MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

Rapist near McMaster

Old 08-09-2013 at 07:39 PM   #31
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

Quote:
Also, someone asked about SWHAT in the summer - it doesn't run in the summer. It's not a cost thing, it's simply a lack of volunteers since there's so few people around campus in the summer relative to the school year.
But you also need a lot fewer volunteers since there's fewer students. No?
Old 08-09-2013 at 08:15 PM   #32
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
But you also need a lot fewer volunteers since there's fewer students. No?
They still need to keep it staffed properly. At minimum you need one dispatcher and one male walker and one female walker, but then you can only do one walk every 30-40 mins (depending how long the walks are), and nobody is going to wait 40mins for a walk.

On a normal night during the school year there's usually three teams ready to go during peak hours (when night classes get out) and two teams from after that until 1am. The shifts are staggered so that there are two shifts per night and they overlap over peak hours - at least, that's how I remember it from when I was a walker.

There's also the issue of how often these people will be volunteering. If you have early classes or work in the morning, nobody is going to volunteer to stay until 1am seven nights a week...maybe one night a week, tops. I'm also assuming that you could get away with only one shift because it gets dark later. So then you have a minimum of seven dispatchers, seven female walkers and seven male walkers, but you would need more than that because realistically some of these people are going to need some shifts off or miss shifts. Also, with just this number of people you can only do one walk every 30-40min. If you can't offer the service reliably, especially a 'security' service like this, then that can cause problems for people who were counting on it. So, your ideal number of volunteers is ~45-50.

So yes, it is less than during the school year, but you're requiring a greater time commitment, offering less service, and still the number of people who would use it doesn't really make it worth the hassle. If there was a strong demand for services in the summer it's something that could be considered, but there really isn't.
Old 08-09-2013 at 10:51 PM   #33
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

What if I said the prequels were better?
Old 08-09-2013 at 11:21 PM   #34
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac-10 View Post
What if I said the prequels were better?
You would end up in a refrigerator with flesh eating cockroaches.

Back to topic.
Old 08-10-2013 at 12:17 AM   #35
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Now I haven't read everything in the middle, but as distasteful Advocado's post was, it is undeniable. Everyone is calling on him being rude and using derogatory metaphors for women but he is only pointing out the elephant in the room. He is much like Ricky Gervais, sure, he might not be politically correct but he is saying the truth and suggesting good solutions to the problem. It is hollow bullshit to say how "women should walk out at night and feel safe" because that will simply never happen. This isn't a perfect world, there will always be that pervert out there and it is your personal responsibility to take all the precautions to avoid these dangers.

P.S : So be careful girls, strength in numbers works like a charm!
Old 08-10-2013 at 01:38 AM   #36
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

No, he isn't correct. Making the observation that danger exists and that you should take care of yourself is valid and that is not the problem here. The problem is that you are blaming the woman for going out by herself instead of blaming the pervert for assaulting her.

sarahsullz says thanks to Quiver for this post.

ashleighp, Kudos, sarahsullz like this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 01:59 AM   #37
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
No, he isn't correct. Making the observation that danger exists and that you should take care of yourself is valid and that is not the problem here. The problem is that you are blaming the woman for going out by herself instead of blaming the pervert for assaulting her.
What makes you think he's not blaming the culprit as well? Just because he didn't acknowledge it, doesn't mean he doesn't. Why can't we blame everyone?
Old 08-10-2013 at 04:27 AM   #38
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
The culprit is to blame on default, he committed a crime and that must be punishable. But the existence of these rapist will always be there. You are playing the blame game, there is no productivity out of it. Since the rapist will always be there, people walking at night (be it man or woman) must take into considerations these risks. Woman who have been assaulted like this is a true tragedy, but they should think twice about going out late at night alone. This is exactly like the chicken out of the cage metaphor. OK, you don't like chickens. Then it is equivalent to taking out your blingz in a neighborhood with a high crime rate. SURE it is wrong if you are robbed, but you should have taken the proper precautions.

I do not blame the woman for being attacked, but the danger is there and the point of this whole post is to be more cautious.

Afsha-noon, lockdown like this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 08:50 AM   #39
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Your victim blaming is continuing to perpetuate a sexist mindset where women are somehow at fault for being abused.

If you do not agree with the attacker's actions, condemning the victim is not an acceptable way of making your point.

I understand that there appear to be some white knight attempts here so I ask you yet again, why are you blaming a woman for walking?

Maybe she works a night job to support her family and doesn't have a car. Why is it her fault

Look, nobody here is saying that being out at night in areas of crime is always safe. It's not.

However comparing women to property or chickens is uncalled for, sexist, unacceptable, derogatory, diminishing, fails to put the blame where it should be, accuses the survivor for something that was in no way her fault and comes across as this false but pretentious and see through attempt at chivalry. It is actually not chivalarous or 'in the interest of women'. It is backward and sexist toward women. No individual who has experienced assault or abuse requires a 'protect yourself' warning and some sort of indicator that it is 'their responsibility to not get raped'. I do not think that anybody walking at night is looking to get sexually assaulted. Women do not require people to tell us that 'bad things happen when it gets dark sometimes' to protect ourselves. We do require society to stop excusing assaults and stop blaming us just becaujse somebody else wants to assault people.

