MacInsiders Logo

For Psych 1X03/1XX3, is it required to get both textbook and courseware?

Old 08-30-2012 at 09:53 PM   #1
lovekblue

Liked: 7 Times

Old 08-30-2012 at 11:13 PM   #2
jsaur

Liked: 5 Times

No it is not required to get both. I only bought the textbook. The textbook can help you understand some concepts better and the quizzes will include questions on new material in the textbook. The courseware is basically the lectures printed out for you, which is why i didn't bother getting it.

lovekblue says thanks to jsaur for this post.

cmkc109, lifesciman1 like this.
Old 08-31-2012 at 08:02 AM   #3
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

For Psych1X03: 2-3 questions in each weekly quiz came straight from topics discussed solely in the textbook and not in the modules (video lectures). So, the textbook was only useful when studying for these quizzes. Apart from that, the exam was based solely on the modules.

For Psych1XX3: The textbook wasn't useful at all, unless you wanted to delve into unnecessary detail. Quizzes and the Exam were based on modules notes.

I found both the coursewares helpful. Though they were printed versions of the modules, they were a good way to keep your notes organized with the graphs and pictures provided in the modules. They also had quick summary sheets, a few MCs and mind-maps of the topics, for each module, which were helpful for quickly reviewing concepts. At that back there was also a Glossary, which I found helpful when reviewing terms for the Exam.

lovekblue says thanks to -Ish- for this post.

cmkc109 likes this.
Old 08-31-2012 at 10:54 AM   #4
lovekblue

Liked: 7 Times

does the courseware changes every year?
Old 08-31-2012 at 12:09 PM   #5
kevpatrick27

Liked: 0 Times

Essentially it should be the same but their will be continuous changes.
Old 08-31-2012 at 12:34 PM   #6
polinapel

Get the courseware, it is a good investment. Writing/typing out all the lectures take way too long.
Old 08-31-2012 at 12:53 PM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Coursewear is really good -- its the modules printed with space to write down notes. There are also word lists (I think) and end of chapter module questions that make you think about the material in ways that help you reinforce the concepts you just learned.
Old 08-31-2012 at 01:34 PM   #8
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

For 1XX3 I did not buy the courseware or textbook (I don't remember if we even had one). I watched all of the lectures and made notes though.
Old 08-31-2012 at 03:09 PM   #9
burkusm

when i took psych 2 years ago, the courseware really helped.

the textbook - not so much.
Old 09-03-2012 at 08:47 PM   #10
16shauna

I got the courseware and the textbook, because during tutorial they use the courseware. They usually ask question that the courseware could answer too. So I suggest you get both.