MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program (OGS) swordmas Financial Aid 2 08-27-2010 05:43 PM
program size of honors molecular biology and genetics? shreya s. General Discussion 2 07-21-2009 01:24 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM
Combined honors programs changm24 General Discussion 2 03-16-2009 06:09 PM
Honors of Life Sciece? Rimpy Academics 1 08-31-2008 08:27 PM

possible to graduate with a BA in 4th yr of an Honors program??

Old 01-06-2010 at 01:21 AM   #1
phlipside101

Liked: 1 Time

possible to graduate with a BA in 4th yr of an Honors program??
I need some help! I'm currently in 4th year of an Honors Sociology program and find I may need to graduate sooner than I'd planned. Does anyone know if it's possible to arrange to take the credits I have and apply them to a 3 year BA in Sociology instead? I've been trying to find some info about this online but haven't been able to yet..
Old 01-06-2010 at 01:33 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipside101 View Post
I need some help! I'm currently in 4th year of an Honors Sociology program and find I may need to graduate sooner than I'd planned. Does anyone know if it's possible to arrange to take the credits I have and apply them to a 3 year BA in Sociology instead? I've been trying to find some info about this online but haven't been able to yet..
You should discuss this with an academic advisor. I know it`s possible for science students so it`s probably possible for you as well. Basically it`s just like transfering from Honours into B.A.
Old 01-06-2010 at 01:45 AM   #3
phlipside101

Liked: 1 Time

okay, I'll do that. Thanks very much
Old 01-06-2010 at 07:24 AM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

The only problem I can foresee is that it's already midway through the year and they only have academic evaluations for grads twice a year...you may have to wait until May anyway, at which point a better option may be to just stick with it. Definitely have a chat with the academic advisor.

If it's not too personal, why are you trying to graduate early? Are you trying to apply to another program with a 3 year degree?
Old 01-06-2010 at 12:24 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Here's another question:
Would one be able to switch from a B.A. thingie to Honours? :O

Old 01-06-2010 at 12:29 PM   #6
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
Here's another question:
Would one be able to switch from a B.A. thingie to Honours? :O
Yes. If you don't get into honours in first year, you can apply for it again after your second or third year. You'll need to have a certain average (depending on your program), and the required courses to do so.

Last edited by Kevin S : 01-06-2010 at 12:45 PM.

xo.monica says thanks to Kevin S for this post.
Old 01-06-2010 at 12:44 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Yes. If you don't need get into honours in first year, you can apply for it again after your second or third year. You'll need to have a certain average (depending on your program), and the required courses to do so.

Lmao, I should've figured you were online, ready to answer questions. xD
So let's just say you apply to a combined honours program and don't get in because you had crappy marks or whatever, what do you in 2nd year? :s
Shadow the combined honours program, then apply again after second year?
Or can you do like a combined B.A. program (since the requirements to get in are much lower), then apply for combined honours the next year??
I don't think such a thing exists, lol combined B.A.,
so would it be possible to do a regular B.A. thing, then apply for combined honours the year after?

Last edited by xo.monica : 01-06-2010 at 01:02 PM.