MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Question..

Old 03-03-2010 at 09:07 PM   #16
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
fixed 6
I don't get it

@Kathy - I don't think my mom is being racist, she actually really likes the people I'm living with in the sense that they are studious and non troublemakers. I think she's worried more in the cultural sense rather than the racial background. Go figure.
Thanks everyone for your help though, I will definitely try to have another conversation with her
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:23 PM   #17
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
It may not sound like it, but she is being racist, and you shouldn't have to cater to that.
The mother does not feel comfortable with her daughter's living condition....that does not make her a racist! There are plenty of justifiable reasons explaining why she wants her daughter to live with students with similar backgrounds.

I would suggest continuing to post up advertisements. Maybe someone will respond closer to the start of next year.

Good luck!

Last edited by rrtt : 03-03-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:28 PM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

So your mom's a racist?

I don't know if anyone here can help you with that.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:30 PM   #19
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
So your mom's a racist?

I don't know if anyone here can help you with that.
No, she is not. I think that has already been established...
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:30 PM   #20
Keenu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
The mother does not feel comfortable with her son’s living condition....that does not make her a racist! There are plenty of justifiable reasons explaining why she wants her son to live with students with similar backgrounds.

I would suggest continuing to post up advertisements. Maybe someone will respond closer to the start of next year.

Good luck!
Um...daughter
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:31 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
The mother does not feel comfortable with her son’s living condition....that does not make her a racist! There are plenty of justifiable reasons explaining why she wants her son to live with students with similar backgrounds.
I didn't realize there were justifications for racial discrimination. Care to share some with us?

Next time I want to discriminate against someone based on their race I'd like to know how to justify it.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:32 PM   #22
Keenu

Um no offense but i did not start this thread so everyone could call my mom a racist and bash on her - I just needed some solutions to my problem
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:33 PM   #23
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Um...daughter
Ah sorry! It's all fixed now
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:37 PM   #24
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Hey
So I recently signed a lease for a house for the coming fall term.. but now my mother is suddenly having problems with the people I'm living with... (she's very traditional).. so I was wondering what I should do? I tried posting up adds for my room but no one has really replied or expressed interest - it's really a great house.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I think her actions are fair. She is probably scared you are going to get introduced to a different lifestyle, values, etc. because you are living with people who don't share your background. Which is possible. I don't think she is being racist at all. I think I would want the same for my kids.

Keenu says thanks to jo87 for this post.

rrtt likes this.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:37 PM   #25
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

its a rather difficult ideology to understand from a "western" point of view. It has nothing to do with race, skin colour, its more of a cultural thing. Im assuming that keenu, is a female and that a male friend is living there. Any traditional brown mother wouldn't tolerate it. They have a tendency to assume the worst.

Keenu says thanks to healthsci1 for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:38 PM   #26
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Um no offense but i did not start this thread so everyone could call my mom a racist and bash on her - I just needed some solutions to my problem
Well your mom is being racist in my opinion and you've posted on an internet forum to solicit opinions.

I can see that you're in a hard situation b/c you respect your parent's opinion and they're paying for the rent but your mother is discriminating against people on the basis of their race which by definition is racism and shouldn't be tolerated.

The reason racism continues on into today's society is b/c people tolerate it and give justifications for it.

Either your mother is being racist or you haven't explained the situation properly. You yourself said it was b/c your roommates aren't brown.

Re: "Western" viewpoint, just b/c you're from a different background doesn't make it okay to discriminate.

Last edited by sew12 : 03-03-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:41 PM   #27
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
Well your mom is being racist in my opinion and you've posted on an internet forum to solicit opinions.

I can see that you're in a hard situation b/c you respect your parent's opinion and they're paying for the rent but your mother is discriminating against people on the basis of their race why by definition is racism and shouldn't be tolerated.

The reason racism continues on into today's society is b/c people tolerate it and give justifications for it.

Either your mother is being racist or you haven't explained the situation properly. You yourself said it was b/c your roommates aren't brown.
She is not discriminating against another race. Maybe you should reread Keenu's posts.

Nonetheless, the point of this thread is to help the OP find a way out of her lease. Let’s try to keep this thread relevant and on topic!

Keenu, lorend all say thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:49 PM   #28
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:

Re: "Western" viewpoint, just b/c you're from a different background doesn't make it okay to discriminate.
"Brown" was used loosely and so is the use of "race" as a consequence. From what has been said her mother's issue seems to stem more from cultural discordance. Not all brown people hold the same values and perspectives culturally.

Old 03-03-2010 at 09:51 PM   #29
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
She is not discriminating against another race. Maybe you should reread Keenu's posts.

Nonetheless, the point of this thread is to help the OP find a way out of her lease. Let’s try to keep this thread relevant and on topic!

She's discriminating against her daughter's roommates on the basis that they aren't brown, so yeah maybe she's discriminating against multiple other groups of people but nonetheless she's discriminating.

If she doesn't want her daughter to live with a male housemate I get that but what's wrong with the females other than the fact that they aren't brown?

Again either her mother is discriminating or she hasn't explained the situation well enough. From what she said her mother doesn't agree with her living with roommates who aren't of the same racial/cultural background as her, that's discriminatory. What makes your race/ethnic culture better than theirs? Why is it not okay for her to live with people from a different background?

There's no justification for this attitude. Maybe you agree with her mother's point of view but its not okay.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:52 PM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
"Brown" was used loosely and so is the use of "race" as a consequence. From what has been said her mother's issue seems to stem more from cultural discordance. Not all brown people hold the same values and perspectives culturally.
Yes that does seem to be more of the issue, but its also not okay to discriminate against people on the basis that their culture is different from yours. What makes their culture so superior that she cannot live in the same house with people from different backgrounds?