MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Men's Volleyball vs Queens - Nov 6th at 8PM Sammcmaster MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-06-2009 12:39 PM
McMASTER Mens Rugby Team Beats Queens and Reclaims OUA Title! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 11-12-2008 02:46 PM

Queens Vs Mac

Old 06-10-2009 at 11:29 PM   #31
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
PTGreg & Ownaginatios,

Not the kind of message we want on our forums...please refrain from using taunting cheers. It sets a bad impression of Mac, especially when you have incoming students, and those who have no accepted their offers reading threads.
Sorry I'll stop. But let's be perfectly honest, they are going to hear them during welcome week anyways. Not that I condone it; I do find them humorous, but I can see why people hate it a lot after hearing it for a while and especially if targets them. Engineers will be engineers!
Old 06-11-2009 at 12:16 AM   #32
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I find them numerous as well, but it helps when all faculties are targeted, and not just humanities...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2009 at 08:56 AM   #33
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I really feel like a lot of the cheers we do are more humorous than hurtful, and the humanities these past couple years have come up with a few against us and i think that's great!

It starts to install faculty pride during frosh week. And we DO tell everyone we don't *hate* artsies or anyone, it's just in good fun - fight back!!

Most engineers I know who I have had this discussion with really respect people who are going to school for what they like - thats awesome! and I agree, doing a minor in humanities myself.

I really really dislike that we're giggling about those cheers here, and that you go and scold us like we've said something truly awful. Please save your nagging for comments that have hurtful intentions
Old 06-11-2009 at 08:59 AM   #34
micadjems
Awesome Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Spatula!

Spatula!

I love engineer cheers! (mainly because they never make fun of Commerce....at least I haven't heard one)

Also, here's one you may have missed out on:

Management takes a year!

That's all I can think of at the moment, though. I think many of them don't come up to us and try to cheer against us on frosh week, and that could be why we don't have one against them.

And yes, by the way, other faculties come up to US on faculty day (Humanities, soc sci, health sci, artsci) and try to cheer at us.... what do you think is going to happen? We're going to fight back!
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:05 AM   #35
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

A joke, I know, but to me that's the equivalent of saying "No offence" and then going ahead and saying something offensive anyway.
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:37 AM   #36
micadjems
Awesome Member

Please note that in comparison to your scenario, someone else started the argument, and knew that you would say things like that if they started it.
Old 06-11-2009 at 10:43 AM   #37
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

To all,

If you wish to discuss the properties of Faculty cheering during Welcome Week please do so in another thread. The question posed originally in the thread has become lost in what all are saying.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2009 at 03:01 PM   #38
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

*shrug*

I really don't have much to discuss anymore.
The cheers irritate me. I'm not a first year any more so they don't directly affect me, but I do feel bad for the first years who are offended by them, and I will spend my time and effort during WW (if I am ever involved in it again) discouraging people from insulting other faculties.

I'm sorry if you felt as if I was attacking you, micadjems.
Old 06-11-2009
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-11-2009 at 05:12 PM   #39
micadjems
Awesome Member

No worries, I was just trying to bring up the other side of the argument - no need for closure or anything, its a pretty open issue and people will always be ticked off about it, and the same points are thrown around and no one seems to listen to those "stupid engineers" anyways .

Also, mac engineers > queens engineers. Seriously every time I have encountered them or heard of encounters they have been inCREDIBLY rude. So if you think we're rude you should meet them.
Old 06-11-2009 at 05:23 PM   #40
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Ahahaha. I love being in a faculty that loves all and is loved by all.

Peace and love,
from nurses

Last edited by davey : 06-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.