MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Five: Law School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 7 05-03-2009 03:43 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Four: MBA lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 10-01-2008 07:00 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Two: Teachers College dreus Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-26-2008 07:48 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part One: Introduction lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-22-2008 03:47 PM

Post-Graduate Series Part Three: Medical School

Old 06-30-2009 at 05:28 PM   #46
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yep, highschools don't teach or test the same way. Some don't even teach the entire curriculum. I'm pretty sure in the highschool curriculum, you should have done a couple labs in chemistry. I found it very odd how many students have never had a lab before.
Are you serious?!
Old 06-30-2009 at 05:35 PM   #47
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy View Post
Are you serious?!
I'm assuming you are talking about the labs. Yes I'm serious, some people have never done a lab in their lives.
Old 06-30-2009 at 05:40 PM   #48
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
I'm assuming you are talking about the labs. Yes I'm serious, some people have never done a lab in their lives.
This is all too true, as sad as it sounds. Also, you might run into people who don't know and never bothered to learn how to reference properly, etc. The other extreme also exists.
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:24 PM   #49
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
I would be one of the people who fell into that category. My high school chemistry teacher was woefully inadequate. Luckily we weren't doing any extremely difficult techniques in the first couple labs. (Although even something as simple as titration can seem difficult when you're stressed).
Old 06-30-2009 at 06:31 PM   #50
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I would be one of the people who fell into that category. My high school chemistry teacher was woefully inadequate. Luckily we weren't doing any extremely difficult techniques in the first couple labs. (Although even something as simple as titration can seem difficult when you're stressed).
Very true. When you can't seem to get the technique down it can throw you off. I've done a lot of titration in highschool. I learned the left hand technique, where you titrate with your left hand while you swirl the flask/beaker with your right hand.
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:21 AM   #51
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Wow! I can't imagine never having a lab! But then again my highschool barely had labs.. We never even came close to titration labs.. we watched a demonstration.. aka a lab done by the teacher.. as if that helps :(
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:23 AM   #52
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Wow! I can't imagine never having a lab! But then again my highschool barely had labs.. We never even came close to titration labs.. we watched a demonstration.. aka a lab done by the teacher.. as if that helps :(
That's a lot better than having no lab. Atleast you can look at the technique he uses. But yeah, the main reason why some highschools don't have labs is because of equipment costs. So titrations don't usually get done because the equipment costs a lot. But you can still do other labs like cup calorimetry. In university you do something similar but with more expensive equipment
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:35 AM   #53
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Calorimetry was fun.. Not as fun as titration would've been.. but with the equipment.. proper equipment that is.. it'll be much better .. Besides the fact that you're there for 3 hours of course
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:36 AM   #54
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Calorimetry was fun.. Not as fun as titration would've been.. but with the equipment.. proper equipment that is.. it'll be much better .. Besides the fact that you're there for 3 hours of course
Yeah, I love titration. It's really fun because it's so challenge to get the exact end-point.
Old 07-01-2009 at 12:41 AM   #55
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

I know! but it can get frustrating... Just watching it was frustrating.. I can only imagine if it was ME doing it
Old 07-01-2009 at 08:18 AM   #56
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I know! but it can get frustrating... Just watching it was frustrating.. I can only imagine if it was ME doing it
Oh by the way. If you are titrating for the first time, before you actually start you should practice opening and closing the valve. I remember my first time in highschool, when the colour changed I got excited and overturned the valve. Lol, had to restart of course XD
Old 07-01-2009 at 05:14 PM   #57
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Haha. aww. that's so sad. Thanks for the tip though, I'll be sure to remember that in the titration section XD
Old 07-01-2009 at 06:25 PM   #58
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

The thing is, my school actually had the equipment for all these labs, we just didn't do them because my teacher didn't want to mark them- which she freely admitted to us -.- So no calorimetry either, lol.

But her laziness also meant that all of our tests were scantron, which actually was a good preparation for university. Thankfully multiple choice was much more central to the course then proper lab technique!
Old 07-01-2009 at 08:08 PM   #59
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Haha wow. that's sure brave if her to admit that to the class, and be so open about it too.
Even though it is good prep, I detest scantron tests/quizzes to this day =F .. not sure why
Old 07-01-2009 at 08:43 PM   #60
KRan

Liked: 10 Times

You will become a Scantron wizard by the time you're done Mac, especially in Life Sci.