MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Men's Volleyball vs Queens - Nov 6th at 8PM Sammcmaster MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-06-2009 12:39 PM
McMASTER Mens Rugby Team Beats Queens and Reclaims OUA Title! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-12-2008 02:46 PM

Queens Vs Mac

Old 05-11-2009 at 06:57 PM   #1
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Queens Vs Mac
Well I'd admit my bias right away, I loved McMaster, especially recently at [email protected] So in a way, what I really want is to hear some dirt on Queens, more specifically their science program if possible.

I got accepted to McMaster life sci, Queens Science, Waterloo life sci with co-op, and Ottawa Biomedicine and I basically narrowed it down to McMaster and Queens.

P.S. How bad is first year chemistry? I loathe chem.
Old 05-11-2009 at 07:16 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
P.S. How bad is first year chemistry? I loathe chem.
First year chemistry wasn't that bad, most of it was review with a little more in-depth learning. They both offer ways to get the highest mark possible, if you score higher on the exam than your midterm, then you exam will count for the weight of the exam AND the midterm, and that midterm will be dropped.

Depending on your high school, you may have done all of the labs before. I've done 3-4 of the labs in first term, or labs that are like them.

For more information on both courses you can look for Chem 1A03 and 1AA3 in the course review section.

Juicebox says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-11-2009 at 07:32 PM   #3
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

I personally hated first year chemistry, specially Chem 1AO3. Even though most of it was review, i still found it very challenging. All the other courses I found really easy, some were even easier than highschool courses.
Old 05-11-2009 at 08:46 PM   #4
chugaucon

Liked: 11 Times

I too hated first year Chem, but if you're willing to put in the work (as with any course), you'll do just fine.

And as for "dirt" on Queen's, I doubt a lot of ppl know it since we all go to Mac on this forum...But why don't you consider what Mac has to offer that Queen's can't? (e.g. distance, campus life, scholarships, etc)
Old 05-11-2009 at 10:00 PM   #5
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

All my rich friends go to Queens. *Jealous*
Old 05-12-2009 at 06:34 AM   #6
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Why jealous? I've heard lots, especially from the engineering side, about people being so stuck up, and competitive with each other.

They also smash their jackets on the ground... jeez people, jackets are expensive, and we don't have money to blow. Daddy's not paying for everything for us....

janeller says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 05-12-2009 at 08:34 AM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I've heard that Queens isn't very diverse at all, more specifically rich Caucasian students make up a large majority of the student body there. Buuut I haven't seen the campus for myself, and I only have a couple of friends who go there.
Old 05-12-2009 at 08:50 AM   #8
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Chem 1A03/1AA3 wasn't that bad. It was difficult at some times however there is always plenty of help. In fact I'd say there was more help available for that course then any other science course I took.
Old 05-12-2009 at 10:29 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I haven't had particularly nice conversations with Queen's administration/staff. If they treat a prospective student like crap, I can only imagine what it's like once they get your money.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-12-2009 at 01:00 PM   #10
ViktorVaughn

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Why jealous? I've heard lots, especially from the engineering side, about people being so stuck up, and competitive with each other.
So the difference with McMaster is... ?
Old 05-12-2009 at 02:41 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
So the difference with McMaster is... ?
You have proven yourself a formidable adversary. I tip my hat to you sir.
Old 06-10-2009 at 09:03 AM   #12
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

I was in the same situation when I was deciding what university to go to last year.. except I had an athletic scholarship dangling in front of me for queen's.
I agree with the other posts in that Queen's is not very diverse at all, nor did the people seem friendly. I didn't feel like I fit in when I was visiting.
When i initially toured mac on march break, I never felt so at home; even more than I did at highschool. It was so diverse, yet still familiar, and everyone was so friendly.
Distance is another factor. I'm from Mississauga, so Mac is far enough away from home, yet close enough when I want to visit. Queen's on the other hand...a 3 hour trek.. and it snows more there!
As for chem? I didn't find it that bad at all, and I had very little lab experience from highschool. I did well in Chem 1AO3 and was doing well in 1AA3 before the exam.. but that's another story. The profs are great, especially Dr. Lock! I hope that helps =)
Old 06-10-2009 at 09:43 AM   #13
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Guys, the stereotype that Queens is made up of quite wealthy kids isn't really false. Just so everyone knows.

Some points:

Queens is made up of a LOT of kids who formerly went to private school. Of my private school in Toronto (which will remain nameless, though if you really wanted it enough, you could probably figure it out) had a graduating class of just over 80 students. More than 40 of them went to Queens.

I looked at the Queens 2012 Facebook group. 7 pages of the people on the group were my friend on facebook. Another 5 or so pages had at least 5 mutual friends (from the private school crowd).

That's the main reason I didn't go there. In a school that small, and a campus that small, knowing SO many people is big. Sure, I could have gone there and had a great social safety net. But I didn't. For me, going away to university is supposed to be new, not a continuation of the cliques I was part of at university.

And yes, Queens is cliquey. I actually just drove back from a cottage party with my best friend from Queens and his new Queens friends (yes, you WILL meet new people at Queens). A lot of the stories being told were about people I graduated with (or people I knew from other private schools!). Everyone knows everyone, that's the way it works. I drove home with a girl who went to a public school in a small town about an hour from Toronto, she was telling me how she found it difficult at first to integrate into these groups where everyone knew each other. But obviously she managed.

Don't get me wrong, Queens is a phenomenal school. Academically (in terms of sciences) though, they're on par with McMaster I'd say. Either one would be a good choice. However, I'd say that people at McMaster are more academically inclined than their Queens counterparts (don't even let me get started on Western....)

If you want more info, let me know, I can elaborate.
Old 06-10-2009 at 10:23 AM   #14
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

The real question is this:

Why would you pay $10,000 PER YEAR for an undergrad degree at Queens, when you could get the same one for $5000 per year at McMaster?

As far as people at Queens all being rich, there probably is some truth to that, but some of my friends went and they aren't exactly driving ferraris.
Old 06-10-2009 at 10:35 AM   #15
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
The real question is this:

Why would you pay $10,000 PER YEAR for an undergrad degree at Queens, when you could get the same one for $5000 per year at McMaster?

As far as people at Queens all being rich, there probably is some truth to that, but some of my friends went and they aren't exactly driving ferraris.

Source that Queen's costs more? I'm not sure you're correct. I'm pretty sure it's the same. Unless you're in commerce, but commerce ANYWHERE is expensive.

I remember Ivey was the most expensive undergrad degree, tuition is somewhere in the 20s.