MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to change non co-op program to co-op program hellrise Academics 1 02-21-2010 08:56 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Can you still change your program? Raeann89 Academics 3 05-31-2008 04:48 AM

Program Change

Old 08-24-2009 at 02:38 PM   #1
don.999

Liked: 0 Times

Program Change
I am going to Mcmaster University for the Biotechnology and I am thinking of switching to a different program like Life Sciences or Health Sciences after my first year. So, can I apply to two programs after my first year or I can apply to only one program? And how much does it cost to change your program?
Old 08-24-2009 at 02:44 PM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Well, as you're entering into your first year, you would apply to life science as any other prospective life science student would. As for switching into health science, you need to apply and fill out a supplementary application. I know they make you take some of the first year health scence courses in order to catch up so I would take some of their first year courses as electives if you're really interested in switching.

It doesn't cost anything.
Old 08-24-2009 at 02:44 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.999 View Post
I am going to Mcmaster University for the Biotechnology and I am thinking of switching to a different program like Life Sciences or Health Sciences after my first year. So, can I apply to two programs after my first year or I can apply to only one program? And how much does it cost to change your program?
I think the maximum amount of programs you can apply to is 5. I applied to 3 last year.

It doesn't cost anything to change your program (other than the cost per unit of each department).
Old 08-24-2009 at 03:33 PM   #4
don.999

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Well, as you're entering into your first year, you would apply to life science as any other prospective life science student would. As for switching into health science, you need to apply and fill out a supplementary application. I know they make you take some of the first year health scence courses in order to catch up so I would take some of their first year courses as electives if you're really interested in switching.

It doesn't cost anything.
So, did you transfer to your current program (Honors Molecular Biology and Genetics) after your first year? What GPA do you need to have for this program?
Old 08-24-2009 at 03:36 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by don.999 View Post
So, did you transfer to your current program (Honors Molecular Biology and Genetics) after your first year? What GPA do you need to have for this program?
I'm assuming you were asking me despite having quoted Fight0.

Yes, I was in Life Science and I applyed to Hon Mol Bio & Gen after my first year. They will tell you when applications for second year programs are available. I think it was in March last year.

Here's information on the program: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1930.html

It says:

Quote:
Enrolment in this program is limited and possession of the published minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Selection is based on academic achievement but requires, as a minimum, completion of any Level I program with a Cumulative Average of at least 6.0 including
Old 08-26-2009 at 10:26 AM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

In general I know that they want you to have around a 9.0 GPA to get into most of the Honors Bio programs.