Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 1X03 Handbook goodnews.inc Academics 4 09-09-2009 09:17 PM

Psych 1XX3 Handbook

Old 12-27-2009 at 09:02 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Psych 1XX3 Handbook
Has anybody purchased it so far? Is it similar to the Psych 1X03 handbook?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-27-2009 at 09:04 PM   #2
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

if it is i dont think i want it
Old 12-27-2009 at 09:19 PM   #3
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Lmao, I know what you mean. O_O
I didn't even USE my handbook..

I didn't use it to make my notes because there wasn't enough room to fit everything!
Plus, I write huge, lol. =/

The only thing that WAS useful was the glossary in the back.

Old 12-27-2009 at 09:28 PM   #4
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

and the questions at the end of each section... kinda helped to know what you knew and what you needed to review
Old 12-27-2009 at 09:37 PM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Yeah, that, too..
but that's, like, the ONLY useful thing in the entire book. O_O
not sure if I wanna go spend another $50 for that. =/

Old 12-27-2009 at 09:39 PM   #6
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

yeah true.... I ended up writing notes in it, but only when i was reviewing lectures for exams... other than that i just wrote out my own lecture notes on office word
Old 12-27-2009 at 10:45 PM   #7
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

My experience last year was that the CCW for 1XX3 was very much like the one for 1X03. However, I did find the headings helpful (so as to know what to concentrate on), and there are sections per unit that have to be read because they are testable material. You could just split the CCW with someone, or photocopy it (I think that's illegal, but.. lol).

I didn't think it was worth whatever much it was, but whatever. For me, I would rather pay than go through the stress of splitting it with someone (and not having it when I need it.)

But if you're definitely against it, borrow the book from someone so you can read the testable materials there.

Hope I helped,
Old 12-27-2009 at 11:13 PM   #8
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Quote:
Originally Posted by aya017 View Post
My experience last year was that the CCW for 1XX3 was very much like the one for 1X03. However, I did find the headings helpful (so as to know what to concentrate on), and there are sections per unit that have to be read because they are testable material. You could just split the CCW with someone, or photocopy it (I think that's illegal, but.. lol).

I didn't think it was worth whatever much it was, but whatever. For me, I would rather pay than go through the stress of splitting it with someone (and not having it when I need it.)

But if you're definitely against it, borrow the book from someone so you can read the testable materials there.

Hope I helped,
Yeah, those are some good points.
Lmao, illegal, really? wow, haha, that's funny.

but yeah, I guess I'll just buy the book, and actually try to write in it this time.. =/ I wouldn't want to split it with someone, and have to share it.. pain in the butt.

I'll already be spending like $300 for this term, I could spend another $50.

Old 12-27-2009 at 11:51 PM   #9
aya017

Liked: 22 Times

I think it might be a copyright issue? But I don't know exactly, I just heard it from someone.. who heard it from someone.. who heard it from someone, ad nauseum.

If you could though, photocopying it would be the cheapest way to go. (But then you'd have to find someone who bought the CCW.)
Old 12-28-2009 at 08:38 AM   #10
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

I remember last year that Dr. Kim specifically told us to buy that handbook and that there was indeed testable material within the handbook that was NOT in the Online Lecture modules. If i remember correctly, there were about 4-5 questions out of 30/35 MC questions on our midterm that were directly from the handbook for the first midterm (I'm sure he knew people wouldn't buy it or study from it). The second midterm also contained a couple of questions (maybe 2-3). The exam contained at least one.

xo.monica says thanks to Tleilaxu for this post.
Old 12-28-2009 at 12:38 PM   #11
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I haven't touched that handbook since September honestly. I'll probably still buy the 1XX3 handbook though, might prove to be useful this time.