Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conservative Majority britb General Discussion 29 05-03-2011 02:00 PM
ECON 1B03 bonus question? andru Academics 19 02-06-2010 12:49 AM

Read: Conservative Staffer Let Go, Given Big Bonus

Old 05-07-2012 at 07:21 PM   #46
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Yea, we can keep delaying it, like the Conservatives are. I think it's unlikely that someone else used the same IP that was also used for LEGIT transactions, other than the person who made that legit transaction, which has been identified as a Conservative campaign team member.

Also, reading several other news reports on the situation will tell you otherwise. While you can't link a person directly to an IP (there's always a level of deniability... You can ALWAYS claim that someone hacked your account), the account that the IP belonged to, is apparently this Prescott guy.

This whole thing stinks of dirty rotten cover up. As I've learned: If it walk, talks, has the same anatomy as, and swims like a duck... It's probably a mother F***in' duck.

Last edited by mike_302 : 05-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2012 at 08:15 PM   #47
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Yea, we can keep delaying it, like the Conservatives are. I think it's unlikely that someone else used the same IP that was also used for LEGIT transactions, other than the person who made that legit transaction, which has been identified as a Conservative campaign team member.

Also, reading several other news reports on the situation will tell you otherwise. While you can't link a person directly to an IP (there's always a level of deniability... You can ALWAYS claim that someone hacked your account), the account that the IP belonged to, is apparently this Prescott guy.

This whole thing stinks of dirty rotten cover up. As I've learned: If it walk, talks, has the same anatomy as, and swims like a duck... It's probably a mother F***in' duck.
It's good to know more details about the IP and who is belongs to but how can you say it's being delayed when there is an investigation going on (Unless the investigation is being done by the conservative party which in that case is completely ridiculous and I would be pretty outraged but I'm assuming it's not).

Unfortunately it hasn't been confirmed that Prescott is guilty. What I find interesting is the intense backing up of Prescott's denial by the conservative party which means that if Prescott is found guilty then the conservative party was definitely in on the fraudulent calls. I mean, they could have distanced themselves from the campaign worker (although I don't know what the repercussions would be because Prescott is a conservative campaign worker so the conservatives are still responsible for his actions even if the fraudulent calls were an independent action, right?)
Old 05-07-2012 at 09:43 PM   #48
mike_302
Elite Member

Here's a bit of background on the investigation.

As it stands the investigation is done by a group that has limited power, and could possibly be influenced by the government, one way or another. It is also lower on the totem poll than a Royal Commission, which would be the appropriate measure in this case given the obvious conflict of interest and delicate political scenario that may play out. It is also a matter that is fundamental to the well-being of Canadian democracy. But is Canada calling one? Are the Conservatives exercising any sort of maturity or responsibility? Nope... Just denying they were a part of it, while their political staffer is slowly but surely rolled over by a bus, along with the democracy/majority currently in power.

Harper's just scared of the Royal Commission option because once that inquiry begins, he has no power to stop it what so ever... Even if it starts dredging up some bad news bears for him.

Last edited by mike_302 : 05-07-2012 at 09:51 PM.

jhan523 says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 05-07-2012 at 10:00 PM   #49
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Quote:
Here's a bit of background on the investigation.

As it stands the investigation is done by a group that has limited power, and could possibly be influenced by the government, one way or another. It is also lower on the totem poll than a Royal Commission, which would be the appropriate measure in this case given the obvious conflict of interest and delicate political scenario that may play out. It is also a matter that is fundamental to the well-being of Canadian democracy. But is Canada calling one? Are the Conservatives exercising any sort of maturity or responsibility? Nope... Just denying they were a part of it, while their political staffer is slowly but surely rolled over by a bus, along with the democracy/majority currently in power.

Harper's just scared of the Royal Commission option because once that inquiry begins, he has no power to stop it what so ever... Even if it starts dredging up some bad news bears for him.
So who do I write to to get a Royal Commission? Queen Elizabeth?
Old 05-08-2012 at 12:49 AM   #50
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
LOOOOOOOOL

"A Postmedia report last week showed Elections Canada has alleged the Internet Protocol address in question, which is like an Internet phone number, was used by Guelph campaign worker Andrew Prescott to arrange legitimate calls through RackNine, the Edmonton voice broadcasting firm.

But the same IP address was also used to arrange the fraudulent “Pierre Poutine” calls that pretended to be from Elections Canada and sent hundreds of electors to the wrong polling stations, Elections Canada alleges in court documents."
http://news.nationalpost.com /2012/...electoral-law/

GAME OVER.

And they still deny any connection to it. Our democracy is fried.
The fact that you believe that we live in a democracy makes me chuckle.
Old 05-11-2012 at 07:05 PM   #51
mike_302
Elite Member

What's interesting now is that a lot of records that would identify this culprit have been erased. Shoppers Drug Mart security logs that would have identified the pre-paid credit card buyer; Proxy server logs...

And this isn't supposed to be some gigantic cover-up. It's all coincidence, right Conservatives?