Psych 3yy3 macscico'12 Academics 7 06-12-2011 09:33 PM
Psych 3vv3 rrtt Academics 0 12-14-2010 06:21 PM
Psych 3A03, 3T03, 3U03, 3VV3, 3YY3? moops Academics 2 08-25-2009 01:16 AM

Psych 3BA3, 3GG3, 3T03, 3VV3, 3YY3, 4MH3, 4Y03

Old 05-25-2012 at 07:19 PM   #1
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Psych 3BA3, 3GG3, 3T03, 3VV3, 3YY3, 4MH3, 4Y03
I'm going into my fourth year in psych and I need to take two more upper-level psychs to complete my degree, though I am considering taking some as electives (such as Positive Psych, which is only available as an elective for us). Aside from one or two of these courses, there aren't reviews posted for them, nor threads containing lots of feedback about them. Would anyone who took one or more of the following courses tell me what they thought of them?

Positive Psychology
Developmental Psychology
Behavioural Ecology
Evolution of Communication (my main concern as there wasn't even an outline posted for '11-'12!)
Human Memory
Evolution & Mental Health (which I understand is a newer course)
Hormones, Neurochemistry, and Behaviour

I am mostly debating between BE, EoC, and HNB as my second psych course, but I'd love to hear what people suggest.

P.S. How are Dr. Day courses that don't have a quiz bank (such as positive psych)? I felt like my success in abnormal and personality were largely attributed to the quiz banks, and I feel like getting an amazing grade without the quiz bank would be impossible, due to the sheer volume of details you must know.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2012 at 08:43 PM   #2
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Come on! You're telling me no one has taken any of these 7 courses? I'd love you long time if you'd reply!
Old 05-28-2012 at 09:49 AM   #3
kristina

Liked: 3 Times

I took PSYCH 3YY3, it was based on 2 papers worth 20% each, participation in discussion worth 20% and then a final paper worth 40%. It was a super light workload, no textbook and it was a pretty decent course. The format for the first paper was a typical scientific paper and I believe it was 5 pages double space. The second paper the prof gave us questions to answer instead and it was also 5 pages. The final paper was also a list of questions we had to answer and it was 10 pages. Overall, it was an alright course, I would recommend it.

_Mike says thanks to kristina for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 05-28-2012 at 10:45 AM   #4
sexytuna

Liked: 9 Times

I took Evolution of Communication 3YY3 and Evolution & Mental Health 4MH3. Both courses were really interesting and had an okay course load...if you're good with your time management.

3YY3 - (for the 2011/2012 year anyway) - No midterms, 2 papers (each 20%) and a final paper (50%) - Had it with Dr. Feinberg. Fun guy. Him and the TAs were strict, hard markers. Overall, great course though! Learned a lot We had lectures and had a discussion class every week that counted for a lot of participation marks! No book to buy oh yeah!

4MH3- (for the 2011/2012 year) - No midterms, 5 papers in all (25% each), written every other week related to the weeks' topic. Final paper (50%) open topic. This is probably going to change for next year! It was hard to write a paper every other week especially since the topics were so open. Had it with Dr. Andrews. He was alright...he was a new prof, so he was doing a lot of adjusting. Classes were discussion based. No boooks!!! Overall, extremely interesting and you learn a lot about the complexities surrounding Mental Health...WITH EVOLUTION which is a plus

I recommend both of them if you're okay with a lot of writing...

_Mike says thanks to sexytuna for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:34 AM   #5
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I took 3YY3 the last academic year, so I'm not going to repeat what was already said. I will add, though, that Dr. Feinberg and the T.A.'s (the one T.A. especially) are tough markers. So if writing isn't your strong suit, you may not want to take this course.

I took 3BA3 with Dr. Day this last year and it was alright overall. The material got kind of boring at times but it was alright overall. If you're concerned about not having a test bank, don't even worry about it. Most of the class did amazing, and got high marks (B+ - A+) on both midterms, and same for the final. You'll do great. There was a textbook, but it wasn't too bad in terms of readings. You'd have to read about 3-4 chapters per topic, and each topic lasted him like 3 weeks, if not a bit more. The chapters weren't too long, and actually kind of interesting.

_Mike says thanks to xo.monica for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:42 AM   #6
kristina

Liked: 3 Times

^ yeah, one of the TAs killed me on one of my papers, but the other two I felt were fairly marked.

_Mike says thanks to kristina for this post.
Old 05-28-2012 at 02:08 PM   #7
nessa18

Liked: 9 Times

I took Psych 3GG3 this past fall. I liked the course. Material wasn't too bad. It was two midterms - 27 percent each and an exam- 40 percent and these workshops- 3 of them worth 2 percent each. They are pretty easy, you are given a question- you have to answer. Get to talk with your classmates and use your notes and textbook- as long as you write enough info. Easy 2/2. The midterms were all multiple choice and not too bad. The exam was alright as well, there were actually questions from the midterms on it. Overall it's not too bad of a course and it touches on a lot of things learned from previous psych courses.

_Mike says thanks to nessa18 for this post.

_Mike likes this.