MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone have Last year or previous year Tests? for Bio1M03, Chem 1A03, lalalola2011 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 10-06-2012 01:17 PM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Consequences of account balance Kira Financial Aid 1 09-27-2010 07:15 PM
Dropping a course now - consequences? jwei Academics 1 01-23-2010 05:53 PM

Is it possible to take a year off without consequences?

Old 08-24-2014 at 11:42 AM   #1
MikeyO

Liked: 0 Times

Is it possible to take a year off without consequences?
I have two years to be eligible for the 30% OSAP so what I want to do is complete my first two years at McMaster and then when I'm no longer eligible for the 30% discount I want to take a year off and travel while I still can (I'd do it before enrolling but I'd be losing a lot of money)

By 3rd year I'll probably be using my summers to try to gain on the job experience and by 4th year I'll already be applying for jobs and might not have a free summer. So I feel that taking a break halfway through my degree would be the best time.

The problem is I don't know how this will affect my eligibility for OSAP and if McMaster would frown upon it.

If I wanted to do this would I just not apply for OSAP that year and not enroll in any classes at McMaster, then reapply for OSAP the next year and continue to enrol in my level 3 classes?

Or would McMaster 'kick' me out of the school because I haven't enrolled in any classes that year and make me reapply like everyone else and fight for a spot again?
Old 08-24-2014 at 12:00 PM   #2
RedRanger

Liked: 0 Times

Lucky! I only have one year of 30% off D:
Old 08-24-2014 at 12:32 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Your best bet is to ask the Financial Aid office. They'll be able to give you an accurate answer.
Old 08-24-2014 at 06:36 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Also, you may need to start repaying OSAP if you take a year off.
Old 08-24-2014 at 08:07 PM   #5
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Are you applying just for the 30% off or applying for a loan as well?

None of my business but it might raise suspicion at the financial aid office, how are you financially able to travel for a whole year but unable to pay for your tuition?

You might not want to say you're planning to travel.
Old 08-24-2014 at 09:55 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

McMaster won't care, nor will you have to reapply. You will have to make OSAP payments at the six month mark, but it shouldn't affect your eligibility should you reapply the next year unless your income changes significantly.

MikeyO says thanks to Kudos for this post.