psych 2TT3, Life sci 2D03 cjdzl Academics 2 08-23-2011 06:43 PM
Psych 2TT3 vs. Life Sci 2D03 paliosag Academics 5 01-01-2011 02:09 PM

Psych 2TT3/ Life Science 2D03

Old 12-08-2013 at 12:27 PM   #1
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

Psych 2TT3/ Life Science 2D03
Hey guys,
Can anyone here that took Animal Behaviour 2D03 with Dr. Ayesha Khan tell me how the course was this year interms of midterms and the assignments. How much reading is involved in that course per week?

Please let me know how you found the course!

Thanks
Old 12-08-2013 at 04:35 PM   #2
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

Easiest course i've ever taken. The midterm & exam was really easy..i studied one night before all the midterms and exams and got a 12. Honestly, easier than natural disasters which is also easy.

Kajeevan says thanks to bobsingh for this post.
Old 12-08-2013 at 07:42 PM   #3
polina_a

Liked: 1 Time

^As far as I know, Dr.Khan has just started teaching the course this year so I'm impressed you already got your mark...especially since the final exam was yesterday

Having just finished the course, I first off want to say that Dr. Khan is a PHENOMENAL professor. She is super approachable, very helpful during her office hours and after class, and legitimately cares about her students. It's incredibly motivating when the prof actually goes out of their way to get to know your name, and help you find the best study method for you. Definitely the one of the best profs I've had, if not the best.

The course material itself is also interesting. You mostly go over experiments revolving around animal behaviour and how they impact our understanding of it, as well as a bit on the scientific method and the history behind this method (it's part of the first three chapters of the course).
The readings vary in length, depending on the length of the chapter and how long it takes us to get through the chapter (usually a week, sometimes longer) so unfortunately I can't give you a specific answer :(

Now to the midterms and exam...it sounds like the course was perceived to be very easy in the previous years, but I can say that this year it is not. The average for second midterm was in the C range, with a handful of people getting 95+. This was also after they took off a couple of questions off the midterm and counted them as bonus questions to increase the marks. I don't know the average for the first midterm, but I can't see it being much higher as the people I talked to, and myself, were not happy with our results as all.
It's not that the material is difficult; some of it is intuitive and all of it is easy to understand. However, the questions we got on the tests were very specific in what they wanted as an answer, and it was easy to lose marks because of this...especially since the tests were mostly written answers. The multiple choice came from our extra readings in the textbook and were very fair, and we had a small portion of the test where we had to identify five true statements out of ~20 which was difficult, especially with the short amount of time we had for the whole test; you really had to be prepared and know the information to do well on the tests.

On the other hand, I found the assignments to be much better (well at least the first one, still waiting for the second assignment marks to be up ). We were notified about them far in advance, and they were straight forward to do. The TAs were also very helpful when you asked them questions about the assignment and what they were looking for, especially since the outlines were a bit confusing.

Anyways, I hope that this review was at least somewhat helpful. I would say that this course is manageable if you stay on top of your studying and readings, and avoid cramming the test information the night before...I can say from experience that the results aren't optimal if you do it this way As I said before, there was a handful of people that got a great mark on the second midterm, so it is doable-you just have to put in the work!

Kajeevan says thanks to polina_a for this post.
Old 12-13-2013 at 01:18 PM   #4
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

Thank you