MacInsiders Logo

Who will protect us!!!

Old 03-27-2008 at 07:56 PM   #1
joset2

Liked: 0 Times

Who will protect us!!!
http://www.uoguelph.ca/atguelph/08-01-30/features.shtml

Do see this article and see what other universities are doing to protect the students. When ever I hear about laptop thefts in campus, I just walk away thinking that is not me and some super careless kid lost it once again.Enough said. In 2 months, 2 of my friends lost their laptops in blink of a time. One lost it @ mills during washroom break and the other after writing her test in MDCL. I see all these caution warnings when I walk into libraries and on computer screens but this is not enough. In the past year we lost a huge number of laptops compared to others. Why is this happening @ Mac???? When My freind asked mills for a security camera footage they told her the guy who monitors it has gone for vancation....great... ..now what ????I am scared to bring my laptop to mills..and ..I shouldnt be.........what do you guys think ??????
Old 03-27-2008 at 08:27 PM   #2
bksull

theft
i think if you leave your laptop alone... youre asking for it. ask someone you trust to watch it or bring it with you. would you leave 2000 in cash on a public table while you go for a walk?

also, the uoguelph solution is pointless... a metal sticker? the people who buy stolen laptops dont care if there is a sticker on the bottom. that only stops them from selling them to companies (and only the ones who know about the stickers)
Old 03-27-2008 at 08:29 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I don't think it's the school's responsibility to watch our stuff. Theft occurs because people leave things of value unattended. If you left your laptop unattended in a mall the same thing would happen.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-27-2008 at 09:06 PM   #4
joset2

I really understand the argument behind watching for our own stuff. But the univeristy has a committment towards students in providing in a safe place to study and live. Unmonitored security cams and theifs lurking in campus is not an excuse that people can avoid by saying..." kids ask for it ". How can u ever blame a student who is writing a term test in MDCL and then loose her entire backpack ??? If the university expects a student to leave back her backpack during tests then it should provide a guarantee that it will be safe when she is back...

Most of the professors ask kids to leave backpacks in front or back of classroom and when they get lost the same profs cant do anything.

If we just leave few warnings around campus that wont go very far in terms of security.

U of T introduced this program and it has reduced the # significantly.
Old 03-27-2008 at 11:34 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I have to agree with the fact that leaving items unattended is doing so at your own risk. McMaster can't 'guarantee' anything to be safe because it would cost a lot of money to replace stolen items. It's just like when you go to a recreational centre and leave things in a basket room. Even with a person paid to sit there and watch your belongings they STILL have a sign saying to leave them at your own risk and that they aren't responsible for lost or stolen items.

While I will agree with Joset that there should probably be an increase in the number of security cameras in Mills Library, as well as all the other libraries, and then use the footage to capture photos of students that stole reportedly stolen items, when I hear that Mac needs to have a "committment towards students in providing in a safe place to study and live"... I think of security and safety in regards to physical harm, bullying, controlling rowdy students if they've been drinking, and someone to go to in a time of need ... when you feel threatened, etc. I think McMaster Security Services does a fantastic job at that.

We have campus security patrolling 24/7, emergency stations all over campus that go directly to the security office when you need help, Student Walk-Home Attendant Team (SWHAT) to walk you home at night to feel safe, a security office that you can walk up to and report lost or stolen items, an you can call campus security anytime from campus phones, etc. So I personally feel pretty safe and secure on campus.

As for theft, McMaster has an office called the Crime Prevention Office. It is run by Cathy O’Donnell, who is a fantastic lady and really great to talk to. I suggest you e-mail or phone her and give her any suggestions you have on how they can improve awareness and security towards the theft of personal items like laptops. The office has worked hard to bring awareness that items left alone CAN and HAVE been stolen. I think they've gone out of their way to drill this into our brains... I've seen ads in the student center on the bulletin boards, they had signs posted on just about every door of Mills Library saying ALERT on them and telling people that theft of laptops has increased in the past weeks, etc. And they even made a whole display in the lobby of Mills near the stairs that is a triangular type of presentation board with huge posters saying to lock up items, and don't leave things unattended or you'll lose them, etc. And if that's not enough, they even have an online video series about theft that has a whole episode about leaving items unattended! Watch it here. So I think students would have to be looking down at their feet all day while walking in order to not see the notices lol its up to the individual to remember those messages and not leave their laptop laying around.

