MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Question to fullsmash26/ Joey Coleman (Reporter, Macleans)

Old 02-07-2009 at 02:13 AM   #1
nogood205
McMaster Marching Band President

Liked: 4 Times

Question to fullsmash26/ Joey Coleman (Reporter, Macleans)
Hi Joey

I was wondering, have you ever considered running for a position on the MSU's Board of Directors? I feel as though you have a lot to say about the MSU and thus it seems you actually care what your student government is doing - perhaps you should run for the position of Vice President, Education?

Feel free to respond via PM, e-mail, or through MacInsiders, an MSU approved Club (since I noticed you used it so much to express your opinions and your thoughts)

Regards,

Neil
Old 02-07-2009 at 06:42 AM   #2
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Thanks for the question. Here's the honest answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogood205 View Post
Hi Joey

I was wondering, have you ever considered running for a position on the MSU's Board of Directors? I feel as though you have a lot to say about the MSU and thus it seems you actually care what your student government is doing - perhaps you should run for the position of Vice President, Education?

Feel free to respond via PM, e-mail, or through MacInsiders, an MSU approved Club (since I noticed you used it so much to express your opinions and your thoughts)

Regards,

Neil
I am no longer a MSU member. Due to the demands of my position with Maclean's OnCampus, I have switched all my courses this year to online education with my original university, the University of Manitoba.

I travel often and could not juggle a physical class schedule. The fall federal election was the primary reason that I decide to go online.

I've also been doing a lot of travelling beyond that.

I'm going to be out of the country in two weeks touring universities in Doha, United Arab Emirates. I travelled to Saskatoon in January for a week. I often spend my days in Toronto at Queen's Park and regularly travel to Ottawa to cover federal stories.

Other than my ineligibility at the present time, there are other reasons that rule out my asking the SRA for the appointment.

I would have to give up my position at Maclean's to take the position. While it would be a significant pay jump, I'm not prepared to permanently give up my journalist career for a position with the MSU. I'm one of Canada's leading young journalists and I have great opportunities ahead of me if I continue to work hard at my trade.

I've always spoke against student journalists jumping from their student press positions directing into a student union executive. It would be extremely hypocritical of me to do so myself.

I'm in the process of applying to be editor of The Manitoban. I've sworn to many friends at UManitoba that I'm very serious about wanting the position. My word is important to me. (For perspective, despite my strong journalistic resume, I'm considered a long shot for the position. The Manitoban has a very strong staff of editors who are very qualified for the position. I'm extremely unlikely to get the position.)

Lastly, I would never be appointed by the SRA.

Actually, that last point wouldn't stop me from showing up and "running." In 2006, a couple of SRA members who were fighting for reform asked me to "run" to prove how absurd the process was and to show that the appointment was not about merit but about connections on the SRA.

Everyone knew in advance who the VP Education was going to be.

I found a rough outline of the platform of ideas I presented to the SRA. It's a powerpoint. I know that all the ideas in it were presented, I just can't remember what I added to it and what stage of development this draft represents. Here's a PDF version: Coleman_VP_Ed_2006_Draft.pdf

Feel free to ask questions about the ideas. I be quite happy to see some of them used.

In 2006, I was not involved in journalist. Now that I'm a journalist, I believe it would be wrong for me to use the platform of the fourth-estate to jump into politics.
After this, a few members and I joined together to make a transit presentation to the SRA. Here's a PDF of the presentation. The ideas were rejected by the MSU. It's worth noting in 2005, prior to be declared an enemy of the MSU, I was brought on-board by the MSU president to work on the transit file. I was able to get the city to add two extra times out of McMaster at 21:38 and 21:52 to get students downtown. The idea of super-expresses in the morning and late-afternoon would go a long way to assisting the by-passing bus problem at peak times of the day.

The MSU was asked to make its position that the City should purchase at least 20 long articulated buses so that every bus serving McMaster would be able to take more students. The MSU rejected this position.

(Ironically, the VP who decided for the clique that the MSU would oppose the idea went around when running for president promising this.)

Had the MSU gone to City Hall asking for longer buses, there were enough votes on City Council in favour that we'd have these buses already. Imagine, McMaster students would not be watching buses drive past them.

Here's the presentation: HSR.pdf

I also made a presentation outlining the opportunity for McMaster students to get a UPass that would include GO Transit. Sadly, the opportunity is already long gone. Here's that presentation: GTTA.pdf

Old 02-07-2009 at 09:43 AM   #3
finklej
Vice President Education

Liked: 42 Times

You certainly have a lot to say about the MSU and SRA for someone who is no longer involved or even effected by either of the organisations.
Old 02-07-2009 at 10:21 AM   #4
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

Question about your ideas. Well not really about the ideas specifically, but just a question haha. I read in the 'Next MSU President is..." thread that you said that since Vish won, he wont stay true to his promises. Had you won VP Ed, would you have stayed true to your promises, such as staying up until 3am handing out coffee and snacks to students? If I have learned anything from you in your previous posts in the other thread, it is that you don't think that student politicians would ever hold their promises? what makes you any different?

