MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind Mobile vs Koodo Mobile? Allan Computers & Tech 25 05-26-2013 10:13 AM
Comparison of different Internet providers WeRunTheCity Computers & Tech 7 08-22-2012 09:15 AM
Best/Cheapest Internet Service Providers in Hamilton? InsideMINDS Computers & Tech 27 09-07-2011 08:32 AM
internet service providers bowlerman13 Computers & Tech 31 10-30-2010 06:05 AM
Internet Service Providers Deegs14 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 35 08-31-2010 11:14 AM

Question about Mobile service providers

Old 08-22-2013 at 08:14 AM   #1
AlicJ

Liked: 2 Times

Question about Mobile service providers
Hello guys!
I have never used a cell phone in Canada, so I am wondering which service provider is cheap and relatively good in signal?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2013 at 08:35 AM   #2
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 461 Times

Look into WIND Mobile.
Buy a Nexus 4 outright if you need to get a phone asap.
Old 08-22-2013 at 10:23 AM   #3
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

yeah wind is pretty cheap but their reception is pretty bad compared to other companies

AlicJ says thanks to kitty1 for this post.
Old 08-22-2013 at 10:41 AM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Depends where you are actually. That is why I suggested the OP purchase the Nexus 4 outright so they can switch providers if WIND doesn't suit their needs.

AlicJ says thanks to anonanon987 for this post.
Old 08-22-2013 at 11:09 AM   #5
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

If you don't need data and only require voice, Chatr is the cheapest with the best signal. This is due to the fact that they are part of Rogers, thus they uses the same towers.

If you need small amount of data and voice, BUT require exceptional signal, then check out perhaps Fido or Koodoo. Fido is part of Rogers while Koodoo is part of Telus/Bell.

If you want large amount of data and voice, and live near the University or some sort of Main Street that isn't in the basement, then check out Wind. The rate for unlimited data and voice plan are great, but signals are hit and miss.

Use this coverage map to get a idea on how bad your signal might be.
http://www.coveragemapper.co m/windmap.php

Don't get the Nexus 4. The superior OS is iOS, you should be looking at a iPhone and only settle for a Android if you end up going to Wind or Chatr. I think a new Nexus 4 refresh or Nexus 5 is coming out soon too, so you might wanna hold off on buying a older Nexus 4.

Oh forgot to mentioned, Public Mobile is cheap and have good signal (better than Wind actually). The only thing is limited handset selection.

AlicJ says thanks to AvacadoLover for this post.
Old 08-22-2013 at 12:30 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
If you don't need data and only require voice, Chatr is the cheapest with the best signal. This is due to the fact that they are part of Rogers, thus they uses the same towers.

If you need small amount of data and voice, BUT require exceptional signal, then check out perhaps Fido or Koodoo. Fido is part of Rogers while Koodoo is part of Telus/Bell.

If you want large amount of data and voice, and live near the University or some sort of Main Street that isn't in the basement, then check out Wind. The rate for unlimited data and voice plan are great, but signals are hit and miss.

Don't get the Nexus 4. The superior OS is iOS, you should be looking at a iPhone and only settle for a Android if you end up going to Wind or Chatr. I think a new Nexus 4 refresh or Nexus 5 is coming out soon too, so you might wanna hold off on buying a older Nexus 4.

Oh forgot to mentioned, Public Mobile is cheap and have good signal (better than Wind actually). The only thing is limited handset selection.
Superiority in terms of OS is debatable. I really wished you left that out of your post.
Old 08-22-2013 at 12:33 PM   #7
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Koodo/Virgin/Fido.

I wouldnt go with WIND mobile if you haven't used a service here in Canada as it can get frustrating.
Old 08-22-2013 at 02:31 PM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:

Do you enjoy flame wars? Seriously. leave Android vs iPhone out of it. Its a pure preference at this point with it basically coming down to simplicity/better quality apps vs productivity/features. OP get what you want in terms of phones

Avoid wind. Their reception is so bad its disgusting. I was roaming 50% of the time with them and got zero reception in my room. Primary carriers in canada are Rogers, Bell, and Telus (sometimes hatefully called ROBELLUS or the "big 3"). The budget carriers are fido, koodo and chatr and are all owned by one of the big 3.

In general Canada has pretty expensive mobile service. This is due to Canadian federal regulations which protect these carriers against Startup carriers getting investment from non-canadian companies (this is changing a lot though). The biggest example of this is Data which is pretty much the most expensive of all developed countries. The only exception to this is the new carriers (Wind, Mobilicity, Public) and ROBELLUS retention plans (must be on contract for 2 years).

If you have an unlocked phone with AWS capability id recommend trying Wind first. Other than that try looking into various Big 3 plans. Good luck though. Also if you want to negotiate do it over the phone. In store people have zero power

AlicJ says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 08-22-2013 at 02:55 PM   #9
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

I'm just trying to look out for a fellow student.

