MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics tutor? killza Academics 5 04-13-2010 12:29 PM
tutor for oral english oo0cry First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-22-2009 05:53 PM
I Need A Tutor ASAP - Physics 1E03 Bobert Academics 6 03-09-2009 05:25 PM
Tutor wanted? Calculus/Economics Tutor available tutormac Academics 4 10-12-2008 08:19 PM

Psych Tutor!

Old 10-21-2009 at 12:17 AM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Welcome to University.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Hey,

I have to completely disagree with everything you are saying.

1) There are quizzes and there are assignments. The quizzes directly test you on lecture material, and the assignments are research based. Keep in mind, as is explained in the very first class - the Intropsych classes are based on experimental psychology, and so we need to work on establishing research skills. Honestly, you will realize down the road how useful it is that the assignments forced you to learn this stuff - proper APA and research skills will be essential throughout the rest of your degree. As said above, Welcome to University - it's not an easy ride.

2) Application style is used to avoid people who have a good memory being able to do well off of just rote memorization. You need to understand concepts in order to do well in upper year psychology and that is what these courses are meant to prepare you for.

3) The lectures are actually significantly detailed. As well, keep in mind we 6 hours of office hours online and in person Monday to Friday to help you understand anything you need help with. This course has the most resources of any course you will find to help you succeed. It's up to you to use them!

4) You may not realize it, but the tutorials are actually quite useful. Although they don't repeat everything in your lectures (which what would be the point in that?), they help you learn those application skills. Every activity enforces a specific application of a concept you used to help you learn the material better. However, just like anything else you have to put the effort in for it to be useful. University is largely about making the effort - and I guarantee you won't find another course that has as many resources as this course to help you succeed.
I totally agree with what you guys are saying, well most of it. Those weren't my complaints by the way. I'm having a hard time with some of the concepts, not the course itself. These are just the redundant comments I'm hearing over and over from all the psych students, and the reply to "why is everyone having such a hard time with the course this year?"

1- I've already done APA, and research skills and such in high school. So it's not a problem. My only comment about the assignments is how detailed they have to be, but then again, I know that's important. So even if it's marked in a really detailed manner, like it was said before.. that's university. And in reality, it takes some time to get used to.
2-Exactly. And that's also what I hated about challenge & change in grade 12.
3- The course definitely has a ton of resources, but I feel that they're still pretty incomplete.. until I read the textbook. The lectures are detailed to some extent, but the textbook really ties everything together for a better overall understanding of the concepts.
4-The tutorials are useful, but 1 hour a week is not enough to cover all the important concepts (30-40 minutes worth of online lectures). That way, some topics get covered and are understood more than others - others which students might be having problems with. I would've actually preferred it if it was more than one hour, but not much can be done about that really.
Overall, the course isn't bad at all, the material is actually really interesting.

McIntyre likes this.