I know you didn't get the position but if you had, could you honestly say that you would have done everything that you proposed?
Old 02-07-2009 at 11:33 AM   #5
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by finklej View Post
You certainly have a lot to say about the MSU and SRA for someone who is no longer involved or even effected by either of the organisations.

It definitely says a lot about our student body when one of the people most involved (on macinsiders at least) isn't even an MSU member. If even 30% of the student population took a similar active interest in anything that goes on, I think we'd come pretty damn close to the goals and ideals the MSU supposedly holds.
Old 02-07-2009 at 11:56 AM   #6
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

One is quick to point fingers, until they are pointed back. Joey Coleman, you use your title "journalist" quite whole-heartedly and I can't seem to figure out why. For someone so vividly intermingled with the McMaster community, I find it ironic that you seem to have nothing constructive to say about the Silhouette or provide any positive input into its distribution.

Do you value it as a lively source of information to the students? Or do we need more "journalists" like yourself?
Old 02-07-2009 at 12:09 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I don't know what your problem is but I think Joey provides an interesting perspective.

Clearly when we only see a 13% turn out for the Presidential election there's a problem and I don't see the issue with Joey bringing to light such issues.

Perhaps he's being overly critical but perhaps also that is what is needed to get people thinking. Not everyone should be as negative as Joey is but they should look at things with a critical eye and not just accept everything at face value.
Old 02-07-2009 at 12:14 PM   #8
Matt Wright

There were more posters, flyers and facebook groups than I've seen for almost any other cause on campus. If only 13% of people came to vote, then we obviously need to move towards an election based off of webct or any online polling site. Why don't you step up and start this committee?

My comments towards Joey are eminating from the comments from people such as yourself. You say that he brings to light the issues facing McMaster BUT PROVIDES NO VALID SOLUTION. So Stefanie, do you want to speerhead this online elections committee or should we wait around for another year so that the campaigns can get meticulously slandered again?
Old 02-07-2009 at 12:15 PM   #9
Phoenix

Some people don't vote because they are here to study first, deal with politics last? 13% isnt a bad turnout, there were alot of ballots that were cast. This isn't a federal election, its a student government, some people just don't care not because they hate the MSU....they just don't want to vote because they are here to study.
Old 02-07-2009 at 01:36 PM   #10
steps2health
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
There were more posters, flyers and facebook groups than I've seen for almost any other cause on campus. If only 13% of people came to vote, then we obviously need to move towards an election based off of webct or any online polling site. Why don't you step up and start this committee?

My comments towards Joey are eminating from the comments from people such as yourself. You say that he brings to light the issues facing McMaster BUT PROVIDES NO VALID SOLUTION. So Stefanie, do you want to speerhead this online elections committee or should we wait around for another year so that the campaigns can get meticulously slandered again?
LOL he's supposed to solve the problems too? sheesh.
I think we should start a committe where students also have to register ahead of time to vote. it would be fun to see how low it can get
Old 02-07-2009 at 04:08 PM   #11
Matt Wright

You are bringing down McMaster's standards with every idiotic post you write. The whole purpose of committee's is to improve conditions, and with individuals such as yourself impeding this process, it's no wonder people get discouraged from being actively involved with the school community. Positivity, that's all. Just stop being such a negative presence and maybe people will start respecting what you have to say.

igeorge25, kokosas, lorend all say thanks to Matt Wright for this post.
Old 02-07-2009 at 04:14 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
It definitely says a lot about our student body when one of the people most involved (on macinsiders at least) isn't even an MSU member. If even 30% of the student population took a similar active interest in anything that goes on, I think we'd come pretty damn close to the goals and ideals the MSU supposedly holds.
I find your comment very interesting.

3/4 executives on MacInsiders either work/volunteer for an MSU service or are on SRA.

Furthermore, a lot of the student body is involved -- just not in MSU politics. For example, there are approximately 1000 Welcome Week reps every year. Being involved in school life doesn't mean they have to be involved in school politics.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-07-2009 at 05:08 PM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

13% is a horrible turnout, just last year the turn out was 22% which is almost double.

As for online voting I would be curious to know how the voting process has to be changed? Does there need to be a referendum? Who is in charge of deciding how elections are run and ballots are cast?
Old 02-07-2009 at 05:13 PM   #14
Phoenix

talk to the CRO/DRO, they run the elections. Its not a horrible turnout by the way, maybe not as much as last year but if people didn't vote or at least do something this election, their fault
Old 02-07-2009 at 05:22 PM   #15
sew12
Elite Member

I totally agree that it's people's own fault that they didn't vote. All the resources are out there for them to research the platforms and make a decision, they just don't.

The only other option I feel could further reach out to people is the option to vote online.

While I don't think it's that hard to walk to a poll station and put a number in a circle I guess even that is to inconvenient for some.