MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Prerequsite Question

Old 05-30-2009 at 06:50 PM   #1
aa84

Liked: 0 Times

Prerequsite Question
For Stats 2B03, the undergrad calender says the preq's are:
One of Grade 12 Data Management U, STATS 1A03 or registration in Level II or above of a program in the Faculty of Science

I'm a little confused, do I need grade 12 data managment or stats 1a03 and registration in level 2 science, or is it okay if i'm just registered in a level 2 science program. I didn't do data managment in grade 12 and i didnt do stats 1a03. To do this course do I have to take stats 1a03?
Old 05-30-2009 at 07:04 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

do you know what the word "or" means? Do you know what "ONE OF" means?

yes, of course you will be allowed to take that course (if you meet at least one of the prerequisites).

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 05-31-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2009 at 07:50 PM   #3
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
do you know what the word "or" means? Do you know what "ONE OF" means?

yes, of course you will be allowed to take that course.
That was a little harsh...:(
Old 05-30-2009 at 07:58 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
That was a little harsh...:(
That's not surprising.

Last edited by sinthusized : 05-30-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: to be nice
Old 05-31-2009 at 12:56 AM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Instead of just a snarky response (albeit, a correct one), I'll explain the reasons why you're given an choice in the first place.

Stats 2B03 is an entry level statistics course, which is appropriate for anyone planning to persue the sciences. It's also appropriate however, for people persuing such things as social sciences, etc.

So you basically have 3 groups of people who want to take this course:

First year students who want to 'fast track' and take a 2nd year course in their first year. They typically must have some prior knowledge of statistics, and an interest in the field...so they fall into the Grade 12 Data Management group.

Alternatively, someone may be a social science (ie. psychology) student who would like some knowledge of statistics to help them in their research. If they have taken Data Management, then they already know enough of the basics of statistics to take this course. If not, then they will take the "Data Management equivalent" course, Stats 1A03 before taking 2B03.

And lastly, you have the people in Level II or above Science, who naturally need statistics to do their research. They need not take Data Management or Stats 1A03 (like yourself) because it is assumed that they have picked up enough knowledge of statistical methods in their other courses (physics, biology, etc) to survive and excel in this course.

Ask yourself: Do you know what a mean is? Median? Mode? You probably know enough background information to take this course...that's precisely the idea. The pre-reqs are in place to prevent people with absolutely no knowledge of statistics from taking the course and suffering.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Mowicz : 05-31-2009 at 01:00 AM.

lorend, sinthusized, veena_vd all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.