MacInsiders Logo

Questions about Commerce 2QA3

Old 09-08-2013 at 05:28 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Questions about Commerce 2QA3
I'm taking Commerce 2QA3 (Stats) this term and want to hear people's thoughts on the course.

How well did you do it the course?
Did you find it hard?
What strategy would you suggest for this course
- Do I even need to read the textbook if I do all the questions?
What did you think of Prof Baki (if you had her)?
Old 09-08-2013 at 05:41 PM   #2
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

I took the course in the summer and I didn't find the course too hard (I ended up with a 10). To study, I read the textbook, did the in-class problems, and did the suggested textbook problems/past tests. The PowerPoint slides do not thoroughly explain concepts, so I would strongly recommend buying the textbook. I had Prof. Baki and she was great. She gave good examples in class and was very helpful during her office hours.

Commie42 says thanks to Brendan for this post.
Old 09-08-2013 at 05:59 PM   #3
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Like Brendan, I also took the course over the summer, and Prof. Baki was teaching. I love her as a prof! she is very helpful and her lectures are useful. The course overall was not difficult, I ended with a 11 (and no im not a "math person"). I read the textbook after the lectures which helped my understanding of the concepts and I did all the assigned problems.
All the best!

Commie42 says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 09-08-2013 at 06:06 PM   #4
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

I also took COMMERCE 2QA3 with Baki last year and it was a straightforward course. You definitely need the buy the textbook as it will helpful you practice solving problems. Assignments online will be helpful (even though its optional) to bump your mark, as my friends who took the online assignment definitely help them solve some hard questions in the exam. Otherwise if you don't, just practice and you will ended up with a good mark!

Commie42 says thanks to keiser=) for this post.
Old 09-08-2013 at 09:38 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

bro this course is easy. just do the assignments. the only reading you'll really have to do is the last bit with the messed up distributions and Chi table

Commie42 says thanks to ZSimon for this post.
Old 09-17-2013 at 11:49 AM   #6
Commie42
Elite Member

Is it essential to go to class? I've been to the first 5 classes and find I am not getting anything out of it. This professor's teaching style just doesn't work for me. Starting to feel like reading the lecture slides on my own will teach me better.
Old 09-17-2013 at 12:11 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
Is it essential to go to class? I've been to the first 5 classes and find I am not getting anything out of it. This professor's teaching style just doesn't work for me. Starting to feel like reading the lecture slides on my own will teach me better.
obv if you at all struggle. go. if you don't its up to you. you've paid x dollars per lecture. so its really up to you.
Old 09-17-2013 at 02:25 PM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

I think I'm struggling more from going to the classes when I could instead dedicate that time to learning myself. That's why the idea came to mind. It's unfortunate that I've paid so much money to have a professor that has very poor presentation skills.
Old 09-17-2013 at 03:07 PM   #9
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

get used to it, life gives no fucks

that said, the class barely even needs a teacher its so straightforward, and 1/2 is a re-hash of grade 12 "data"
Old 09-17-2013 at 05:23 PM   #10
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
I think I'm struggling more from going to the classes when I could instead dedicate that time to learning myself. That's why the idea came to mind. It's unfortunate that I've paid so much money to have a professor that has very poor presentation skills.
in my opinion it's better if you go to class if you are struggling with the course. you will be able to see examples that she will work through and this is your time to clear up anything which you don't understand.
all the best
Old 09-17-2013 at 06:31 PM   #11
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomchock View Post
get used to it, life gives no fucks

that said, the class barely even needs a teacher its so straightforward, and 1/2 is a re-hash of grade 12 "data"
The course was changed from last year. They added a 15 page research report and removed the first two weeks of high school review :(