MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
civil engineering chenier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 19 10-25-2012 11:21 PM
best civil engineering programs chenier First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-25-2012 08:29 AM
Civil engineering streams jawwadmq Academics 3 08-14-2011 06:04 PM
Engineering Level 2: Civil OSid First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-18-2011 07:00 PM

Question regarding career in civil engineering

Old 04-27-2013 at 08:41 PM   #1
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

Question regarding career in civil engineering
Hi, I'm just in a big dilemma about what i want to do with my life and i just wish you guys could give me some insight on it.
I have been wondering about career in civil engineering but it's kind of hard to know what it would be like only through researching online or by observing

The reason why i want to actually go into civil engineering is because of career prospect and it seems like quite demanding and stable job. But the issue of course im asking myself is am i good enough for it? or even would i even like it? because the thing is i don't seem like engineering type at all since i don't really enjoy tinkering, enjoy solving puzzle, and have that innovative nature.
But the thing is civil in particular seems bit less engineering like because rather than creating something, it seems it's more of analyzing, checking, and calculating.

And also i've seen a civil engineer on the field and it seems like majority of his job is checking through orders, workers' safety, and progress and such. Since this type of job isnt much of actually getting through mechanical parts or chemical processes to engineer a product, i feel like i could be able to handle this type of position (i know there's more technical side of civil engineering, but it seems like there's also some non-technical side of it) I'm not sure at all though, because obviously, since i haven't experienced myself, so that's why im asking about you guys' information.

Sorry for the long write up
Old 04-27-2013 at 08:49 PM   #2
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Here's my question to you though: What have you heard from upper year students? What have you learned from extra-curriculars? You've had a whole 8 months here now: What did you take away from the opportunities in your spare time? That's how many people end up choosing their stream.
See above.

Sorry for the negativity, but EVERYTHING is wrong about your rationalization.

1. You are basing your decision off the job market rather than what you like.

2. You explain NO relevant experience, which is what the quote above is aiming to get at.

3. The assumptions of what civil engineering is are... Well, I don't know where they come from?
Old 04-27-2013 at 09:20 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Your post history doesn't suggest you're an engineering student. Iz diz true?

Anyways, your question seems to break down to: can I get away with being an engineer without doing the engineery things? ... um... no.

You need to at least vaguely have interest in tinkering/problem solving or the like. What you talk about sounds like being a site foreman, which, while managerial in nature, requires an engineering background and knowhow. I'm not really sure what lead you to believe what you believe though.

There are more logistics, management, and less technical and project planning based roles in an engineering project, but they're not really 'engineer' in nature.

starfish likes this.
Old 04-27-2013 at 09:29 PM   #4
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

When looking at what kind of engineering you want to, look at more of the stuff that you are interested, not necessarily the type of work. I know it sounds lame, but I always loved playing with lego, and I always had an interest in demography, city layouts and tall buildings, so civil seemed like the most obvious choice. From there, there are office jobs like designing where you do more of the technical aspect, or field work like inspecting and testing different stuff which is something I more want to do.

Think of the stuff you are most interested in, and try to choose the stream you like most. Like if you like programming or materials, choose one of those, and the type of position you get will likely sort itself out.
Old 04-27-2013 at 09:48 PM   #5
jake0405

well yes of course i have no idea what actually goes behind. im just basing it on my little research from limited resources like internet. So that's why, like i said, im ASKING from people who actually have some experience.
And since you've asked im a science major so that's why im clueless about this. And just want to get inside view of what civil engineering is all about.
I just wanted to know if engineering was something if you put in time and effort into it, you'll become proficient at that sort of thing or if it's something that you need some inherent nature for engineering.
The thing is my dad graduated out of electrical engineering, even though he didn't really enjoy, it paid well and he made good living out of it. So that's why i feel like you might be able to handle through it even though you are not really good or have that much interest in it. But of course since i have absolutely no interest in electrical engineering, and since my dad is not a civil engineer (and has been off of engineering for long since he moved into more of managerial role), i just wanted to advice from who've taken civil engineering
Old 04-28-2013 at 07:26 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
well yes of course i have no idea what actually goes behind. im just basing it on my little research from limited resources like internet. So that's why, like i said, im ASKING from people who actually have some experience.
And since you've asked im a science major so that's why im clueless about this. And just want to get inside view of what civil engineering is all about.
I just wanted to know if engineering was something if you put in time and effort into it, you'll become proficient at that sort of thing or if it's something that you need some inherent nature for engineering.
The thing is my dad graduated out of electrical engineering, even though he didn't really enjoy, it paid well and he made good living out of it. So that's why i feel like you might be able to handle through it even though you are not really good or have that much interest in it. But of course since i have absolutely no interest in electrical engineering, and since my dad is not a civil engineer (and has been off of engineering for long since he moved into more of managerial role), i just wanted to advice from who've taken civil engineering
If this is a question really important to you, try asking around with companies in your area (i dont know where you are) and see if you can interview a civil engineer or even shadow one

But when it comes to approaching engineering... I wasn't interested in engineering at all nor thought I had an aptitude for the stuff that I eventually studied. I actually didn't intend to go into engineering when I came to McMaster; I applied to physical sciences, life sciences, and engineering (in that order). It really grows on you. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm liking what I'm doing.
Old 04-28-2013 at 10:36 AM   #7
jake0405

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
If this is a question really important to you, try asking around with companies in your area (i dont know where you are) and see if you can interview a civil engineer or even shadow one

But when it comes to approaching engineering... I wasn't interested in engineering at all nor thought I had an aptitude for the stuff that I eventually studied. I actually didn't intend to go into engineering when I came to McMaster; I applied to physical sciences, life sciences, and engineering (in that order). It really grows on you. I still don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm liking what I'm doing.
I'm just wondering, why did you go about switching into engineering then?
Old 04-28-2013 at 10:49 AM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
I'm just wondering, why did you go about switching into engineering then?
It was the one they sent me acceptance to. Apparently I'm not good enough to be in life sci, or maybe they looked at my marks and placed me where I would be happiest?
Old 04-28-2013 at 11:19 AM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I think what you need to do is sit down and ask yourself "What do I like doing?"

Find potential programs that fit to that. A disinterested engineer at the end of the day isn't very marketable, especially in civil where not caring is a serious risk to the lives of others.