MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:38 PM   #1
tan_90

Liked: 0 Times

Primary account!!!
Hi,

I actually have my current email add and one McMaster email add..Do I have to put my McMaster email as my primary account? In solar it asks which account do we want as our primary account...Which one would you guys suggest to put as primary?

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:42 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

That's really upto you. You can set your Mac e-mail to primary, and just have your incoming e-mails directed to your personal e-mail account.

Make sure you're using your Mac e-mail though because professors and TAs can send stuff to you, and you usually have to send stuff to them through your Mac e-mail.
Old 07-27-2009 at 12:55 PM   #3
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

It's really handy to have your muss email pop3'd to your gmail account! I love it
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:22 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
It's really handy to have your muss email pop3'd to your gmail account! I love it
I do the exact opposite haha. Not sure why now that I think about it...
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:07 PM   #5
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Muss email always gets full x.x

Old 07-28-2009 at 08:48 AM   #6
tan_90

Thanks for your reply
So it is better to make my Mac email primary then because I will have to use it to communicate with my professors...How do I direct the Mac emails into my personal email account? I find it quite complicated to use the Mac email account :S
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:58 AM   #7
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_90 View Post
Thanks for your reply
So it is better to make my Mac email primary then because I will have to use it to communicate with my professors...How do I direct the Mac emails into my personal email account? I find it quite complicated to use the Mac email account :S
To redirect Mac emails to your email account, follow these steps:
- Click on "Rules" on the top (next to mailboxes, compose)
- Check the "Redirect all mail to" box and enter your personal email ID below it.

Hope this helps!
I would recommend making mac email your primary account.

tan_90 says thanks to saukalra for this post.
Old 07-28-2009 at 09:15 AM   #8
tan_90

OK I will try to follow these steps...
If I make my Mac email primary, then would you advise me to still send my incoming emails to my primary account?
Old 07-28-2009 at 09:46 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

It's easy enough to check two accounts (or more) in a day. I have two accounts I use (one personal one work/business), and used to check another account for work.

What you should be more concerned about is what you are using your email accounts for.

For example, if the name of your personal email account is something non-professional (i.e. something other than your name) you shouldn't be using it to communicate with professors, employers or potential employers because it puts an unfavourable bias against you. You keep an account like that to maintain ties with friends, family and use on MSN, Facebook etc.

If you wish you can get rid of that email account and keep all communications organized with an email address that is more professional, but I find it worthwhile to have both.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

tan_90 says thanks to lorend for this post.

aziz917 likes this.
Old 07-28-2009 at 10:59 AM   #10
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

I find that it's easiest to use you McMaster email as your primary email, you should be checking it on a regular basis anyways and it is much more professional. I have it in sync with my email program on my macbook, that way when your account on the server starts to get full, you can delete them from the server but still have them on your email program on your personal computer. Another thing that helps free up space on the server is to delete sent messages.

tan_90 says thanks to c.thomson for this post.
Old 07-28-2009 at 07:22 PM   #11
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

When you forward all your emails from muss to another account (ex.hotmail account) you will notice that nothing will show up on your muss account-i.e you will see NO emails in your inbox folder...so, your hotmail account now becomes your macmaster e-mail account ..you basically just use muss to send emails to profs if you need to...it's quite convenient this way I think
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:24 PM   #12
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

is there a way to get rid of the "muss.cis.mcmaste r" part of your email address and just make it @mcmaster.ca? I thought it didn't matter until I tried sending myself stuff and @mcmaster didn't work.
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:45 PM   #13
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

When you send stuff to the @macmaster it should automatically be sent to the @muss.cis.mcmaster coz it's the same thinkg...that's intereseting if it doesn't work :S It worked for me..
Old 07-29-2009 at 01:04 AM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yes, @mcmaster.ca does work after a couple of days, just not right away I think.
Old 07-29-2009 at 04:23 PM   #15
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Forwarding your email is very easy to do, the only thing is that when you reply it will be sent from your hotmail or gmail. If you want to reply from your mcmaster email than you have to do it on the server (which you can't do if the emails have already been forwarded), or from your mail program like I do.

you definitely don't need to include the muss.cis part in your address, and a quick way to get to your muss email is "muss.mcmaster.ca " incase you didn't know.