MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Year Nursing rumbleca Introduce Yourself 2 07-28-2011 11:28 AM
Mac first year nursing :) 7adri3 Introduce Yourself 5 06-25-2011 03:29 PM
First year nursing student :P anyone else taking nursing and if not message still :) C.RUMBLE Introduce Yourself 9 08-27-2010 12:56 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

How to prepare for first year nursing over the summer?

Old 03-25-2014 at 09:48 AM   #1
MoyashiSerena

Liked: 3 Times

How to prepare for first year nursing over the summer?
Hi~

Not sure if I am going to Mac yet but I will be going into a nursing program for sure. I've heard from another nursing student that their are 7 courses (1 elective) first semester and 6 the next, though some of these are actually 1 course that run both semesters.

Therefore, I have some questions. Is the semester layout the same for Mac?

What are all of the needed courses that you take in first year nursing?

How can I better prepare myself for my first year at nursing over the summer?
Old 03-25-2014 at 09:59 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyashiSerena View Post
Hi~

Not sure if I am going to Mac yet but I will be going into a nursing program for sure. I've heard from another nursing student that their are 7 courses (1 elective) first semester and 6 the next, though some of these are actually 1 course that run both semesters.

Therefore, I have some questions. Is the semester layout the same for Mac?

What are all of the needed courses that you take in first year nursing?

How can I better prepare myself for my first year at nursing over the summer?
Is the semester layout the same as what? I'm not sure what your frame of reference is.

The required courses are listed in the undergrad calendar (you can google it) but they should send you an email sometime this summer with more information. You don't pick courses until June (I think end of June for first-years).

In terms of courses you don't need to do anything to prepare. They'll tell you everything that's needed. For nursing there might be some health requirements (immunizations, etc.) but they'll contact you with that information and it might also be on the nursing website. If you're living away from home, get everything all set for that.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to starfish for this post.

MoyashiSerena likes this.
Old 03-25-2014 at 11:14 AM   #3
browneyedgirl

Liked: 2 Times

Hi MoyashiSerena! I'm in first year nursing at the moment and so I'm so glad to hear that you're considering nursing at Mac! So, our McMaster Semester Layout looks something like this:

1st Semester:
Anatomy 1H06
Psychology 1X03
Nursing 1J02 (this is where you learn your clinical skills- super duper fun!)
Nursing 1K02 (Here you are assigned a placement, and you complete 32 hrs volunteer time there)
Nursing 1F03 (This is problem-based learning, or PBL, it kinda sucks but you get used to it)

One elective of your choice (a lot of us took anthropology 1AA3- would definitely recommend it since it is pretty interesting and not overwhelming with the work load)

Semester 2:
Anatomy 1H06 (cont'd from last semester)
Psych 1XX3 (this is not a continuation of the course 1st term, it is separate)
Nursing 1G03 (continuation of N1F03)
Nursing 1J02 (cont'd)
Nursing 1K02 (cont'd)
Biochemistry

I hope that was helpful. Now, as for how you can better prepare yourself, McMaster WILL send you a list of required immunizations, police checks and one or two blood tests to get done, make sure and get this done early. It takes a lot longer than you might think! Also, McMaster will require that you become First Aid certified at the HCP level, so you'll have to schedule time for that this summer as well. One thing I wouldn't advise you to do- do not go out and buy books from anyone this summer. Lots of people will try to rip you off and sell you books that you will never even open for the class. So wait until the book lists are posted and then decide for yourself which ones you want to buy. I hope this was helpful, and I really do hope you'll come to Mac! I don't know how it's Nursing Program compares to other schools but I do know I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year here

MoyashiSerena says thanks to browneyedgirl for this post.

MoyashiSerena likes this.
Old 03-25-2014 at 05:16 PM   #4
MoyashiSerena

Liked: 3 Times

@ Starfish
Thanks for your help. I understand that you need immunizations and all, I was just wondering if I should look over some of the material before I step foot in class.

