. Do I ditch buying the text?
No, buy the book 12 21.43%
Obv download the free text 40 71.43%
wat 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used Books = Save Money! Chad Buying Textbooks (new/used) & Courseware Tips 27 11-14-2016 01:47 AM
How to save money going home for the Thanksgiving Weekend cjordan The Secret Files 1 10-02-2010 08:49 PM
Save money on textbooks: save for later lorend Academics 3 01-30-2010 03:43 PM
MacInsiders Helping You to Save Money! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-11-2009 11:16 AM

Poll: Save textbook money with online PDFs?

Old 01-12-2010 at 12:37 PM   #16
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
No it can't.... this is another myth. There is no evidence that reading from a computer screen can cause damage to the eye, and in fact current research has shown the opposite - that there is no effect on the eye at all.

Complaints of discomfort are usually caused by eye dryness, as it has been shown that people tend to blink less often when concentrating. This however, is also commonplace among people who read a lot in general, and not just from computer screens.
Actually, reading from a computer screen (or book for that matter) for extended periods of time is not good for your eyes. Your eyes are only focused at a specific distance for lengthy periods which makes it so that your focusing muscles are overworked and "locked" in that position. That's why you develop eye strain, which itself isn't bad for your eyes (Except for the fact that every time you blink it feels like someone is stabbing you in the eye, although I might be slightly over exaggerating it does hurt a lot. I've experienced it before). But I'm sure that over time it will damage your eyes. That is what my optometrist told me anyways.

To counter this effect he told me to focus on distance objects every now and then so that your muscles are constantly being used.
Old 01-12-2010 at 12:47 PM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Actually, reading from a computer screen (or book for that matter) for extended periods of time is not good for your eyes. Your eyes are only focused at a specific distance for lengthy periods which makes it so that your focusing muscles are overworked and "locked" in that position. That's why you develop eye strain, which itself isn't bad for your eyes (Except for the fact that every time you blink it feels like someone is stabbing you in the eye, although I might be slightly over exaggerating it does hurt a lot. I've experienced it before). But I'm sure that over time it will damage your eyes. That is what my optometrist told me anyways.

To counter this effect he told me to focus on distance objects every now and then so that your muscles are constantly being used.
Yes, eye strain can be an issue, but that's not something which is exclusive to people who use computers which is my main point - reading a textbook online is no worse than reading a textbook on print, and neither can actually harm your eyes. (By harm I mean permanent damage... discomfort is a seperate issue).

The myth that using a computer for prolonged periods of time will harm your eyes is just that - a myth.
Old 01-12-2010 at 02:59 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Yes, eye strain can be an issue, but that's not something which is exclusive to people who use computers which is my main point - reading a textbook online is no worse than reading a textbook on print, and neither can actually harm your eyes. (By harm I mean permanent damage... discomfort is a seperate issue).

The myth that using a computer for prolonged periods of time will harm your eyes is just that - a myth.
Ah I see what you mean. That's why I also added reading a book in parenthesis. But yeah, they both have the same effect. It's just ridiculous to think that the electromagnetic waves emitted by a computer screen could damage your eyes. They aren't nearly as powerful enough to do so.
Old 01-12-2010 at 03:12 PM   #19
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

The pdfs are useful, but i also like to have the textbook.
Old 01-12-2010 at 05:07 PM   #20
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

If textbook cost is the major limiting factor (but you don't mind carrying around a textbook) you should consider borrowing your textbook from a campus library if it's available.

I've had a bunch of courses over the past few years where I've borrowed the text at the beginning of the year, renewed it online as needed, and just returned it at the end. It was awesome.
Old 01-12-2010 at 05:45 PM   #21
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

A lot of profs have been getting students to find articles online instead of buying courseware, which I love. My prof last term saved each student from paying $200 for courseware!

As for textbooks, I don't know. I don't usually buy those. When I do, I never read them. They are a waste to me either way. (This completely depends on your program and your course though)
Old 01-12-2010 at 06:39 PM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I use both; but the textbook ebook isn't always availible onlne.
Old 01-12-2010 at 08:04 PM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Hey Alborz, how's it going? (This is Mike, last term's Math 2A03 TA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alborz View Post
General Arguments for Buying the Text

1) There's no way I can study properly having to stare at a glowing screen for 3 hours straight. I am a concrete learner and need to have a book in front of me.
I think this is the bottom line...think of how much money you're spending on university. If it comes down to the choice of shelling out a little extra cash (not that much compared with your whole tuition cost), I definitely think it's worth it if it translates into better acquisition of knowledge. It's $50, $100, even $200 well spent, since it's the whole reason you're here.

See if someone preferred studying from a computer screen it changes things...but given that you need a book in front of you, that should be the bottom line. If you're really desperate and in a dire financial situation, keep in mind that most course texts are put on reserve at an appropriate library (Thode for science, Mills for humanities, etc.) by your prof. You can always go out of your way to study at the library which can be a good way for you to focus without spending a fortune on the text.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-12-2010 at 08:09 PM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
No it can't.... this is another myth. There is no evidence that reading from a computer screen can cause damage to the eye, and in fact current research has shown the opposite - that there is no effect on the eye at all.

Complaints of discomfort are usually caused by eye dryness, as it has been shown that people tend to blink less often when concentrating. This however, is also commonplace among people who read a lot in general, and not just from computer screens.
Whether or not there's a paper in existence that specifically says "Computer monitors do not harm your eyes" I don't know since I'm not exactly up on my medical journals anymore. But I do know that there's an entire area of ergonomics devoted just to computer workstations and it's recommended that you stop working every hour or so to avoid musculo-skeletal problems (like repetitive strain injuries, back and neck pain, etc).

Though this problem may very well exist when reading a book, it's far easier to put yourself in an uncomfortable (hence ergonomically incorrect) position while using a computer than reading a book since you can move a book around wherever you want.
Old 01-12-2010 at 08:21 PM   #25
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Hey Alborz, how's it going? (This is Mike, last term's Math 2A03 TA)

I think this is the bottom line...think of how much money you're spending on university. If it comes down to the choice of shelling out a little extra cash (not that much compared with your whole tuition cost), I definitely think it's worth it if it translates into better acquisition of knowledge. It's $50, $100, even $200 well spent, since it's the whole reason you're here.

See if someone preferred studying from a computer screen it changes things...but given that you need a book in front of you, that should be the bottom line. If you're really desperate and in a dire financial situation, keep in mind that most course texts are put on reserve at an appropriate library (Thode for science, Mills for humanities, etc.) by your prof. You can always go out of your way to study at the library which can be a good way for you to focus without spending a fortune on the text.

Hope that helps!
Of all the courses I've had at Mac (that's 4 years worth of courses by now), only two courses have had textbooks at the library and one course with a prof who had us find articles online. I'm not sure what program you're in, but for me (Social Sciences), it's pretty unlikely to find the textbooks anywhere other than the bookstore.

And the prices are different with everyone too. If I bought every single required book for every single class, I would easily spend $500 per semester at least. $1000 a year for books is too much in my opinion, especially when my tuition is $5500. My boyfriend is in Engineering and he spends at least $700 per semester.
Old 01-12-2010 at 10:32 PM   #26
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

Why not save money and have a tool as effective as a text ? Carry it around in ur USB stick ... or laptop ... win-win !

PDF ftw!!! =)