MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Question..

Old 03-03-2010 at 02:01 PM   #1
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Question..
Hey
So I recently signed a lease for a house for the coming fall term.. but now my mother is suddenly having problems with the people I'm living with... (she's very traditional).. so I was wondering what I should do? I tried posting up adds for my room but no one has really replied or expressed interest - it's really a great house.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:03 PM   #2
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

what is wrong with the people you are living with? It is you that is living there not your mom...If your okay living those people then I dont really see the problem?
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:03 PM   #3
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

what exactly is it your mother doesn't like about your roommates? maybe other people won't want your roommates either.
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:05 PM   #4
Keenu

No,my roommates are actually awesome.
They're all in health sci, so the house is a non partyish one. What my mom has a problem with - not meaning to offend anyone - is that I am not living with brown people , as I am brown. And also there is one guy in the house too so she has a problem there too.
I understand that she's not living there, but I would rather she be comfortable with my living situation
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:27 PM   #5
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Is your mom paying the rent? If she is, well, you're in quite a pickle.
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:40 PM   #6
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

I apologize in advance... but tell your mom to get over it.
Old 03-03-2010 at 02:48 PM   #7
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniderj View Post
I apologize in advance... but tell your mom to get over it.
You clearly have never met a brown mother. They are a force to be reckoned with.
Old 03-03-2010 at 03:20 PM   #8
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
No,my roommates are actually awesome.
They're all in health sci, so the house is a non partyish one. What my mom has a problem with - not meaning to offend anyone - is that I am not living with brown people , as I am brown. And also there is one guy in the house too so she has a problem there too.
I understand that she's not living there, but I would rather she be comfortable with my living situation
my mom is the same, i simply explained to her that she was placing brown guys on some sort of pedestal. They do the same type of partying, they drink excessively, skip classes etc. Play the guilt card, ask her if she behaves this way because she doesn't trust your judgement? Remind her that she has instilled proper values in you and you know right from wrong.

Last edited by healthsci1 : 03-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Keenu says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.

sniderj likes this.
Old 03-03-2010 at 03:21 PM   #9
Cassanova

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You clearly have never met a brown mother. They are a force to be reckoned with.
Yes they are! We had a similair issue. We convinced her that racism is not welcome.
Old 03-03-2010 at 04:01 PM   #10
Keenu

I've tried talking to her about this many times.. but the end of the matter is she is simply not comfortable with me living there... and I'm trying to find alternatives but am failing miserably
Old 03-03-2010 at 04:23 PM   #11
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

try placing an add on kijji.

Keenu says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 04:37 PM   #12
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Invite all the housemates over to your parents house for dinner, have them be respectful, talk about their future goals and how they are hard working and want to be successful, make sure they eat everything on their plate, make sure they ask for seconds, then make sure they do the dishes.

Oh yeah and make sure your grandma is there if possible, grandmothers love healthy eaters.

Unless we are talking about girls, I have no idea how to impress brown grandmothers as a girl, but I have done it many times as a boy. Just eat everything they give you. If the grandmothers like you, everyone will like you.

Problem solved.

(this will work on old people from any group: shut up, let them talk, and eat everything they give you)

Keenu says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 04:38 PM   #13
Rossclot

Liked: 137 Times

Oh yeah the other thing is you could just get brown friends to be there when your parents are there, then once your parents leave the non-brown people can come back.

Keenu says thanks to Rossclot for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 05:33 PM   #14
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Hey
So I recently signed a lease for a house for the coming fall term.. but now my mother is suddenly having problems with the people I'm living with... (she's very racist).. so I was wondering what I should do? I tried posting up adds for my room but no one has really replied or expressed interest - it's really a great house.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
fixed 6

Last edited by andrew22 : 03-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2010 at 05:44 PM   #15
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Generally, the only way to get out of a lease is to pay 4 month's worth of rent. If you can't do that, you have to tell your mom to suck it up. It may not sound like it, but she is being racist, and you shouldn't have to cater to that. Tell her that unless she pays to get you out of the lease, then you're going to be staying there and she's going to have to deal with it.