You know who should be held responsible for raping or assaulting?

The perpetrator.

Would you say the same thing if a man had experienced the assault?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-10-2013 at 09:03 AM   #40
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
The culprit is to blame on default, he committed a crime and that must be punishable. But the existence of these rapist will always be there. You are playing the blame game, there is no productivity out of it. Since the rapist will always be there, people walking at night (be it man or woman) must take into considerations these risks. Woman who have been assaulted like this is a true tragedy, but they should think twice about going out late at night alone. This is exactly like the chicken out of the cage metaphor. OK, you don't like chickens. Then it is equivalent to taking out your blingz in a neighborhood with a high crime rate. SURE it is wrong if you are robbed, but you should have taken the proper precautions.

I do not blame the woman for being attacked, but the danger is there and the point of this whole post is to be more cautious.
Actually, whether or not you intended to, you did blame the victim.

'OK, you don't like chickens'. No I love chickens. I eat some every day. I do not appreciate when somebody says that a woman walking out at night should be plucked like a chicken as though that is an acceptable thing to do and as though women walking at a certain time of the day should be raped.

and I and another poster have already addressed your 'blingz' metaphor. Please note, women are not jewellery either. We cannot 'lock up' ourselves to prevent rape or assault. It just happens.

But let me clarify even further for you.

Your analogy falls short. It is not equivalent to walking around in a high crime neighbourhood with 'blingz'. It is as though a house is built in a high crime neighbourhood, no different than 52% of the other houses there, gets broken into and then people say 'shouldn't have built a house here. You should know better than to let houses exist in high crime neighbourhoods'.

'But I locked the door...and I was careful...'
'No, your fault for your house existing. Should have known that it would have gotten broken into. Next time, try not to build your house here, or maybe hide your house or better yet, lock your house up in another safer house when it gets dark'

See how silly that sounds?

However people may not able to always choose where they live. There is no magical place with 0% rape just because 'you stay indoors'. Rape just happens. Rapes happen during the day, they happen at night. According to your logic, women should always stay inside then because rape can happen at anytime. Most assault happens with the perpetrator being somebody you know and are close to. According to your logic, if women must be responsible for this, women should then not have any friends.

But then you have to consider familial assault too...... Hmm.

Your logic breaks down. You are blaming the victim. Stop doing that.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 08-10-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Chickens.

AndrewS, fyreball all say thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.

Old 08-10-2013 at 11:37 AM   #41
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post

The rest of your post has been addressed pretty thoroughly by other posters, so I'm going to leave it alone, but I do have one question for you - what do you consider "proper precautions" to avoid an assault (sexual or otherwise)? In other words, what does a person have to do in order for you to believe that they did everything they could to prevent being assaulted?

Old 08-10-2013 at 11:57 AM   #42
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

There's so much weird logic in this thread now that I quite honestly have no idea if it's trolling or just plain ignorance anymore.

Thanks MrPlinkett for the heads-up though, I'll pass on the word to people I know in the area.

Entropy likes this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 12:40 PM   #43
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
The rest of your post has been addressed pretty thoroughly by other posters, so I'm going to leave it alone, but I do have one question for you - what do you consider "proper precautions" to avoid an assault (sexual or otherwise)? In other words, what does a person have to do in order for you to believe that they did everything they could to prevent being assaulted?
Gotta look between the lines. Obviously if a woman is sexually assaulted in her own home she shouldn't have built her home in a neighbourhood with rapists and she should have fitted her windows with metal bars and had a thick iron door with six locks to prevent the house getting broken into.

Then she should have been bundled up in a thick sweater with the hood on and baggy sweatpants and not "dress like a whore" (at all times, even in the summer) so that any of then men who happen to pass by her house and see her through her window wouldn't get the idea that she's asking for it.

Plus she should always carry some pepper spray and an army knife with her inside her house for protection and make sure she is never ever home alone ever.

Actually, I'm not even sure if that's enough. Maybe she should have Dumbledore perform a Fidelius on her house while she's at it.

ashleighp likes this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 12:55 PM   #44
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Quote:
but I do have one question for you - what do you consider "proper precautions" to avoid an assault
How about not going thru dark streets, asking a well known person to walk you home, and carry one of them pepper sprays.

Just a couple of ideas.

Quote:
There's so much weird logic in this thread now that I quite honestly have no idea if it's trolling or just plain ignorance anymore.

Thanks MrPlinkett for the heads-up though, I'll pass on the word to people I know in the area.
Yeah, all I wanted is to spread the word. People will argue about it forever.

Afsha-noon likes this.
Old 08-10-2013 at 01:52 PM   #45
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
How about not going thru dark streets, asking a well known person to walk you home, and carry one of them pepper sprays.
Pepper sprays is actually illegal in Canada.