MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Online lectures for 2D03 HUMAN SEXUALITY ????? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-20-2010 10:52 AM
Can any one please give me infor on COLLAB 2D03 HUMAN SEXUALITY ? AK05 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-02-2010 09:44 AM
Psych 3YY3 Evolution of Human COmmunication navb Academics 0 06-09-2010 09:17 PM
Psych 3AC3- Human Sexuality with Ostovich Anaam Academics 3 01-06-2010 02:53 AM
Psych 3rd year - Human sexuality collieee Academics 0 12-10-2009 01:52 PM

Psych 3AC3 - Human Sexuality

Published by Lois
04-30-2010
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 93%

I took this with Dr. Ostovich. She is one of the best professors at McMaster.

The material is so interesting and the way she delivers lectures is highly entertaining and engaging. The first part of the course focuses on 'what is sex', the evolution component takes up most of the course - regarding male and female mate preferences, and the social psychology component covers topics like attachment and "non-normative*" sexuality.

This is a difficult course. There are three midterm tests that are essays, but it is possible to do well. Learn how to answer the questions in the way that she prefers and make sure you 'tell a story'.

Overall, this was highly recommended.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 3AC3 - Human Sexuality!

Old 11-22-2010 at 08:31 PM   #2
alicia11
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
- Dr. O is unreal
- like in social psychology, you need to be prepared to be scribbling down notes/typing at a very fast paced because you realllyy want to get the important things down and u really want to get details of the studies she explains down, because when she asks you to describe some of the research, in the midterm, you may just have to describe one piece of research, but in a lot of detail to get gull marks.
- very interesting material,, one of those classes that you love going to over all your other classes
- essay-style midterms (i.e. one midterm is composed of 3 very long answer questions) are not that difficult as long as you understand the material (which is a breeze to study) and can tie it all in together.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 11-29-2010 at 05:50 PM   #3
Commander
P.I.M.P
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First
Residence: **** place

Liked: 63 Times
Mmmm, sex....

Is there a course/study where it's more practical than theoretical. If not, are there labs for this course?
Old 12-04-2010 at 03:08 PM   #4
NowHere
Year: Third

Liked: 14 Times
What are the class sizes like? Can people just come and listen if they are not part of the course?

Old 04-13-2011 at 08:13 PM   #5
Ayesha
Faculty: Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
class sizes are not too big, I had mine in HSC 1A1
Old 04-30-2011 at 02:56 PM   #6
kimzy
Program: Sociology
Year: Fourth
Residence: Les Prince Hall :) now Off Campus

Liked: 48 Times
does anyone know the name of the books used for this course?
Old 03-14-2015 at 04:30 AM   #7
Bigmacfatpack
Program: Science

Liked: 13 Times
It is mostly research-based, so looking over and reading over papers on your own. I don't believe there is a textbook, however there may be a coursepack.
Old 06-21-2015 at 05:57 PM   #8
lilrush
Program: Life Science

Liked: 6 Times
I took this class in winter 2015 with Ostovich.
Don't let the title of this course fool you, this is not by any means a course that is about common sense facts about sex. The readings are all papers, and are mostly lengthy and dry. Attending class is an absolute MUST; every word she speaks is testable.

There is no textbook, and there is no course pack, only a list of articles to acquire online (ie. google scholar). The tests are difficult. MC items are often harder than SA items. I ran out of time on both midterms.

Ostovich is one of my favourite profs and an extremely efficient lecturer. She is enjoyable to listen to in my opinion, and I was always wide awake in this class. If you know ostovich and how she tests, you will do well. That being said, this course is by absolutely no means easy. Do not take this course as a bird. Take it if you are genuinely interested in psychology and in primary research.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search