MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: How can I raise my GPA to a 4.0 (or as close as possible)?
Overachiever. 8 16.00%
No such thing as an overachiever! Just keep trying - you'll get there. 10 20.00%
Less posting on Macinsiders and more studying! 4 8.00%
Who cares? 5 10.00%
I understand your situation. 1 2.00%
Work, work, relax, work, work, work! 13 26.00%
Wish my GPA was a 4.0... 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Raising GPA???

Old 01-05-2012 at 03:52 PM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Raising GPA???
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has tips for raising my GPA/grades in classes. In the classes (mostly science-based) of interest, I have a GPA of 3.7-3.9, and ideally I'd like to bring it up to 4.0 (for grad/professional school application purposes). Does anyone have any suggestions (besides the usual ones of learning how you study, attending classes, taking notes - I do all of that already!)?
Thanks for understanding! Please reply especially if you have been in a similar situation and managed to earn those few extra points.
Old 01-05-2012 at 03:57 PM   #2
Ardougne

Liked: 20 Times

talk to professors
Old 01-05-2012 at 04:06 PM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardougne View Post
talk to professors
This guy has a point. If you already have a 3.7 to 3.9, then your study habits are likely fine. Try talking to your professors and explaining your situation about graduate studies. They may be lenient enough to bump you to a 12 from an 11 if you're already almost on the edge, or perhaps can give you an extra assignment to justify the grade increase.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be too worried with those grades - those are really good already. If anything, you might want to work on extracurriculars and volunteering at this point to push you ahead of everyone else.
Old 01-05-2012 at 04:42 PM   #4
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

When you are this close to the 4.0 and really want, consider doing more than what the course asks you to do. Take the next step in your studies that the course doesnt necessarily need you to go into. Also start paying attention to even the most minute details. Actively reflect on where you can gain/lose marks. And get as much feedback on everything you do.
Old 01-05-2012 at 04:59 PM   #5
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Liked: 2 Times

Everyone getting mad I am correct. Damn.

Last edited by NahLeoNah : 01-05-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:08 PM   #6
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahLeoNah View Post
The .3 to .1 you're missing is due to intelligence. You are not intelligent enough to acquire the residual points necessitated for a 4.0.

People can post otherwise, but that's a fact. You can study more, kiss the professors ass, but at the end of the day, you are not intelligent enough to have a 4.0.

I don't give a f.uck what anyone says, there is a certain degree of intelligence required for a perfect GPA. You can't get a retard to study all day and hope he will get a 4.0.

Think for a second, how the f.uck can someone get a 12 average in the Mech. E. program? Obviously, study habits are requisite for this merit, however, A FUC.K TON OF INTELLIGENCE IS REQUIRED, TOO. I am talking about the guy who is on provost every year in mech. e. (look him up).

Cliffs:
you're not intelligent enough to get a 4.0, deal with it.
Where do you find that document anyway? The one with all the people who got scholarships/provost/etc
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:11 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
The .3 to .1 you're missing is due to intelligence. You are not intelligent enough to acquire the residual points necessitated for a 4.0.

People can post otherwise, but that's a fact. You can study more, kiss the professors ass, but at the end of the day, you are not intelligent enough to have a 4.0.

I don't give a f.uck what anyone says, there is a certain degree of intelligence required for a perfect GPA. You can't get a retard to study all day and hope he will get a 4.0.

Think for a second, how the f.uck can someone get a 12 average in the Mech. E. program? Obviously, study habits are requisite for this merit, however, A FUC.K TON OF INTELLIGENCE IS REQUIRED, TOO. I am talking about the guy who is on provost every year in mech. e. (look him up).

Cliffs:
I think someone needs a hug.

Old 01-05-2012 at 05:11 PM   #8
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

You're probably only in first year and if that's true your GPA is great and you can easily bring it up to a 4.0 in the next 3 yrs. Like others have said, try talking to your profs about the grade increase but if you're only in your first year they would be unlikely to give you that bump up. Also, it is more likely to work for courses where you were close to getting the next higher grade by a difference of 1% or less. I got unfortunate with a similar situation this term and the prof didn't even give a .5% increase. So I had to suck it up and accept that that's the grade I earned, so I'll try harder/better luck next time. Nothing EVER is the end of the world. Dw.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:24 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

When you are this close to the 4.0 and really want, consider doing more than what the course asks you to do. Take the next step in your studies that the course doesnt necessarily need you to go into. Also start paying attention to even the most minute details. Actively reflect on where you can gain/lose marks. And get as much feedback on everything you do.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:30 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:

Cliffs:
The whole grading/evalulation system in post-seconary education is bullshit, so this entire post is worthless.

Allan, Grover, Phantom like this.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:40 PM   #11
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Why is everyone upset? Is it because I am correcT?

Last edited by NahLeoNah : 01-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:45 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Hey, I can empathize with you and say, "I'd be mad if I had a CGPA less than 10, too."

Good thing I don't.

I'm not dissatisfied with my grades, I'm just saying GPA isn't really reflective of what its supposed to be reflective of; people get upset when it isn't high enough, and others think they're hot shit only because of all their 12s.

Grover likes this.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:47 PM   #13
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Hey, I can empathize with you and say, "I'd be mad if I had a CGPA less than 10, too."

Good thing I don't.

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/fahadmeer

Graduated with a less than 9.5 and he will be more successful then you ever will be. GPA isnt an accurate gage of intelligence or an indicator of future success.
Old 01-05-2012 at 05:54 PM  
NahLeoNah
Account Locked

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 01-05-2012 at 05:55 PM   #14
Phantom

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/fahadmeer

Graduated with a less than 9.5 and he will be more successful then you ever will be. GPA isnt an accurate gage of intelligence or an indicator of future success.
How do you know his GPA?