MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone from Mississauga or Brampton going to Welcome Day? MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-06-2010 07:45 PM

Racist Girl from Brampton

Old 04-20-2012 at 03:11 AM   #46
R633

Liked: 24 Times

Unfortunately, the girl in this video is just saying what many people are probably thinking. It's dissapointing to see how people can be so blinded by their ignorance.
Old 04-20-2012
Reda
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-20-2012 at 04:39 AM   #47
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Not necessarily directed at anyone, but we should remember that this isn't a white vs non-white argument. All races experience racism, and we are all equally capable of it.

I personally get upset when people are racist, but my anger is only directed at those who are practicing it, and not at whatever group they might represent.

Grover says thanks to Eternal Fire for this post.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 04-20-2012 at 05:01 AM   #48
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
Yknow, it's not a problem that she's racist. It's a problem that she couldn't keep her mouth shut.
Interesting that you say that. I wonder how many students or people keep their mouth shut and feel this way from inside. I shouldn't guess, but I get a feeling that there are quite a few. I have my reasons:

It may just be with me, but for some reason I have faced racist people/comments quite a bit over the last one and a half year. For the first one and a half years or so, a couple of white guys were really good friends of mine, or so I thought. And then a third one came along. One who was a racist out right. Made comments such as "Go back to your own country", "Why doesn't your girlfriend wear a paki dot?", "Why don't you have a towel wrapped around your head, like your dad?". Initially I ignored such comments from him as I thought it was pointless to argue with someone so ignorant about different cultures, etc etc. Much to my disappointment, a few weeks later, I started getting more racist comments from the other two friends of mine too. And then their girlfriends. I don't know how worse it would have gotten if I decided to stay friends with them (if at all humanly possible).

But yeah this is sad because this is where I differentiated Canada from the States where such things happen on a day to day basis (I have lived in the States for 2 years). I was sure, I wouldn't have to face this crap once I was here.

And doesn't every race have defaulters? Wasn't Hitler "White"? Isn't George Bush "White"? Should other races consider the "Whites" as nazis? I'm assuming your answer is a "No". Similarly, I request to those who still feel brown people are terrorists, to accept that not all of us are terrorists and considering the size of our population, I don't think there would be more than 0.00001% terrorists. We are nice people who love peace just as much as you do.

Canada has always been a diverse country. That's where lies its greatness. Hopefully we can protect this diversity and prevent a great nation from falling apart.

Old 04-20-2012 at 07:54 AM   #49
macoutsider

Liked: 0 Times

She don't like Brampton, so move. We know it's called Bramladesh for a reason.

http://www.urbandictionary.c om/def...m=Braml adesh
Old 04-20-2012 at 07:59 AM   #50
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
This thread is gonna be fun.
yo good call.
Old 04-20-2012 at 10:26 AM   #51
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times

skip to 3:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tacvR...yer_embedde d
Old 04-20-2012 at 10:44 AM   #52
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
NOTICE: I've edited a number of posts to ensure inclusive, respectful (e.g., please avoid calling others "racist" without warrant) discussion that doesn't steer away from the topic at hand, which is not the subject of racism as a whole.

Please remember to adhere to the MacInsiders Code of Conduct. Failure to do so could result in warnings or infractions at the moderators' discretion, or a locking of the thread.

Chad, seriously, I am not impressed. White people is a real political, social and economic category and by pretending you don't see race, you blind yourself to the impact of racism. I mean, people are fine with saying BROWN people but as soon as i say WHITE people, it gets edited out?.. way to practice white normativity/supremacy... A white person saying that a thread about the racism experienced by brown people is going to be "fun" (dehumanizing much?) is perfectly fine but as soon as I call the white person out on their racism, this thread is gonna be locked down? I hope you realize the ignorance of your actions. And I am not calling anyone racist... I am criticizing what people are saying as racist. Please do not edit my comments unless I actually violate the code- you perverted the entire meaning of what I previously said and I am not violating the code.

Last edited by sinthusized : 04-20-2012 at 11:17 AM.

escape, FaizaS, jamescw1234, robots all say thanks to sinthusized for this post.

Old 04-20-2012 at 02:01 PM   #53
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I gotta say something about "choosing to be racist". I think that's a very superficial treatment of how humans develop beliefs. Their thoughts that stemmed from their experiences, what they were told or taught, what cognitive distortions they've had going on, what other beliefs they have etc. It's not easy to change beliefs (even if the person recognizes that they don't like their beliefs) If it were then there would be no need for things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

Personally I've noticed though that the way that racial prejudice is treated currently does a better job at suppressing expression of prejudiced beliefs than actually changing the actual beliefs.
Many times people are implicitly racist but not explicitly so.
I agree that changing how we behave in public is much more easier to do than changing what we believe on the inside. Even if a person really wants to change their implicit beliefs, it would be very hard to do so.

Here are a couple Implicit Association Tests https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/ There's one for race as well.
They measure a person's unconscious biases. I was kinda surprised with my results.
Old 04-20-2012 at 02:34 PM   #54
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Aside from the racism, as I know all so well because i am Eddie Murphy, she brings up some good points. This is CANADA! We're all immigrants, but because we have good social assistance programs people from all around the world want to come here. The government shouldn't let as many people in as they have been in the past few decades. Not all, but alot of people come here and abuse the system. And 9/11 was an inside job, osama was a scapegoat. theres no terrorism going on here. lol
Old 04-20-2012 at 02:50 PM   #55
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
Aside from the racism, as I know all so well because i am Eddie Murphy, she brings up some good points. This is CANADA! We're all immigrants, but because we have good social assistance programs people from all around the world want to come here. The government shouldn't let as many people in as they have been in the past few decades. Not all, but alot of people come here and abuse the system. And 9/11 was an inside job, osama was a scapegoat. theres no terrorism going on here. lol
that may be true, but it has nothing to do with the girl who was simply hating based on skin color and stereotypes.
Old 04-20-2012 at 03:24 PM   #56
sinnersdrown

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
If Canada starts deciding how many people they can let in, it might become a selective thing and could lead to more problems for the country.
Old 04-20-2012 at 04:05 PM   #57
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Aside from the racism, as I know all so well because i am Eddie Murphy, she brings up some good points.
She's making good points now? What she is saying barely makes any sense, complaining about turbans and curry.

Quote:
This is CANADA! We're all immigrants, but because we have good social assistance programs people from all around the world want to come here. The government shouldn't let as many people in as they have been in the past few decades. Not all, but alot of people come here and abuse the system. And 9/11 was an inside job, osama was a scapegoat. theres no terrorism going on here. lol
Canada has an aging population and a very low fertility rate, so immigration is here to stay. If the government didn't need more people they would have a very different policy.

jim1 likes this.
Old 04-20-2012
eddiemurphy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-20-2012 at 04:10 PM   #58
Rudiger

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnersdrown View Post
If Canada starts deciding how many people they can let in, it might become a selective thing and could lead to more problems for the country.
Canada does decide how many people they let in, and they are relatively selective.

apples12 likes this.