@browneyedgirl
Your in the nursing program? Awesome! Thanks for writing down all the courses, that was helpful. The other school I asked the question to was Ryerson, which has a great nursing program according to online stats. There's is:

First semester:
anatomy & physiology
nursing assessment
nursing theory
nursing practice
nutrition
intro to psychology
elective

Pretty much the same only they make you also take nutrition.

Second semester:
anatomy & physiology
nursing assessment
nursing practice
nursing theory
social-politics-economic(?) in nursing
child psychology

Similar as well. These aren't the exact course codes as I got this from another student who goes there, but it shows a few differences.

If you don't mind I have two more questions:

1) How are the placements at McMaster? One of the pro's of going to Ryerson is that they are well known for their clinical/hands on experience while McMaster thrives at problem solving. Does McMaster also have a placement each year?

2) What do you like best/least about the program?
Old 03-25-2014 at 08:36 PM   #5
vickqi

Liked: 0 Times

Hi Serena,
I'm also in Mac Nursing first year right now. I was in the same position as you last year, did lots of research and trying to figure out if I can prep for anything at all for September. What I found last year about Ryerson was that from online forums, some students commented that Ryerson didn't really care about your clinical placement choices despite the fact that you're asked to rank the placements based on preference. It might be a lottery system, but I'm not 100% sure how their program is laid out so I can't say too much, that information was just what I found while I was doing research.

As for McMaster, we care about clinical/hands on experience too! You'll get controlled lab times with Standardized Patients (actors who act like patients for simulation) for you to practice your clinical skills before they start you off in the hospital for second year. You'll get a hospital placement during 2nd, 3rd and 4th year.
At the end of first year, there's an "OSCE" (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) to test your skills and make sure you are safe enough to be in the hospital for your placement. So, basically, you don't start HOSPITAL placements until second year but you will get lab times 4 hrs a week + extra lab times.
There's a COMMUNITY placement(Nursing 1K02, as browneyedgirl mentioned), where you go volunteer for a variety of purposes: practice communication skills, gain connections, be involved in the city of Hamilton etc. You can volunteer at one out of so many places, from breakfast programs at high schools to talking to older adults in senior homes, you'll definitely gain a little something out of any of these placements.
For PBL, I'm going to have to disagree with browneyedgirl and tell you I loved PBL this year. It really depends on your luck, whether if you get a good tutor or good classmates or not because those certainly will contribute to your feelings towards PBL. I guess you have to like the materials taught in PBL in order to like the class too. I heard upper year PBL is nothing like first year PBL, but first year was not bad at all!

What I like best about this program? Profs try to integrate what you learn from other classes into their classes so that you're kind of learning the same concept simultaneously with many different angles. The Nursing faculty cares about you! You just have to go talk to them and they'll definitely respond to the best of their abilities.
It will be stressful and overwhelming at times but you'll get used to it and adapt to it. At the end of your first term, you won't even believe that you made it till the end and once you're in Nursing, you WILL start to think like a nurse!
What I like least about the program... Anatomy is hard................. ....You'll stress, you'll get upset, but you'll survive. You'll make lots of friends who will help you along the way.

Preparation wise, get your immunization done etc, but if you're REALLY keen on it, start looking for used nursing books over the summer as soon as your booklist if out. Trust me, you'll save LOTS of money. I remember in the summer last year, I calculated that if I bought all the books on the list new, it would cost about $1400. But I managed to get around it and started looking for books super early and compared the prices and everything, I bought the mandatory books for the last 3 digits of that price.
Another tip to do something over the summer (only if you're extremely bored/have nothing to do) is to review your biology notes, organic chem, exercise science/kinesiology (if you took that in high school). I didn't take exercise science and I regret it because the first day I went to anatomy lecture I was sooooo lost. If you didn't, then don't worry about it too much either because you'll get used to it and it'll come to you VERY quickly! That being said, you probably want to start just learning about the basics of human anatomy, just to get yourself familiar with terms, locations, functions etc. It's a lot, but doing a little is better than none at all.
However, it's completely your choice to do whatever, those are just some tips I wish I had done over my grade 12 summer. DO enjoy your summer and the rest of your high school career! You can never go back to them! Good luck.