MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Kinesiology 3T03 Venalb Academics 0 08-12-2010 12:23 AM
Psych 3T03 qwerty! Academics 0 07-31-2010 12:41 AM
Do you need into Biology 3U03 and Psych 3T03?? katesaidhi Academics 1 01-07-2010 09:47 AM
Psych 3A03, 3T03, 3U03, 3VV3, 3YY3? moops Academics 2 08-25-2009 01:16 AM
Psych 3T03 moops Academics 4 08-13-2009 10:32 AM

Psych 3T03

Psych 3T03
Behavioural Ecology
Published by Harlequin
05-01-2011
Published by

Psych 3T03

Mark Breakdown:
Midterms - best 2/3 @ 22% each
Workshops - 3 @ 2% each
Exam - 50%

The professor for this class is Dr. Balshine. She's a great lecturer and is very approachable and loves to talk about the course material. This class builds on Psych 2TT3. Off the top of my head, topics included mating systems, sexual conflict, parental behaviour, social behaviour, sibling rivalry and mate choice. I loved going to lectures for this class because we'd often get to watch videos and I'd always come away from class with a random, interesting fact about an animal.

There were A LOT of readings for the class, textbook and papers, and we were expected to know the readings pretty well. You really cannot get away with not doing the readings because the midterms were pretty much 50% lecture material and 50% readings.

The first midterm was a mix of MC, short answer and long answer. The second midterm was similar and the third midterm had only MC and short answer. The exam was all MC and, I thought, much easier than the midterms.

The workshops were just answering a couple of questions with the people around you in class. Easy marks.

Overall, I really enjoyed this class and it was probably one of my favourite classes of all time. If you enjoyed Psych 2TT3, you should probably enjoy this.

sexytuna likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 3T03!

Old 05-27-2011 at 11:16 AM   #2
Quester

Liked: 6 Times
Thanks for the review.

Were the workshops during the lecture time or tutorial because there's no tutorial this year.
Also, how were the tests, especially the short and long answer questions? Were they relatively difficult compared to other bio courses, per se?
Old 05-27-2011 at 12:42 PM   #3
sexytuna

Liked: 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
Thanks for the review.

Were the workshops during the lecture time or tutorial because there's no tutorial this year.
Also, how were the tests, especially the short and long answer questions? Were they relatively difficult compared to other bio courses, per se?
I also took this course and the workshops were held during lecture time. They are quick and easy to do.

The long answers on the midterm was mostly being able to remember what you read in the text and articles and articulating them the best you can, in terms of the main themes and ideas. Hypothesis, purpose, methods, results, conclusions and how they tie into what you learned.

The short answers were mostly on the lecture material.

Of course these changed over the 3 midterms...but not too much.

This course is fair and easy if you spend a good amount of time learning the material.

meddling says thanks to sexytuna for this post.
Old 05-27-2011 at 01:00 PM   #4
Quester

Liked: 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexytuna View Post
I also took this course and the workshops were held during lecture time. They are quick and easy to do.

The long answers on the midterm was mostly being able to remember what you read in the text and articles and articulating them the best you can, in terms of the main themes and ideas. Hypothesis, purpose, methods, results, conclusions and how they tie into what you learned.

The short answers were mostly on the lecture material.

Of course these changed over the 3 midterms...but not too much.

This course is fair and easy if you spend a good amount of time learning the material.
Thanks!

I hope the articles aren't too difficult to read. So the final verdict-- is it 11+ given the fact that we do all the readings?

Old 05-27-2011 at 01:32 PM   #5
sexytuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quester View Post
Thanks!

I hope the articles aren't too difficult to read. So the final verdict-- is it 11+ given the fact that we do all the readings?
The articles were really interesting and so was the text. But some of them were loooong. It is still a great course! 11+ yes, I would recommend it.

Quester says thanks to sexytuna for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 11:48 AM   #6
nessa18

Has anyone who took this course done psych 3b03? how does it compare to it? They are both at the same time and I am stuck on which one to take plus this course seems like Psych 2TT3 all over again.
Old 06-06-2011 at 05:46 PM   #7
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa18 View Post
Has anyone who took this course done psych 3b03? how does it compare to it? They are both at the same time and I am stuck on which one to take plus this course seems like Psych 2TT3 all over again.
I don't know about 3B03 but I assure you this class is not 2TT3 all over again. Other than the first few lectures that cover natural selection and evolution and Darwin and all that, everything else is new material and, I found, a lot more interesting than 2TT3.
Old 06-14-2011 at 11:21 AM   #8
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times
what type of things were covered in workshops?

did you have to hand in an assignement at the end of class?
Old 06-16-2011 at 03:39 PM   #9
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times
anyone? please
Old 06-16-2011 at 05:14 PM   #10
Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWave View Post
what type of things were covered in workshops?

did you have to hand in an assignement at the end of class?
Yes the workshop was handed in at the end of class and it took all class to do it. There were 3 sections in each workshop. First one you answered on your own, the second one with a partner and the third with a group of people around you. The questions were short/long answer and problem solving type questions. They were not difficult and you have access to whatever you want (text, notes, laptop).

BlueWave says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 08-15-2011 at 11:55 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
Hey guys, just wondering whether anyone has had Dr. Beston as well, and if so, which professor do you prefer?

He's teaching LS 3C03, which is an anti-req to this class. I can take either and be fine, so I'm wondering which professor is better? If they're similar I'd be likely to stick with Dr Balshine because her class hours are a bit more reasonable (3C03 is an evening class while this class is not).

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-17-2011 at 05:46 PM   #12
Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Hey guys, just wondering whether anyone has had Dr. Beston as well, and if so, which professor do you prefer?

He's teaching LS 3C03, which is an anti-req to this class. I can take either and be fine, so I'm wondering which professor is better? If they're similar I'd be likely to stick with Dr Balshine because her class hours are a bit more reasonable (3C03 is an evening class while this class is not).

Thanks for any help.
I've had both..
Dr. Beston is definitely an easier professor in terms of tests, being lenient with marks and adjusting marks. Dr. Balshine is a little bit harder because she requires you to do a lot of readings and tests very specific details from the readings, but she is a really good professor and is really good with the material. Dr. Beston is a pretty good prof too. I would go with Balshine if the hours work better for you, I don't think it makes much of a difference, professor wise.
Old 12-28-2011 at 07:00 PM   #13
meddling

Liked: 3 Times
Would you recommend taking Psych 2TT3 before this course? I have Genetics and Ecology (both of which can be used as prereqs), however, I was wondering if Psych 2TT3 will help me understand/do well in the course.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2011 at 11:40 PM   #14
Harlequin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddling View Post
Would you recommend taking Psych 2TT3 before this course? I have Genetics and Ecology (both of which can be used as prereqs), however, I was wondering if Psych 2TT3 will help me understand/do well in the course.

Thanks
Don't think it will help you do any better. But if you take 2TT3 some topics, especially at the beginning of the course, will be review.

meddling says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 12-29-2011 at 11:11 AM   #15
meddling

Liked: 3 Times
^Thanks! 12char

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search