MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Residence Admission Average? DMe3 Residence & Housing 1 06-14-2010 11:35 AM
McMaster nursing 2010 admission average?! If you have been accepted...please answer! memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-24-2010 03:25 PM
GPA calculation question. rant Academics 11 04-29-2010 11:28 PM
Reinstatement average calculation concerned Academics 1 12-23-2009 01:40 AM
Admission Cut Off Average Daisydawne18 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 40 04-11-2008 08:32 PM

question about calculation of admission average

Old 02-02-2011 at 08:57 PM   #1
FuglyV69

Liked: 0 Times

question about calculation of admission average
okay, so for mcmaster life science (or any other program for that matter.. i'm just using this as an example)

here's are the pre-requisites:
ENG4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U; SBI4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U.

and as you know, they use 6 highest marks to calculate the average.. but the pre-requisites must be in the calculation average.. but you see where it says ONE OF? let's say, for example, i got a 50% in SCH4U, but a 100% in MCV4U, they will only use the calculus grade in the admission average, and the next 5 highest marks since it's only ONE OF for the pre-requisite.. right?

tl;dr: if it's ONE OF, that means only ONE of that section has to be used in the calculation of the admission average?

let me make up some numbers.. could you please tell me what the average would be? or what courses would be involved in the calculation of the admission average?

SCH4U: 76%
SBI4U: 94%
SPH4U: 93%
ENG4U: 86%
ICS4UE: 93%
MCV4UE: 85%
MFH4UE: 98%
MDM4UE: 97%
IDC4UE: 95%

ugh.. what i'm really trying to ask is, is there any way so that my chemistry grade won't be included in the scholarship & admission average? i took it in grade 11, back when i was a retard / slacker hence the mark. if not, i'll just repeat it during night school, but i kind of need to know fast since semester 2 already started :/

Last edited by FuglyV69 : 02-02-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2011 at 09:02 PM   #2
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuglyV69 View Post
okay, so for mcmaster life science (or any other program for that matter.. i'm just using this as an example)

here's are the pre-requisites:
ENG4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U; SBI4U; one of MHF4U, MCV4U, SCH4U, SPH4U.

and as you know, they use 6 highest marks to calculate the average.. but the pre-requisites must be in the calculation average.. but you see where it says ONE OF? let's say, for example, i got a 50% in SCH4U, but a 100% in MCV4U, they will only use the calculus grade in the admission average, and the next 5 highest marks since it's only ONE OF for the pre-requisite.. right?

tl;dr: if it's ONE OF, that means only ONE of that section has to be used in the calculation of the admission average?

let me make up some numbers.. could you please tell me what the average would be? or what courses would be involved in the calculation of the admission average?

SCH4U: 76%
SBI4U: 94%
SPH4U: 93%
ENG4U: 86%
ICS4UE: 93%
MCV4UE: 85%
MFH4UE: 98%
MDM4UE: 97%
IDC4UE: 95%

ENG4U + MHF4U + SPH4U + SBI4U + MDM4U + IDC4U would be used in the calculation

so that averages out to 93.8%

and yes you are correct, when they say ONE OF it does mean only one of those will be used in the calculation..
Old 02-02-2011 at 09:02 PM   #3
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

You will get into life sci for sure. It also looks like you will also get the 90% entrance scholarship.
Old 02-02-2011 at 09:03 PM   #4
e1337

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
ugh.. what i'm really trying to ask is, is there any way so that my chemistry grade won't be included in the scholarship & admission average? i took it in grade 11, back when i was a retard / slacker hence the mark. if not, i'll just repeat it during night school, but i kind of need to know fast since semester 2 already started :/
It won't count your Chem mark.
Old 02-02-2011 at 10:38 PM   #5
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ooo dont hypthetically get that chem mark or else u'll need to take chem 1R03

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 02-02-2011 at 11:27 PM   #6
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post

i believe the condition is u need at least an 80 if u arent in a sci program
so the OP should be fine
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:31 AM   #7
FuglyV69

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
You will get into life sci for sure. It also looks like you will also get the 90% entrance scholarship.
for scholarships, is the same average used (as in are the same 6 courses used, or every course)? (the only difference being the 2nd sem marks are mid-term for admission and scholarship full term)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
wait, what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i believe the condition is u need at least an 80 if u arent in a sci program
so the OP should be fine
wait, what?

@everyone else: thank you!! just saved me from taking an extra course.. =d
Old 02-03-2011 at 06:46 AM   #8
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

The same 6 courses are used for the average when considering you for scholarships.

I don't know anything about those chem so I can't help you there.