To tell you a personal story, I purchased a brand new Cannon camera late last year and it was only a week old and I brought it to McMaster to take photos at Quarters... went to the ATM, put the camera on the ATM, saw a friend a few meters away and went to tell them something, and then it was gone when I got back. Who's fault is it? Clearly it was my own. I don't hold McMaster responsible. I was careless and left a $500 camera sitting in a public place. Am I annoyed that a student stole it? Yes. Do I think the person is a scumbag for stealing and should be prosecuted? Yes. And McMaster tried the best they could... I went to Security. They took an official police report and description, and if it ever turns up anywhere in Canada with my serial number on it, I'll be contacted by the police. The only complaint I'd have and suggestion would be to get more security cameras in the McMaster buildings (as they didn't have footage of this particular area).

A few suggestions that I would have:
  • Get your stuff engraved. iPods, laptops, whatever. Get your name and phone number engraved on it. Why not? It won't make it look ugly. And you can apparently get it done by McMaster Security Services! Read here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/security/property.htm
  • If you're doing a test or exam... usually they get you to put your bags at the FRONT of the room, as Joset mentioned. So, usually that means you're facing forward and are able to see your bag. Therefore, place it in a spot where you can clearly see it, in a spot that is off to the side, not covered by anyone else's items
  • Come up with ideas and suggestions on how the situation can improve at Mac and tell Security your ideas! What do you have to lose? Cathy is really approachable and you can get in touch with her at the Crime Prevention Office, Room 101 of MUSC
  • Report the theft right away if it does happen... go and phone security. See if there's security footage of the area it was stolen in. Post about the theft on Facebook... you never know, the theif may return it. *fingers crossed* - in my case, I put up posters and a Facebook ad saying I'd offer a reward for my camera's return, and also stated that the camera's battery would soon run out and the theif didn't have the charger so it would become useless.
  • As for the bathroom case... if you're in the library and you gotta go... I suggest leaving something that isnt as valuable to claim your spot... instead of a $2000 laptop. For example, leave your coat or jacket on the seat at the cubicle or chair that you're in... put your laptop back in your backpack and take your backpack to the washroom with you. It's safest.
Thats all I can think of right now

ps. I didn't get my camera back. But ended up buying a way better one later on to reward myself for my stupidity and carelessness. lol

Old 03-27-2008 at 11:53 PM   #6
joset2

long reply but I liked your ideas and thoughts chad. I am not dissapointed at the campus security or SWAT or 24/7 patrol team....I know they are amazing and I am always grateful for the help they give. A laptop cost almost 1500 these days and loosing it is a very big burden on students. I want to focus on why they happen and why cant we put a halt to it. I study in health sci most of the time and I never see a warning like this there. I v never seen a student complaint abt a missing stuff there either. why ??? Mills is a very big library and so they should offer more security there. I dont know how effective this stop stickers are but that is something we can atleast look on to. I worked really had like other students over summer to buy a laptop I really liked and I dont think any students would want this to happen to them. Please dont think I am critizizing. I just want more effort taken into this issue.

personal story ~ I lost my USB key 7 times and 7 times someone actually returned it. USB gets stolen very often but I am really grateful for those students.
Old 03-28-2008 at 12:03 AM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I think it's good that you're bringing this issue up, as it does need attention. Thankfully we do have an office on campus that have a mission to stop this type of thing, so I just wanted to bring that up.

Of the three years I've been at Mac, I've never left my laptop unattended because to me it's a natural instinct that I need to make sure I have it with me at all times. I purchased my laptop with my own money, so it is very valuable and I feel attached to it as if it was a pile of $2000 cash (I like bksull's analogy). I would never dream of leaving the laptop without it being it my sight... it only takes a second to put in your backpack and carry with you, and only takes that same amount of time to get stolen.

Couple other tips:
1) I've heard you can buy usb keys that 'lock' your computer. Not sure exactly how they work, but I think the idea is that you need to have the key to make the laptop work, if you go away for a second... you can 'lock' the laptop so if it's stolen the theft can't use it without your usb. Doesn't sound like too much of a deterrant to me, but its something. Also, there's other ones that work by proximity... so you plug a mini alarm into the laptop, and have another half in your pocket. If the laptop goes x meters away from you, it triggers an alarm sound so you can find the person walking away with your laptop in their bag. Dunno how effective it is, as I've never tried it.