It would be horrible to be stuck with a eco system like Android that isn't refine as iOS. Protection, security, ease of use, and elegancy is the key features of the fantastic iOS.

There is a reason why iPhones always sell out whenever a new version is launch. I understand why certain individuals would bash Apple (it basically have to due with conformity theory if you want to look it up) - really though, they are still conforming by not comforming.

Anyhow, the main topic isn't about the OS, I just thought I put it out there to protect naive users from picking the wrong product, especially when smartphones nowaday cost so much.

Back to cellular providers, if you decide to choose one of the big three (Rogers, Bell, or Telus), you can bargain by relying on the refund period.

Basically, you purchase the phone and contract and not used up the minutes or the days allotted for the refund. Call in and tell them that you change your mind because another company offered you a better deal. They will definitely match it since they know the refund period still apply and you can walk away freely from the contract.

Where will you be living AlicJ? If you are near the University, Wind have good reception and their Back-To-School plan started.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/08/07/wi...ol-promo-plan/
Old 08-22-2013 at 04:13 PM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Rogers is most expensive but most reliable
Wind gives best bang for buck

I use fido cause as a new customer it gave me the lowest cost for what i wanted.

It also heavily depends on your usage, data, etc. Tell us what you will use
Old 08-22-2013 at 08:29 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:

It would be horrible to be stuck with a eco system like Android that isn't refine as iOS. Protection, security, ease of use, and elegancy is the key features of the fantastic iOS.

There is a reason why iPhones always sell out whenever a new version is launch. I understand why certain individuals would bash Apple (it basically have to due with conformity theory if you want to look it up) - really though, they are still conforming by not comforming.

Anyhow, the main topic isn't about the OS, I just thought I put it out there to protect naive users from picking the wrong product, especially when smartphones nowaday cost so much.

Back to cellular providers, if you decide to choose one of the big three (Rogers, Bell, or Telus), you can bargain by relying on the refund period.

Basically, you purchase the phone and contract and not used up the minutes or the days allotted for the refund. Call in and tell them that you change your mind because another company offered you a better deal. They will definitely match it since they know the refund period still apply and you can walk away freely from the contract.

Where will you be living AlicJ? If you are near the University, Wind have good reception and their Back-To-School plan started.

Can you stop? These are your opinions. Keep them out of this discussion. This is about cell phone providers. No one asked about which OS is better. If you wanted to suggest the iPhone, you simply could've done that instead of trying to prove that Android is inferior. Highly unneeded.
Old 08-22-2013 at 09:02 PM   #12
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Protection, security, ease of use, and elegancy is the key features of the fantastic iOS.
Sneaking in here to say that sounds more like BB10 than the antiquated iOS.

And now the flaming is redirected to me. Sorry, I just had to.

On topic, I would like to suggest Wind, as I recently switched to them in March myself and they're definitely superior from a cost point of view, but there are some signal problems in different areas around campus. I had some dead zones (basement of ITB) when I was on Koodo, but Wind is worse, if only enough to be noticeable.
Old 08-22-2013 at 09:48 PM   #13
AlicJ

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:

Thank you very much for you help. I do not think I could buy a new phone, especially iphone since they are pretty expensive. Although I know that iOS feels better than Android.
btw, I will live on-campus for the first year.

Also many thanks to the other guys who helped me in the thread.

AvacadoLover says thanks to AlicJ for this post.

AvacadoLover likes this.
Old 08-25-2013 at 05:55 PM   #14
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Iphone 5 works on wind, but you have to make sure your phone is on that frequency. Personally, I think Iphone has better reception that lower tiered Androids. But if you go all out, S4 and Iphone5 comes to preference.

Wind is the best if you will stick within the area, however, if you like to go into the woods to take a shit, then I think it is best that you go with reliable network. In fact, since you are from another country, it can get dangerous if you get into pockets of areas without network, I advise you get the Big 3 just because of that.

the big 3 startups (public, wind, mobilicity) all are great if you know how to utilize them, but you better play safe

Cheers!
Old 08-25-2013 at 07:11 PM   #15
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlicJ View Post
Thank you very much for you help. I do not think I could buy a new phone, especially iphone since they are pretty expensive. Although I know that iOS feels better than Android.
btw, I will live on-campus for the first year.

Also many thanks to the other guys who helped me in the thread.
I.. I... Like you a lot!

If you are on campus, then Wind will/should work excellent. They have a cell tower at the Student Centre even!

Some buildings, unfortunately, will give you problem. MDCL and basements for example. If you already have a phone, then you have to make sure it is using the same frequency as Wind.

What type of phone do you have right now that you will be using?