MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone from Mississauga or Brampton going to Welcome Day? MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-06-2010 07:45 PM

Racist Girl from Brampton

Old 04-19-2012 at 07:32 PM   #31
robots

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Being racist is not something you choose.
Umm yes it it. Why would you place the onus of ignorance onto anyone other than the racist person? People choose to hate others. If one cannot humanize a person of colour that is 100% their fault.
Old 04-19-2012 at 07:33 PM   #32
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Lol? Looking back 5-6 years, I'd say I was ignorant when I was 16. Not really her fault. She IS still a kid.
hmmm i think by 16 you should understand different races and that ignorance attitude regarding them should be gone by then. maybe even earlier.
Old 04-19-2012 at 07:42 PM   #33
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
hmmm i think by 16 you should understand different races and that ignorance attitude regarding them should be gone by then. maybe even earlier.
It will come.
Old 04-19-2012 at 07:52 PM   #34
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

"go back to your country" ... when white people say that, don't they realize that they come from europe?

Eternal Fire, jim1, L'Étoile all say thanks to sinthusized for this post.

Old 04-19-2012 at 09:04 PM   #35
YungJoc

Liked: 7 Times

i just kept gasping the whole time. how can people still think like this??

apples12 likes this.
Old 04-19-2012 at 09:33 PM   #36
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Ironically, during the entire video I kept on thinking about this image:

drpatel, MirandaC like this.
Old 04-19-2012 at 09:39 PM   #37
escape

Liked: 38 Times

^ LOL
That's so wrong.
Old 04-19-2012 at 09:54 PM   #38
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois View Post
Ironically, during the entire video I kept on thinking about this image:
...The heck is that from?
Old 04-19-2012 at 11:10 PM   #39
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
"go back to your country" ... when white people say that, don't they realize that they come from europe?
Kinda bugs me when people say this and assume everyone is an immigrant/from somewhere else (elementary school annoyances, lol, long story) and use that for arguments. It's a null statement.

If someone was born in country X, country X is their country, regardless of whether they can trace their ancestry to an indigenous group or not. This whole notion of "well your ancestors were from somewhere else so its not your country either" is just as bad as "your skin is this colour so this is not your country." Your blaming people for things they cannot control.

Singling out "white people" bugs me too.
Old 04-19-2012 at 11:23 PM   #40
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Kinda bugs me when people say this and assume everyone is an immigrant/from somewhere else (elementary school annoyances, lol, long story) and use that for arguments. It's a null statement.

If someone was born in country X, country X is their country, regardless of whether they can trace their ancestry to an indigenous group or not. This whole notion of "well your ancestors were from somewhere else so its not your country either" is just as bad as "your skin is this colour so this is not your country." Your blaming people for things they cannot control.

Umm... yeah, you're basically agreeing with me. I am criticizing people who say go back to your country because everyone belongs here and it is hypocritical for Whites to use country of origin to discriminate. [no trolling or flame-bait -ed.] I pointed out that it is often white people who say "go back to your country".

[Remain inclusive of all peoples, do not single out "whites" -ed.]

And I love how you didn't display any offense to the white person in the video who said "go back to your country" to brown people but you are offended when I challenged White people's claim to this country... jeeze

Last edited by Grover : 04-20-2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Double post. Conduct rules #6, 10

L'Étoile, robots like this.
Old 04-19-2012 at 11:54 PM   #41
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

I gotta say something about "choosing to be racist". I think that's a very superficial treatment of how humans develop beliefs. Their thoughts that stemmed from their experiences, what they were told or taught, what cognitive distortions they've had going on, what other beliefs they have etc. It's not easy to change beliefs (even if the person recognizes that they don't like their beliefs) If it were then there would be no need for things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Personally I've noticed though that the way that racial prejudice is treated currently does a better job at suppressing expression of prejudiced beliefs than actually changing the actual beliefs.

Old 04-20-2012 at 12:00 AM   #42
MSaleh

Liked: 8 Times

Oh man.

Now that I'm graduating, looking back at all the stuff I learned from sociology and psychology classes, neuroscience etc, it's so easy to just shake my head at the responses to videos like the one the girl made, as opposed to being annoyed at her.

The way people reply, they make things seem so easy, and so controllable.

Not supporting her of course.

drpatel likes this.
Old 04-20-2012 at 01:26 AM   #43
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post

And she is singling out first generation brown kids. [no bashing/defamation -ed.]

Last edited by Grover : 04-20-2012 at 06:38 AM. Reason: ed.: Conduct rule #5

apples12, robots like this.
Old 04-20-2012 at 01:43 AM   #44
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
And she is singling out first generation brown kids.
Yup, I agree with you. Notice how the user previously thought this thread would be entertaining? The user then [respect one another -ed.] declared my comment about the hypocrisy of white people who say 'go back to your country' a "null statement". [no condescending messages -ed.]

Last edited by Grover : 04-20-2012 at 06:34 AM. Reason: ed.: Conduct rules #2, 5

L'Étoile, robots, tyrant like this.
Old 04-20-2012 at 02:26 AM   #45
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 255 Times

NOTICE: I've edited a number of posts to ensure inclusive, respectful (e.g., please avoid calling others "racist" without warrant) discussion that doesn't steer away from the topic at hand, which is not the subject of racism as a whole.

Please remember to adhere to the MacInsiders Code of Conduct. Failure to do so could result in warnings or infractions at the moderators' discretion, or a locking of the thread.

Last edited by Grover : 04-20-2012 at 02:52 AM.

ZSimon likes this.