MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psych 3i06 Nicki Academics 1 08-15-2011 07:41 AM
anyone planning on dropping life sci 2h03, psych 2ap3, or psych 2c03 second semester? macbaby07 Academics 2 07-12-2010 05:32 PM

Psych/PNB 3I06

Old 09-06-2012 at 02:35 PM   #1
Revolution1

Liked: 77 Times

Psych/PNB 3I06
Has anyone taken the course PNB 3I06 - Psychology Practicum? If so, how was the workload? I'm doing my Honours thesis this year as well and was wondering whether it's a good idea to do the practicum and thesis together.
Old 09-06-2012 at 02:38 PM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

The workload for the Practicum is pretty close to a thesis. The final write up is a bit smaller than a full thesis (well this depends on who you're working with, but it should be a bit smaller than a thesis) but the actual research you have to do is almost exactly what you'd have to do for a thesis. You can do a Thesis and Practicum together though, just be prepared for a pretty massive amount of work in the latter half of second semester.

Revolution1 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 09-06-2012 at 02:46 PM   #3
Revolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
The workload for the Practicum is pretty close to a thesis. The final write up is a bit smaller than a full thesis (well this depends on who you're working with, but it should be a bit smaller than a thesis) but the actual research you have to do is almost exactly what you'd have to do for a thesis. You can do a Thesis and Practicum together though, just be prepared for a pretty massive amount of work in the latter half of second semester.
OK, thanks. Did you take the two together at the same time?

Oh, and I notice you were in BioPsych (like me right now!). What were your favourite upper year courses (3rd and 4th year)? I am thinking of dropping the practicum since the workload might be too much, and Ann Hollingshead did not recommend the two together, however, I'm having trouble picking a replacement course from the Bio and Psych list. Most of the ones that I find interesting are full :(
Old 09-06-2012 at 03:03 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1 View Post
OK, thanks. Did you take the two together at the same time?

Oh, and I notice you were in BioPsych (like me right now!). What were your favourite upper year courses (3rd and 4th year)? I am thinking of dropping the practicum since the workload might be too much, and Ann Hollingshead did not recommend the two together, however, I'm having trouble picking a replacement course from the Bio and Psych list. Most of the ones that I find interesting are full :(
I did the Practicum in my 3rd year while doing a QQ3. I did 2 Theses in my 4th year though and it's basically the same workload as a Practicum and a Thesis. It wasn't bad for most of the year, but March was pretty hellish. I mainly took ecology, behaviour, and evolution courses in 3rd/4th year Bio/Psych. I didn't really take enough non-research courses to give you any good suggestions for courses though.
Old 09-06-2012 at 03:08 PM   #5
Revolution1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
I did the Practicum in my 3rd year while doing a QQ3. I did 2 Theses in my 4th year though and it's basically the same workload as a Practicum and a Thesis. It wasn't bad for most of the year, but March was pretty hellish. I mainly took ecology, behaviour, and evolution courses in 3rd/4th year Bio/Psych. I didn't really take enough non-research courses to give you any good suggestions for courses though.
Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to do two theses! That's really impressive. Both of them were 9 units?
Old 09-06-2012 at 03:21 PM   #6
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Yea, the Bio and Psych theses aren't anti-requisites, it's probably just an oversight since the Science faculty seems to constantly forget BioPsych exists, but I was able to signup for and do two 9 unit theses.