MacInsiders Logo

Psych 3H03 - The Arts and the Brain

Old 05-25-2012 at 02:06 AM   #1
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Psych 3H03 - The Arts and the Brain
Can anyone comment on the overall difficulty/workload of this course? I saw a previous review stating that the testing was difficult and was wondering if others agreed.

Also, are all the lectures extremely dense, because 1600 slides resembling the first neuroanatomy slides seems overwhelming ( http://neuroarts.org/pdf/LEC1a_ANAT.pdf - check out the first lecture!) - and what does the comprehensive exam entail?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012 at 04:27 PM   #2
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

Yes, I was wondering about this course too... Can anyone give us more info on it?
Old 05-25-2012 at 06:10 PM   #3
sud28

Liked: 2 Times

I took 3H03 course last semester, and I found the course to be quite interesting. However it is definitely one of the most intense courses I have taken. The course focuses on the neural basis of the varies arts including music, dance, drama, visual arts + it also covers Olfaction and Gustation . The course is very heavy on the neuroanatomy and requires a LOT of memorization. However the course is organized quite well and I really feel that the content covered in this course will be extremely useful for anyone considering grad studies in neuroscience or even med school.

The mark breakdown is as follows:-
- 10% neuroanatomy test – A 30 question MC test that covers the 1st week of lectures. This is neuroanatomy slides you mentioned.
- 15% Quizzes – 4 quizes (3.75% each) , done online , MC questions . Tests only assigned reading from the textbook and not material covered in lecture/ppt slides
- 20% x 2 Tests- Each Test include T/F , MC , Fill in the Blank, 3-4 Short answer questions. Note that Test 2 is written the same day as the Cumulative exam and covers material after Test 1.
- 15% Essay- Term paper using at least 3 related scientific research articles that use neuroimaging techniques to study any of the arts.
- 20% comprehensive Exam – Tests everything covered in lectures. The format for our exam was about 25-30 fills in the blank questions. These were one or two word responses.

If you are good at memorization you will definitely do well in this class. Our class averages on the midterms and exam this term were actually quite high. If you guys have any more questions feel free to ask.

akeludjian, allstarme, rkb12 all say thanks to sud28 for this post.
Old 06-13-2012 at 12:43 PM   #4
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
Also, are all the lectures extremely dense, because 1600 slides resembling the first neuroanatomy slides seems overwhelming ( http://neuroarts.org/pdf/LEC1a_ANAT.pdf - check out the first lecture!)

Where did you find the link to the lecture? I sort of wanna check out what I'm getting myself into. The last time I took a course with just mindless memorization, that was by no means enjoyable.. but this course sounds so interesting D: ugh
Old 06-13-2012 at 01:51 PM   #5
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarme View Post
Where did you find the link to the lecture? I sort of wanna check out what I'm getting myself into. The last time I took a course with just mindless memorization, that was by no means enjoyable.. but this course sounds so interesting D: ugh
Honestly I came upon that link by chance. I wouldv'e taken it if it didn't conflict/werent another evening course. What course did you regret taking?
Old 06-13-2012 at 04:07 PM   #6
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

Aw that's too bad, I totally thought I found some potential classmates lol.
I regret biochem 2ee3 with all my heart.