MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem accessing slides off Avenue to Learn jo87 Academics 6 12-07-2010 02:50 PM
Solar Jackxer0 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-01-2010 11:39 PM
Solar Pay919 Academics 830 08-23-2009 02:24 AM
Can everyone get on SOLAR, right now? crys.eg Academics 8 07-16-2009 10:01 AM
solar Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-10-2009 08:09 AM

Protips for Accessing SOLAR:

Old 06-08-2011 at 12:16 PM   #31
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There was a huge discussion about MUGSI in the past, someone said that it's not so simple.
Ho hum. :( I guess as long as most of the students survive the course selection, they're good with it...
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:22 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Ho hum. :( I guess as long as most of the students survive the course selection, they're good with it...
Nah, they are upgrading it but it takes time. Implements in 2012 or 2013.

huzaifa47 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-08-2011 at 12:31 PM   #33
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Nah, they are upgrading it but it takes time. Implements in 2012 or 2013.
Oh, hey, I'll still be here when they do that!
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:13 PM   #34
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Jeez, how can a website be that bad? Any Mac student i talk to tells me its the worst. Is it really that hard to get on and choose your courses?
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:33 PM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Jeez, how can a website be that bad? Any Mac student i talk to tells me its the worst. Is it really that hard to get on and choose your courses?
It really all depends on your luck, but more often than not, you'll be clicking, ALT+F4ing or F5ing for at least 2 hours or so. DX
First year course registration, I was done by 12:30, but 2nd and 3rd year weren't so great: once got in at 5am and the other 2:30 am.
Old 06-08-2011 at 06:37 PM   #36
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

hey what auto clicker or auot something programs do u guys use to get into solar faster?
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:01 PM   #37
Nicole

Liked: 2 Times

I find it super frustrating that there is no wait list if a class is full. I was with a friend when she was signing up for courses at another school and she signed in (in about 2 minutes of course) and found out that the course she wanted was full, and then just added herself to the wait list. I was so confused that she could just do that.

Last year when I had to choose courses, all of mine were mandatory so I just went on the next afternoon and it took me about 5 minutes.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:04 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
It really all depends on your luck, but more often than not, you'll be clicking, ALT+F4ing or F5ing for at least 2 hours or so. DX
First year course registration, I was done by 12:30, but 2nd and 3rd year weren't so great: once got in at 5am and the other 2:30 am.
It was the opposite for me XD. First year was my longest, probably took like 3-4 hours to get my courses. I believe MUGSI crashed in my second year, so technically it took 10+ hours to pick my courses, but really it only took like 1-2 hours when MUGSI came back up. Last year was pretty fast, took like an hour ish. This year I finished in like 45 minutes XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevalier View Post
hey what auto clicker or auot something programs do u guys use to get into solar faster?
I don't use any, I don't think you need any. Without using any I can usually get onto MUGSI within 10-15 minutes and on SOLAR in even less time.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:33 PM   #39
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
9: You can get on at almost any point of the day with this trick- Have your mouse cursor over the MUGSI link, and your other hand over Alt + F4. Click, if you see MUGSI is full, hit the keys. Rinse and repeat and rapid speed. Most I've ever had to wait doing this is like 5 minutes.
A better way is to set https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mugsi/li as your homepage, and spam the home button. You only have to press 1 button, and there is no risk of alt-f4ing the FIPPA notice window.

MirandaC, RememberTwce like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:42 PM   #40
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
It was the opposite for me XD. First year was my longest, probably took like 3-4 hours to get my courses. I believe MUGSI crashed in my second year, so technically it took 10+ hours to pick my courses, but really it only took like 1-2 hours when MUGSI came back up. Last year was pretty fast, took like an hour ish. This year I finished in like 45 minutes XD
Oh wow . I was so scared that 10-hour thing would happen this yr after I kept seeing the "connection reset" window. But hey, at least it keeps getting better for you (excluding 2nd yr =P). It just keeps getting worse for me
Old 06-08-2011 at 07:46 PM   #41
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
A better way is to set https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mugsi/li as your homepage, and spam the home button. You only have to press 1 button, and there is no risk of alt-f4ing the FIPPA notice window.
Best way to do it.

Still requires a bit of luck though.
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:29 PM   #42
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

This is making me dread registering. I am new to the experience. Is it safe for me to change my year from prospective student to first yet?

Last edited by MirandaC : 06-08-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:38 PM   #43
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
This is making me dread registering. I am new to the experience. Is it safe for me to change my year from prospective student to firsy yet?
My personal opinion: Wait until you register on SOLAR and pick your courses.

That seems like an adequate rite of passage.

After that you can become a first year and ***** like the rest of us.

britb, Faer, J. Dorey, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 06-08-2011 at 11:40 PM   #44
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwce View Post
My personal opinion: Wait until you register on SOLAR and pick your courses.

That seems like an adequate rite of passage.

After that you can become a first year and ***** like the rest of us.
That sounds legitimate...yay?
Old 06-09-2011 at 03:03 AM   #45
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
I find it super frustrating that there is no wait list if a class is full. I was with a friend when she was signing up for courses at another school and she signed in (in about 2 minutes of course) and found out that the course she wanted was full, and then just added herself to the wait list. I was so confused that she could just do that.

Last year when I had to choose courses, all of mine were mandatory so I just went on the next afternoon and it took me about 5 minutes.
Waitlisting is on the potential menu for the new MUGSI system, and I assure you that there is NO way I'll let them make a new MUGSI without that option!

p.s: Incase you guys want to know more about what's happening with the McMaster Systems Renewal read here
And as mentioned in the thread earlier, we might be seeing improvements by 2012 or 2013 at most.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13