MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

Rapist near McMaster

Old 08-09-2013 at 05:42 PM   #16
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
People perpetuating the mindset that "women are chickens and can be treated as such" is one of the many reasons that society invests in security services, not just "it gets dark outside".
Women are generally weaker. And it's always easy to harass someone who's weaker.

That's why children harassment is a thing, like you don't see people harassing big ass bikers.
Old 08-09-2013 at 05:44 PM   #17
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Your response is again perpetuating the idea that this is the fault of the person who was assaulted, not the fault of the perpetrator.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-09-2013 at 05:44 PM   #18
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
No, because we are not talking about normal people trying to rape women, we are talking about creeps lurking at night.
No, I understand that there are dangers. But I was replying to AvocadoLover's post, which seems to be implying that raping a woman outside at night is just "something that's done" by normal people, like "plucking the feathers" off a chicken.
Old 08-09-2013 at 05:48 PM  
AvacadoLover
Account Locked

Liked: 51 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 08-09-2013 at 05:48 PM   #19
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
No, I understand that there are dangers. But I was replying to AvocadoLover's post, which seems to be implying that raping a woman outside at night is just "something that's done" by normal people, like "plucking the feathers" off a chicken.
He probably didn't word it properly.

You gotta agree with him tho. This isn't exactly the most quiet area in terms of criminal activity. If you can avoid getting in trouble, you should.

Wonder if they will make SWHAT work during summers. It's volunteer work, they shouldn't have problems with funding.

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 08-09-2013 at 05:51 PM   #20
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
If I don't lock the door to my house and stuff get stolen, its going to blame on me for not taking precaution.

More evidence to support my statement that you should take care of yourself and expect these thing to happen if you don't.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...one-20058.html

You guys are doing disservice to the female population of McMaster by not supporting this.
Oh, a male is telling me that I am doing a disservice to my own population? YUP MAKES SENSE GUYS.

Seriously, males with your mentality are the reason these things happen in the first place. Grow up.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.
Old 08-09-2013 at 05:54 PM   #21
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
He probably didn't word it properly.

You gotta agree with him tho. This isn't exactly the most quiet area in terms of criminal activity. If you can avoid getting in trouble, you should.

Wonder if they will make SWHAT work during summers. It's volunteer work, they shouldn't have problems with funding.
I agree that everyone should avoid dangerous areas. Many of my large male friends have been mugged at night, which wasn't "gender specific".

However, AL's post was not promoting a general attitude of safety. He was stating, whether he wanted to or not, that it was acceptable for women to be abused simply because "they're walking and it's dark". If it was simply a miscommunication, which seems unlikely, it's a statement that requires an apology. Comparing women to chickens as justification for this act is unacceptable.

Why was one of the first posts on this thread blaming the woman...for walking....and not blaming the man for raping? If the genders were reversed, who would you blame? If this was a crime committed by one member of the same sex to another member of the same sex, who would you blame?

Edit: *"and not blaming the man for assaulting" as rightly pointed out by Kudos.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-09-2013 at 06:32 PM.

Old 08-09-2013 at 05:55 PM   #22
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

No. No.

You do not ever blame the victim.

Your house metaphor? Not applicable in the slightest. A woman going outside is not equivalent to leaving your door open. That's like saying someone smashed in your window and stole your stuff, and everyone blaming you saying, "Well, you should have installed metal bars in your windows. I mean, if you didn't want your stuff to be stolen you should have such easy-to-break windows."

Old 08-09-2013 at 05:56 PM   #23
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post
If I don't lock the door to my house and stuff get stolen, its going to blame on me for not taking precaution.

More evidence to support my statement that you should take care of yourself and expect these thing to happen if you don't.

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...one-20058.html

You guys are doing disservice to the female population of McMaster by not supporting this.
No. Women are not property, and they are not to "be locked". Your post was not comparing an unlocked house to a locked house in terms of security.

What you were saying however is that a house that's in a crime filled area should expect to get broken into and robbed for existing.

Women should be able to walk places without getting raped or sexually assaulted.

Why have none of your posts, if so interested in promoting safety for women, been condemning the suspect? Why have you not denounced that treating women this way is acceptable? Why are you blaming somebody for walking?

That is offensive, discriminatory, insulting, prejudiced, stereotyping, promoting rape culture and generally sexist.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-09-2013 at 06:14 PM   #24
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Remember, sexual assault does not always equal rape. We don't know that this girl was raped -- it could have been something like him groping her. Obviously it doesn't make it okay, and yes we should all exercise caution knowing that this happened, but all we know is that a certifiable creep is walking around, not necessarily a rapist.

Last edited by Kudos : 08-09-2013 at 06:24 PM.

starfish likes this.
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:39 PM   #25
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
We don't know that this girl was raped
She wasn't she got freed and called for help. The guy ran off. Didn't you read the news post?

A groppist doesn't need to cover victim's mouth. You grope, and then run away. This guy tried to do the whole rapist routine. Also potential rapist, is still a rapist.
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:46 PM   #26
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Yeah, the article said... she was sexually assaulted. Again, that's a very loose term. Rape is a specific one. We don't know the facts here. I'm certainly not excusing the guy here, I'm saying that we don't know exactly how dangerous this guy is and saying theres a rapist running around the west end and inciting fear is premature.
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:50 PM   #27
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

Some of the comments in this thread are actually so stupid, I can't believe people are taking them seriously.

Also, to the post about women being weaker, I'm not in anyway physically strong, but if a man were to touch me against my will, I wouldn't be afraid to scratch, claw, and bite my way out of it.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 08-09-2013 at 06:57 PM   #28
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I understand that some of these might be troll comments, however I am sure that some people might not see any problem with truly maintaining that set of beliefs. I prefer questioning discriminatory beliefs based on erroneous assumptions because having that discussion might actually be informative and promote some positive change

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Kudos likes this.
Old 08-09-2013 at 07:02 PM   #29
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyTweety View Post
Some of the comments in this thread are actually so stupid, I can't believe people are taking them seriously.

Also, to the post about women being weaker, I'm not in anyway physically strong, but if a man were to touch me against my will, I wouldn't be afraid to scratch, claw, and bite my way out of it.
But that still doesn't mean you would be able to fight the assailant off. Many rape victims end up feeling as if they should have fought harder, that they should have been able to prevent the attack.
I know you weren't trying to say that the victim should have fought harder or anything like that, but in general, no matter how strong you are or how good a fighter, you can't necessarily fight off an attack like that. If the first thing the assailant does is come at you from behind, take you by surprise and hit you on the head with a weapon, you're going to be pretty useless in a fight no matter how strong you normally are.

That said, the weaker a person looks, the more likely they are to be targeted (for any type of attack), simply because there is more of a chance of the assailant being able to overpower them. That's not the victim's fault or blaming the victim, but it is just a general fact based on criminal psychology.

Also, someone asked about SWHAT in the summer - it doesn't run in the summer. It's not a cost thing, it's simply a lack of volunteers since there's so few people around campus in the summer relative to the school year.

Afsha-noon likes this.