MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FYC Election Results are in! stevennevets MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2010 06:49 PM
SRA Committee ELECTION Results!! Session 10B aviaf MacInsiders Announcements 10 04-26-2010 06:28 PM
2008 DVD Referendum Results Chad MacInsiders Announcements 33 10-27-2008 12:38 AM
Canadian Federal Election lorend ARCHIVES 9 10-14-2008 07:54 PM

Preliminary 2008 Federal Election Results

Old 10-14-2008 at 10:17 PM   #1
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

According to www.cbc.ca the results for the Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale are as follows (as of 11:16pm):

17 542 Conservative = 46.66%
10 118 Liberal = 27.2%
6 125 NDP = 16.5%
3 586 Green = 9.36
106 Marxist-Leninist = 0.28%

The riding around McMaster is incumbent Conservative. Interestingly, the other ridings in Hamilton all elected NDP to office.

Nationally:
144 Conservative Seats = 37.14% of the vote share
76 Liberal Seats = 27.7% of the vote share
50 Bloc Quebecois Seats = 8.8% of the vote share
34 NDP Seats = 18.55% of the vote share
3 Independant Seats = 0.78% of the vote share
0 Green Seats = 6.55% of the vote share
0 Other seats = 0.49% of the vote share

Nationally
this corresponds to a Conservative minority government. There are also reports that the voter turn-out for this election is one of the lowest on record. More information to come!

What are your thoughts on both? Did you vote? Why or why not?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-14-2008
temara.brown
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-14-2008 at 10:33 PM   #2
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

i hate the canadian voting system.

i wish we had mix member proportional. take a look at the greens, 6.55% of canadians voted noone into office. how is that fair?
Old 10-14-2008 at 11:03 PM   #3
a-max

Liked: 0 Times

I'd prefer instant run off voting more. That way parties like the Greens can actually have a voice, which they don't now as dvy88 said, even though they have about the same support nationally than the Bloc.

Based on the numbers I'm guessing most of McMaster voted liberal, maybe thinking they could put a left leaning party back in power. Looks like the rest of the riding pretty much decided things.
Old 10-15-2008 at 02:58 PM   #4
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Didnt vote yesturday because I was studying all day for a midterm which I had at night. Though I was 99% sure that Conservatives would win.. again. Plus they told me since I dont live on res, I'd have to go downtown or something?

Old 10-15-2008 at 04:16 PM   #5
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Didnt vote yesturday because I was studying all day for a midterm which I had at night. Though I was 99% sure that Conservatives would win.. again. Plus they told me since I dont live on res, I'd have to go downtown or something?
the ndp won hamilton centre.

the conservatives took ancaster-dundas-flamborough-westdale though.
Old 10-15-2008 at 06:12 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
you just enter your postal code in on the elections canada website and it would tell you where to go.

there was a voting centre at the dalewood school, which i believe got a lot of the SOCS from mac

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-15-2008 at 07:08 PM   #7
neb21

Liked: 1 Time

yeah i voted at Prince Phillip behind Fortinos. I kinda wish all mac students could have voted somewhere on campus, not just the rez students.

A-max, why would you guess McMaster students voted liberal? conservative won and NDP won everywhere else in Hamilton. I wish they did have a stat on who the mac students voted for
Old 10-15-2008 at 07:08 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Oh really? Thats a shame, when me and my friend went to go find out they said go downtown, but thanks for letting me know anyways.

Oh NDP won around here, wow! Back home in my area of Oakville, conservatives won. Haha no surprise there.

Old 10-17-2008 at 12:07 AM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I voted! I voted NDP *love*

The thing I don't like about Canadian elections is that they're boring. There's no candidate like Bush and there's no one like Obama. While I would never vote for a Bush-like candidate, it would definitely peak my interest more. Then again, politics isn't supposed to be hollywood glamour anyway!
Old 10-17-2008 at 07:24 PM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Props to all who voted!