MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd year math courses?? e-norman Academics 1 05-18-2010 12:20 PM
October Blues: Preparing For Midterms feonateresa Exam Prep and Studying Tips 0 10-04-2009 09:22 AM
Preparing for Move-In Day lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 68 08-28-2009 10:18 PM

preparing for first year math

Old 06-21-2008 at 08:09 AM   #1
adamg6

Liked: 0 Times

preparing for first year math
i was going to get a tutor so they can teach me university math, but the problem is that the books dont come out till august, anyone have suggestions?

im gna be taking math 1a03 and math 1aa3

thnks alot
Old 06-21-2008 at 10:03 AM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Math 1A03 is alot like Grade 12 U Math except for the lst chapter. Other than that, look over old notes on limits, increasing/decreasing functions, derivatives and such and you should be fine. Math 1AA3 is all new stuff -- Integrals and such. I don't think you can really prepare for that, to be honest, sicne it's all new.
Old 06-21-2008 at 02:36 PM   #3
rlevitin
MacInsiders Street Team

Liked: 24 Times

Samantha is dead on with what she said. Math 1A03 starts out an awful lot like Grade 12 U Math. If you did well in Grade 12, I would not worry about 1A03. The course is all about taking functions and making the graphs, transformations, and derivatives. I personally found the trigonometry to be the most difficult aspect of the course, parts of the trig were new from Grade 12, and integrals (anti-derivatives) are partially new.

The textbook from last year was "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" 6th Edition, by Stewart. I don't think the book will change unless there is an updated edition.
Old 06-21-2008 at 03:28 PM   #4
paul
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 2 Times

Hey Adam,
You can check out details about the course on this website:
http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/lovric/1a3.html
They also have sample tests and lectures.

I was just as concerned as you going into math 1A03 when I read that it is strongly recommended I review certain things from high school. It wasn't all that bad, they start off pretty basic. If there is something that you don't remember or have trouble with, go back and look it up during the term.

Paul
Old 06-21-2008 at 05:08 PM   #5
adamg6

Liked: 0 Times

thanks a lot guys