2) Second thing that came to mind. If you're annoyed cause you don't want to shut down your laptop, close all the programs, and basically close up what you were doing.. just to go to the bathroom for example... then put your computer into HIBERNATION mode. You do this by going to START > TURN OFF COMPUTER, and then there's a 'secret' mode ... if you press the SHIFT key on your keyboard the "STANDBY" button magically turns into a "HIBERNATE" button. Keep holding down SHIFT and click that hibernate button. Basically what it does is shuts your computer down like normal... where it actually turns the power off... except that when you turn it back on the next time, it'll restore your entire session so you're exactly where you left off (programs open and everything).
Old 03-28-2008 at 12:06 AM   #8
joset2

Well said.......:drinking1 1:
Old 03-28-2008 at 12:07 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Thanks for the post Joset

Just a sidenote... the Special Constable in the Guelph photo looks pretty serious. I wouldn't want to get in a confrontation with him lol
Old 03-28-2008 at 12:22 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Joset, just did a little bit of research on the matter and if you're willing to pay some money you can get software that will track your laptop's position everytime the user connects to the Internet. Very smart! The method is called 'phoning home', and there's a bunch of software out there that can do it:

- GadgetTrak for Windows PC
- The CyberAngel w/ Wi-Trac by CyberAngel Security Solutions, Inc.
- BackStopp by Virtuity, Ltd.
- XTool Laptop Tracker by XTool Mobile Security, Inc.
- LoJack for laptops
- PC PhoneHome by Brigadoon Software, Inc.
- nTracker by SyNet Electronics, Inc.
- Inspice Trace by Inspice.
- Verey Mac Theft Recovery Software

One that has good reviews is Gadgettrak. It costs $39.95/yr

It is "a location tracking program that resides on your computer. When the system is moved to a new location it sends you the new location and network information via email. GadgetTrak for Windows PC provides accurate tracking results including the laptop’s public and private IP addresses, as well as host names. By providing the information to law enforcement the tracking results enable identification of the thief’s name, phone number and address."

They claim it's "Tamper Proof & Safe"
http://www.gadgettrak.com/products/windows/works.php

HOWEVER... there ARE FREE ONES out there as well!

1. PAL PC

PAL PC Tracker is a computer tracking and theft recovery software system. PC Tracker allows the user to do their own monitoring and works with both Laptops and Desktop computers.

Every time you boot your computer and have an Internet connection, PC Tracker sends a stealth e-mail message containing its exact location to a pre-determined e-mail address set by the customer. Additionally, it will post a second message on to our servers containing the exact location for extra protection in the case you are unable to check your email.

PAL PC Tracker runs hidden in your system and is password protected.

In the event the computer is stolen, the customer must make a report with the local police and then notify the PC Tracker support team, which will provide full tracking and recovery support.

When the stolen computer goes online it will send a stealth message to our server and the pre-determined e-mail address containing its location. Once this information is received, recovery agents at PC Tracker will work with our customer and the investigating law enforcement agency to recover the stolen property.

· Sends you the location of your PC automatically on start-up

· Protect your computer automatically

· Run hidden in your system

· Password protected options restricts configuration by an unauthorised user

Download it here: http://palsol.com/downloads/websetupLite.exe

2. LOCATE PC
LocatePC is free software, and runs unobtrusively on your computer, with no icons, popups or saved emails. If your computer is stolen then the thief will not even know that LocatePC is running, and as soon as they connect to the internet a secret email is sent to you containing the details that you need to track your hardware.

Download here: http://www.iconico.com/locatePC/locatePC.exe

Both sound promising. And for free... may as well install it and you can thank yourself later when you need to actually use it!
Old 03-28-2008 at 11:07 AM   #11
gregster

Really though, anyone with a brain would wipe the hard drive before using a stolen laptop, rendering those programs useless.
Old 03-28-2008 at 11:30 AM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

You bring up a good point, and I suppose the theif could just take out the harddrive completely and replace it with a new one. The idea is that most thefts on campus would be coming from students who aren't 'professional theives' and thus may not think about these sort of things.

Another article that covers this software and reviews a few of them:
http://www.stoptheft.com/site/news/news_fcw.htm
Old 04-04-2008 at 09:22 AM   #13
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1798 8
Old 04-04-2008 at 05:34 PM   #14
joset2

u rock.....chad...u knw last year u picked me to get on borad on mcinsiders as a writer..... Im going to start posting some meaningful issues up here and GET ON BOARD!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008 at 08:27 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Does this mean you're going to start writing us articles?

We like articles. A lot.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement