MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU Rules on MacInsiders stevennevets General Discussion 14 10-26-2008 11:33 PM
Cycling Rules & Safety Tips DannyV Misc 4 05-23-2008 09:06 AM
Residence Survival Part 3: Rules! lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 1 08-10-2007 06:04 PM
Poster Sale! AdamF Anime & Comic Books 4 10-16-2006 03:17 PM

Poster Rules

Old 04-21-2010 at 09:17 AM   #1
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

Poster Rules
I wanted to put up some posters advertising what textbooks I have for sale, but Ive noticed that some posters around campus say "MSU approved" and some don't.

If I want to put up posters advertising textbooks, do I have to get approval from the MSU? Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:19 AM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

If you're putting them on bulletin boards yes, otherwise they'll get taken down by the Poster Monkeys. Not sure if they still work during the exam period.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:30 AM   #3
J-Met
Elite Member

Poster Monkeys?
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:31 AM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Poster Monkeys?
It's an MSU service that enforces poster rules.

All you have to do to get approval is take your original copy to The Underground to get a stamp, and then make copies with the stamp on it.

I'm not guaranteeing you will get approval, but that's what you have to do.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:32 AM   #5
J-Met
Elite Member

Thanks guys. I think I will just not put them on bulletin boards and avoid the MSU.
Old 04-21-2010 at 09:34 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Met View Post
Thanks guys. I think I will just not put them on bulletin boards and avoid the MSU.
Don't put them in buildings (on walls) then, because they will be taken down by facility services and other maintenance workers. Assuming your contact information is on the posters, you may be contacted and issued fines.
Old 04-21-2010 at 10:06 AM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

The bus shelters usually get covered in posters for textbooks for sale. I wouldn't recommend putting them up anywhere other than bulletin boards since they'll get taken down much faster each night by the cleaning staff and just waste paper. If you want to put up posters, get one stamped by the Underground and then photocopy it and post a few up in the building where your books will be most attractive (ie. ENG books in engineering buildings).

When I was selling my books, I found online to be the best way to sell them and get responses. Posters really are ignored by students these days for the most part, those bulletin boards get so cluttered most don't read them. If someone is looking for a specific book where are they going to go first? Wandering down the hall looking for posters? No. They are going to search the internet and McMaster used book marketplaces such as MacInsiders, Facebook Marketplace, and Titles Used Book classifieds (not heavily advertised since Titles prefers you use their Buyback service so they can make more money rather than a free classifieds where they make nothing).

crazyfree says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 04-22-2010 at 09:34 PM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I agree with Chad. Online advertising is way more effective. Putting up posters is just a waste of paper and you may get into some trouble if its not MSU approved. I've sold a ton of textbooks through the Marketplace here and also just posting on Titles Classifieds and also Facebook!

poster monkeys never heard of them before haha...