MacInsiders Logo

Predicament

Old 11-26-2010 at 05:08 AM   #1
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Predicament
So, i have been gaming on a PC for over 10 years now, but it hasn't been easy. My computer constantly breaks down, and i find myself buying expensive parts for it year in and year out, not to mention the fact that every 3 years i need to upgrade at least one component anyways just to keep up with tech windows.

Well the string that broke the camels back was that my BRAND NEW ATi card of 3 months decided to explode, leaving me with 2 choices:

tl;dr

a) Buy another GPU (around $150) and deal with the loss in performance.

b) Buy a Xbox/PS3 and use that to game.

I honestly just think buying a 360 or w/e for gaming would be simpler and less frustrating of an experience, what do you think?
Old 11-26-2010 at 05:14 AM   #2
...?!
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 76 Times

If you sink money into a console, won't you have to buy games for it too? (Assuming you already are up-to-date on PC games). Also, when the next console rolls around, it'll pretty much make obsolete your current generation one similar to replacing parts anyway. The thing with the PC is you need one anyway, for the sake of work. Personally, I would just pop cash for another GPU, console gaming is an expensive hobby.
Old 11-26-2010 at 05:28 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

It really depends on a lot of different factors:

Do you like playing RTS/MMO? (the only decent ones are on PCs)
How attached you are to using a keyboard and mouse for FPS? (adjusting to a controller is a pain and you'll never be as accurate with an analogue stick as you will be with a mouse)
How many of your friends use steam/raptr/Xbox Live/PSN? (cause abandoning all your friends on PC sucks)
How much do you need the absolute best graphics? (because console technology is 5+ years out of date and even then it was never bleeding edge)
How much do you enjoy tweaking settings? (you basically can't on consoles)

If after going through with that list, consoles still make sense, then go for it, it's so much less of a headache than PC Gaming (and considerably less expensive in the long run).

Joey likes this.
Old 11-26-2010 at 05:41 AM   #4
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

PC gaming is a huge hit on the wallet compared to console. No arguments there. I've been through that. Also been through the addiction of upgrading for performance (i.e. paycheck after paycheck spent on cooling, cpu's, ram, gpu's, you name it). All that, only to have a new game come out whose graphics engine stomps all over your current pc specs and then you find yourself back at canadacomputers, newegg, NCIX, upgrading some more.

Mind you, you dont have to upgrade all the time but you tend to be pulled into that cycle when PC gaming is all you do.
I haven't gamed in a long time but when i get back into it, im sticking with PC. I mean, you just can't beat a mouse/keyboard for First person shooters. Depends what you like to play really.

How is any of this relevant to your post? I bought a PS3 when I tried to switch to console but found myself going back to PC. My ps3 is now an overpriced movie/stereo.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 11-26-2010 at 06:51 AM   #5
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

I enjoy playing FPS games and playing competitively, but honestly i think that the hassle that PC gaming presents is simply too great a cost. I already have a laptop for word processing and photoshop that is sufficient, so the only real benefit of the other PC was for gaming, but w/ an Xbox 360 you don't have to constantly worry about whether or not your hardware will support the game.

I understand that there will be new consoles as soon as 2013, but that doesn't mean i won't get enjoyment from playing Halo:Reach up until that time :p
Old 11-26-2010 at 08:06 AM   #6
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Get a console.
PCs are expensive and require dedication. If you can't shell for performance, then don't.

I'd also like to know, how exactly do you keep breaking your parts?
I've been using "gaming" pcs for a couple of years. I've never actually had anything break on me, I've just been replacing and upgrading along the way.
Old 11-26-2010 at 08:26 AM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
I enjoy playing FPS games and playing competitively, but honestly i think that the hassle that PC gaming presents is simply too great a cost. I already have a laptop for word processing and photoshop that is sufficient, so the only real benefit of the other PC was for gaming, but w/ an Xbox 360 you don't have to constantly worry about whether or not your hardware will support the game.

I understand that there will be new consoles as soon as 2013, but that doesn't mean i won't get enjoyment from playing Halo:Reach up until that time :p
Even though some of the best FPS players in the world are on PC, consoles seem to have a more lively competitive community so you be missing much.
Old 11-26-2010 at 08:52 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

c) Buy quality gear and treat your computer hardware with care?
Old 11-26-2010 at 09:17 AM   #9
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
c) Buy quality gear and treat your computer hardware with care?
The term "quality" is such an abstract term then it comes to technology, basically you'd like to assume that if you isolate yourself to certain brands they'll be consistently good, but we all know this isn't true based on the REM system that most GPU sellers have in place.

Not to mention the fact that i've always bought based on reviews and maintained a clean case with low temps. Simply put, the repairs/upgrades i've had to perform on my system are normal if not tame. They are simply too expensive.
Old 11-26-2010 at 09:19 AM   #10
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

From the various posts, it sounds like an Xbox 360 would be most appropriate for you. Personally I prefer PS3, but I like dungeon crawlers and RPGs more than FPS. Xbox definitely wins on FPS.
Old 11-26-2010 at 10:27 AM   #11
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

I've never been a PC Gamer, so I can't speak to making the switch. However, I would highly recommend console gaming as a cheaper and easier alternative. Knowing how much some of my friends spend, both in time and money, on PC gaming has scared me away from ever considering it. And I would definitely agree with Replekia- it sounds like a 360 would be a better fit for you.
Old 11-26-2010 at 10:34 AM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

If you don't know how to take good care of your tech, don't bother with PC gaming. It's as much about knowing how to optimize and care for your computer as it is about playing the games.

Otherwise, get a console.

Old 11-26-2010 at 05:40 PM   #13
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
If you don't know how to take good care of your tech, don't bother with PC gaming. It's as much about knowing how to optimize and care for your computer as it is about playing the games.

Otherwise, get a console.
Just like i said in my previous post, my hardware is taken care of just fine, i have perfect internal temps, i don't overclock, and it's not like i kicked my computer.

This is simply a computer component failing when it chose to, and me asking whether people thought it was worth it to keep sinking money into it.

Honestly feels like i own a 12 year old Honda at this point and i'm just waiting for the whole thing to go.
Old 11-26-2010 at 05:52 PM   #14
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

you are doing something wrong.

I bought the parts for this computer 4 years ago and it still can run any pc game at high grpahics no problem.
Old 11-26-2010 at 05:58 PM   #15
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedog123123 View Post
you are doing something wrong.

I bought the parts for this computer 4 years ago and it still can run any pc game at high grpahics no problem.
If you do end up getting a 360, and only plan on using it for playing video games I would suggest getting the 4 gb Xbox. Its considerably cheaper, and you if you want more room for storage, you can use essentially any usb.
Only buy the Xboxs with the large HDD if you plan on downloading a lot of content from xbox live (i.e., netflix)