Old 02-03-2011 at 08:09 AM   #9
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
for scholarships, is the same average used (as in are the same 6 courses used, or every course)? (the only difference being the 2nd sem marks are mid-term for admission and scholarship full term)

wait, what?

wait, what?

@everyone else: thank you!! just saved me from taking an extra course.. =d
don't worry, it doesnt matter what mark you get in chem (i say this with caution because university chem only gets harder, so do try hard, but don't worry about it admission wise). As long as you obtain the grade 12 chem credit, you are allowed to enroll in 1st year chem because you are in a science program.

Chem 1R03 is for people without grade 12 chem. You don't need to worry about that.
Old 02-05-2011 at 01:56 PM   #10
FuglyV69

also, what's mcmaster's policy on AP courses taken in high school? i don't know, but i'm starting to regret not taking any of my sciences AP (i wanted a high average for scholarship..)

Quote:
Applicants who have completed Advanced Placement Courses will be considered for admission to a Level I program. Applicants who have completed Advanced Placement Examinations in acceptable courses with a minimum grade of 4 may be recommended for up to 18 units of advanced credit, subject to the discretion of the Faculty. An official copy of the final Advanced Placement Examination Results Report from ETS is required as part of the evaluation process.
so could someone explain this to me? let's say i get >= 4 for the calculus ap exam.. do i get the credit for it for university or whatever (i'm asking because i realize every university is different).

also, if i'm going into health or life science in mcmaster, is there a point in taking the AP exam for computer science?

and lastly, you can only take the AP exam for courses you took AP, right? (so since i didn't take, for example, physics AP, i can't take the AP exam for physics?). anyone want to tell me the advantages / disadvantages of AP courses in high school?
Old 02-05-2011 at 02:04 PM   #11
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
also, what's mcmaster's policy on AP courses taken in high school? i don't know, but i'm starting to regret not taking any of my sciences AP (i wanted a high average for scholarship..)

so could someone explain this to me? let's say i get >= 4 for the calculus ap exam.. do i get the credit for it for university or whatever (i'm asking because i realize every university is different).

also, if i'm going into health or life science in mcmaster, is there a point in taking the AP exam for computer science?

and lastly, you can only take the AP exam for courses you took AP, right? (so since i didn't take, for example, physics AP, i can't take the AP exam for physics?). anyone want to tell me the advantages / disadvantages of AP courses in high school?
I can only really answer one of those questions-you can take an AP exam without the course. It`s just not a good idea imo. My high school didn`t have official AP classes, but my English class was geared towards prepping for AP English-without it I doubt I would have done very well on the actual exam because there is knowledge you are going to need. You could just use prep books though I suppose.

And if you`re interested in having AP for comp sci, go for it. It shouldn`t matter what program you`re going into. (I`m in Healthsci, but I took AP English) It`ll just count as an elective if you get the credit I would assume(I haven`t yet tried to get my credit lol). If not, you basically just got university level knowledge for a 5th or 6th of the cost of a university course, so that`s always good

Old 02-05-2011 at 02:28 PM   #12
FuglyV69

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I can only really answer one of those questions-you can take an AP exam without the course. It`s just not a good idea imo. My high school didn`t have official AP classes, but my English class was geared towards prepping for AP English-without it I doubt I would have done very well on the actual exam because there is knowledge you are going to need. You could just use prep books though I suppose.

And if you`re interested in having AP for comp sci, go for it. It shouldn`t matter what program you`re going into. (I`m in Healthsci, but I took AP English) It`ll just count as an elective if you get the credit I would assume(I haven`t yet tried to get my credit lol). If not, you basically just got university level knowledge for a 5th or 6th of the cost of a university course, so that`s always good
wow.. you can actually take the AP exam without the actual AP course, or is that for schools without the AP program?

wow........... are you serious. can someone please clarify?
Old 02-05-2011 at 02:34 PM   #13
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
wow.. you can actually take the AP exam without the actual AP course, or is that for schools without the AP program?

wow........... are you serious. can someone please clarify?
I took the AP exam without an official AP course. That might be the difference though-it wasn`t official`because, as far as I remember, my school was waiting for approval or something. We were taught everything we would need to know, but we also had to take the grade 12 curriculum at the same time. So yeah...not positive on whether that distinction matters.

To add to that, a few friends took AP chem and physics I believe and they learned from the books, and just had teachers supervising to give them help if they needed it. They also wrote the exams. These things were offered through my school, but again as far as I know, these weren`t official AP courses.

Might want to ask some sort of official though for better answers

Last edited by crazyfree : 02-05-2011 at 02:38 PM.