MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Question..

Old 03-03-2010 at 09:53 PM   #31
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

Keenu's mom isnt really being a racist. Its just that she might be worried that keenu would not be able to adjust to the culture of people shes living with, and she has to live with them for a whole year. Her mom prolly thinks that she will be able to do more cultural stuff with "brown" roomates than "white" roomates (which is most likely true). Not to mention, her mom might feel that Keenu might forget some of the cultural things.
As for Keenu, just tell ur mom that they are not party folks, and if she wants she can meet them personally if she wants to. Otherwise, if u want to get out of the contract then just look for someone else, who might be willing to take your spot. Remember she is still a mom and they tend to be over-protective, if anything she will get mad and eventually calm down after a while.

Keenu says thanks to ice8 for this post.

rrtt likes this.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:55 PM   #32
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

People wonder why there are still so many conflicts and wars in the world.
Old 03-03-2010 at 09:57 PM   #33
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

As MI Agent rrtt already stated, please keep the discussion on topic. Let me remind users again that this thread has nothing to do about the beliefs of the OP's mother. This is a thread about how to solve the problem about the OP's lease.

Any further comments about the above issue will be deleted.

Thanks,
Danielle
MacInsiders VP Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Hey
So I recently signed a lease for a house for the coming fall term.. but now my mother is suddenly having problems with the people I'm living with... (she's very traditional).. so I was wondering what I should do? I tried posting up adds for my room but no one has really replied or expressed interest - it's really a great house.
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
As mentioned, you have a few options, but I'll elaborate on some others I've thought of.
- Facebook marketplace
- MacInsiders marketplace
- talk to the people from the Off Campus Resource Centre, in the basement of MUSC
- Kijiji or Craigslist ad
- Word of mouth with other friends
- Create a Facebook group

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Keenu says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:00 PM   #34
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Note taken.
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:00 PM   #35
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i wouldn't say shes racist, perhaps somewhat ethnocentric, any who i have informed my peers regarding the vacant house, hopefully you hear from them
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:05 PM   #36
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Maybe I misread the original post then. If so, my mistake. When someone says "My mom has problems with the people I'm living with because they're not [of a certain race or ethnicity]" - and that's all my first post was based on - I do think that's racism. Maybe there's some confusion on here though. I might be misunderstanding something.

Last edited by Kathy2 : 03-03-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2010
Proxy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-03-2010
Rossclot
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:20 PM   #37
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
Just think about this, if in this thread it had said "My mom doesn't want me living with non-whites", would anyone have defended her not being racist?

We have spent such a long time tackling white people being racist, people have come to believe white people have the monopoly on racism. It being "part of your culture" doesn't mean it isn't racist. Look at homophobia for instance, there are several Islamic countries in the world that have a death penalty, or life in prison as the punishment for a homosexual act. There is a tendency to say it is part of the culture, but hate and ignorance are still illogical no matter what culture you are in.

I'll keep an ear out for anyone looking for a place, how much is the rent/how close to the school?
The house is 135 Royal Ave, around 7 minutes walk - $370/mnth + utilities
lawleypop
Old 03-03-2010
andrew22
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:25 PM   #38
Keenu

I would like to apologize for the misunderstandings my thread seems to have caused - my mom's just very traditional and its important to her that if or when i live away from home for the very first time, i should be in a place where the people i'm living with have similar values. She is not paying for the rent, I myself am but I still respect her wishes and therefore I posted this thread.
Old 03-03-2010 at 10:26 PM   #39
Keenu

Sorry, but I have respect for my parents, and even if she does something that pisses me off - my parenting has taught me to respect elders.
andrew22
Old 03-03-2010
lawleypop