MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Five: Law School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 7 05-03-2009 03:43 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Four: MBA lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 10-01-2008 07:00 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Two: Teachers College dreus Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-26-2008 07:48 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part One: Introduction lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-22-2008 03:47 PM

Post-Graduate Series Part Three: Medical School

Old 06-30-2009 at 07:25 AM   #31
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Well, I wouldn't base difficulty in university based on high school. At my high school it was difficult as hell to get a 90. Other high schools were bird-like. I remember in first year chem someone was bragging about how they got a 95% in grade 12 chemistry, I had an 80 or so. Guess who did better? :p

I wouldn't worry about getting a 12 cGPA. Unless you're an absolute genius and incredibly hardworking or you take a large number of bird courses then it isn't likely ... Sure, it looks impressive, but it's not really worth it. Some schools only look at whether you meet the minimum (ie: Queens and Western) in order to get an interview =p.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 06-30-2009 at 08:22 AM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Well, I wouldn't base difficulty in university based on high school. At my high school it was difficult as hell to get a 90. Other high schools were bird-like. I remember in first year chem someone was bragging about how they got a 95% in grade 12 chemistry, I had an 80 or so. Guess who did better?
That actually confirms difficulty in university based on high school... Just because they did better in highschool doesn't mean they'll do better in university. For all you know, are your highschool your teacher may have taught more than the curriculum and at their highschool they didn't teach the entire curriculum.
Old 06-30-2009 at 09:20 AM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Agreed. I've known how to do MLA formatting since ninth grade because of the curricula at my high school. When I came to Mac there were people in my first and second year classes that didn't know how to reference things or why you were supposed to.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:52 AM   #34
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That actually confirms difficulty in university based on high school... Just because they did better in highschool doesn't mean they'll do better in university. For all you know, are your highschool your teacher may have taught more than the curriculum and at their highschool they didn't teach the entire curriculum.
Not really. There's no standard to high school grades at all.

A 90% at one school could be an 80% at another. So, Sara basing the ease of getting a 12 in university based on her ability to get 90%s in high school can be misleading.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:12 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Not really. There's no standard to high school grades at all.

A 90% at one school could be an 80% at another. So, Sara basing the ease of getting a 12 in university based on her ability to get 90%s in high school can be misleading.
Oh, I did say 90 didn't I... my bad. But if you know your teacher teaches extra stuff then chances are you'll do a lot better. If I compared material with other people I know from elementary that didn't go to my highschool, I know we did extra stuff, especially lab work.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:12 AM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You people rocked in high school apparently. I was content getting my 60s and 70s lol.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:14 AM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You people rocked in high school apparently. I was content getting my 60s and 70s lol.
Chemistry was by far the hardest subject in my highschool. I thought the labs were marked harder in highschool than in university and I also thought the university midterms and exams for chemistry were easier than the ones in highschool. (Not basing on content but on the styles and wordings of questions)
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:16 AM   #38
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Chemistry was by far the hardest subject in my highschool. I thought the labs were marked harder in highschool than in university and I also thought the university midterms and exams for chemistry were easier than the ones in highschool. (Not basing on content but on the styles and wordings of questions)
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of chemistry in high school.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:17 AM   #39
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Oh, I did say 90 didn't I... my bad. But if you know your teacher teaches extra stuff then chances are you'll do a lot better. If I compared material with other people I know from elementary that didn't go to my highschool, I know we did extra stuff, especially lab work.
Context is important.

All of my posts were referring to "When you think about it.. it's a 90%.. in high school.. that was easy.. but university.. I can't tell till the first 2 weeks of school".

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:21 AM   #40
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Context is important.

All of my posts were referring to "When you think about it.. it's a 90%.. in high school.. that was easy.. but university.. I can't tell till the first 2 weeks of school".

There is definitely little-to-no correlation between high school performance and university performance. You have to understand, everyone who went to university in the first place was a high school "superstar" (Average of 80+ generally). That means that they did well in high school, or well enough to get into their program.

Yet a lot of these people end up failing courses and doing poorly. It's because high school is a poor judge of future performance in university.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:23 AM   #41
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Context is important.

Yeah, that's true. If you have nothing to compare to, then you wouldn't know until the first month of school. But generally you should know if you've covered the material in highschool, usually your teacher says if the work they are given is extra work or not.

But yes, then there's the tests and you wouldn't have anything to compare to (unless you find tests from other people, but they change from teacher to teacher and year to year). So you are right in saying that you cannot know until you experience it.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:31 AM   #42
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's true. If you have nothing to compare to, then you wouldn't know until the first month of school. But generally you should know if you've covered the material in highschool, usually your teacher says if the work they are given is extra work or not.

But yes, then there's the tests and you wouldn't have anything to compare to (unless you find tests from other people, but they change from teacher to teacher and year to year). So you are right in saying that you cannot know until you experience it.
Yeah, usually after about one or two tests you'll have a very good understanding of how you're doing in university and where you need to make improvements.
Old 06-30-2009 at 11:48 AM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Greg- I know what you mean! To get into university you'd have to have the minimum of .. what.. 80.. maybe 75 for some schools. So like you said, you'd have to be a good student to begin with and get into university.. Yet people fail.. I kinda blame it on the imbalance in the different highschools and how some prepare students well.. while others.. not so much.
Especially the whole multiple choice testing and such, I don't think we had too much practice with that in HS. SO hopefully since school starts out slow, you get a feel for it within the first 2 weeks or so.
Old 06-30-2009 at 12:04 PM   #44
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Greg- I know what you mean! To get into university you'd have to have the minimum of .. what.. 80.. maybe 75 for some schools. So like you said, you'd have to be a good student to begin with and get into university.. Yet people fail.. I kinda blame it on the imbalance in the different highschools and how some prepare students well.. while others.. not so much.
Especially the whole multiple choice testing and such, I don't think we had too much practice with that in HS. SO hopefully since school starts out slow, you get a feel for it within the first 2 weeks or so.

Yeah, it's all about not getting overwhelmed in the transition to a new type of schooling.
Old 06-30-2009 at 05:02 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Yep, highschools don't teach or test the same way. Some don't even teach the entire curriculum. I'm pretty sure in the highschool curriculum, you should have done a couple labs in chemistry. I found it very odd how many students have never had a lab before.